Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d E46
330d ABS TRACTION BRAKE Lights

I have a 2000 330d, with ABS Traction and Brake lights showing, had the codes read shows a rear right speed sensor fault and a fault relating to the traction control system, garage said itís a faulty ABS speed sensor and the traction fault relates to this, so I brought a non BMW sensor off eBay, start the car and the Brake light has gone out but the ABS and Traction light remain on, until the car starts to move then the brake light also comes back on. Took it back to the garage he read the codes and reset them, no joy, he asked where I got the part, then laughed and said I was better off with a genuine BM part, so retuned the part (as it turns out it was the wrong senor for a 330d) I have now fitting a BMW part and I am still getting exactly the same result as when I fitted the non bm wrong part. My question is do the fault codes have to be reset or should they clear automatically when the sensor is fitted? I would go to my garage and get him the read and reset the codes, but he is only a one man band and has gone on his holidays for 2 weeks and I am selling the car, if not any idea what else to try? Cheers
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
They should clear themselves after a mile or so of driving.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
i did an alignment and fixed my problem also a missized tire will do it
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 330d
Bmw abs sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC1 View Post
I have a 2000 330d, with ABS Traction and Brake lights showing, had the codes read shows a rear right speed sensor fault and a fault relating to the traction control system, garage said itís a faulty ABS speed sensor and the traction fault relates to this, so I brought a non BMW sensor off eBay, start the car and the Brake light has gone out but the ABS and Traction light remain on, until the car starts to move then the brake light also comes back on. Took it back to the garage he read the codes and reset them, no joy, he asked where I got the part, then laughed and said I was better off with a genuine BM part, so retuned the part (as it turns out it was the wrong senor for a 330d) I have now fitting a BMW part and I am still getting exactly the same result as when I fitted the non bm wrong part. My question is do the fault codes have to be reset or should they clear automatically when the sensor is fitted? I would go to my garage and get him the read and reset the codes, but he is only a one man band and has gone on his holidays for 2 weeks and I am selling the car, if not any idea what else to try? Cheers
Did u ever find out what was wrong as ive got exactly the same problem as you had, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyj View Post
Did u ever find out what was wrong as ive got exactly the same problem as you had, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Start at this one post:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1)

Then read that thread, which has had over 200,000 visits and over 630 posts, so, it pretty much has all the garbage ideas people have about the trifecta weeded out, with only the truth remaining.

When you're interested in more information, then move on to here:

- What are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)

Nobody has yet failed to solve the trifecta or bifecta after reading those threads.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyj View Post
You were addressing a thread which was inactive for 4 years, the OP was never heard from again....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
the OP was never heard from again....
I had noticed that also (that the OP never reported back), but, at least the recent poster bothered to search for a thread and not just open up yet another ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta thread.

With the links we provided, nobody yet has failed to solve the trifecta (or bifecta).

This is one for the forums over the dealer and even over the Bentleys - and it's all due to 540iman's wonderful diagnostic tree!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need