Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 z-4
z4 alignment

what is normal cost for wheel alignment? and can any shop do it?
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe, 94 Q45
At the shops around me, 4-wheel alignments are usually about $75.. I usually like to go to the shops that are body shops as well, because there's a better chance they have a laser aligment system that is fairly accurate. I think I called a dealer around here and it was under $100.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
What you are looking for is a shop that has the special diagnostic computer that will reset the 'Steering Angle Sensor' (SAS) after the alignment.
99% of all alignment shops have some kind of 'laser' alignment equipment and these are computerized systems with a catalog of different makes and models that have the OEM alignment settings stored. When the operator plugins in your type of car, the computer will also advise the operator that the SAS must be re-zero'ed. The better European shops have this.

If you don't re-zero the SAS then you could have issues with the DSC behaving weird. Been there, done that.........

Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
I am guessing that a Z3 doesn't have a Steering Angle Sensor?
I had my recent alignment done at Sears, they have the laser equipment and I was allowed to watch as the guy did it.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 AM

The E46 does so I would be willing to bet the Z3 does also. I will research this.
Sears??? seriously??? Do you REALLY think the knuckleheads at Sears know about a German Car? The have a hard enough time with American cars...
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Well, I have been taking my cars to Sears for alignment for a long time, and as with those (mostly foreign) I was not disappointed.
I received a full print out of the results and appropriate comments as to what to do.
The Z3 has no adjustment for anything but "toe" for the front wheels. Everything else is factory set. If anything is off from its spec, you have either bent or worn parts.
If you don't believe me, check the repair manual, section 320-18.
I don't see any issue with what I did, and who did it. Had repairs been needed, I would have most likely done them myself, or taken the Z to a specialty shop. But just an alignment should be cake for almost any shop (IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
The E46 does so I would be willing to bet the Z3 does also. I will research this.
Sears??? seriously??? Do you REALLY think the knuckleheads at Sears know about a German Car? The have a hard enough time with American cars...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyrov View Post
The Z3 has no adjustment for anything but "toe" for the front wheels. Everything else is factory set. If anything is off from its spec, you have either bent or worn parts.
Oh, I believe you. The Z4 front suspension is the same, except if you pull the alignment pins on the top of the strut housing, which are only used for initial factory installation, you can adjust the camber.

The Z4M uses the same front suspension (modified of course) as the Z3 (E36) and a modified E46 rear suspension. I looked in my WDS and it does not list the E36 cars.... I did look in the TIS and one of the repair steps for the E36 is recalibration of the SAS.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Hum, very interesting! I am looking in my shop manual and they list it for the 2000, but not for the '98. I will have to give this some further study.
Thanks shipkiller!

Quote:

The Z4M uses the same front suspension (modified of course) as the Z3 (E36) and a modified E46 rear suspension. I looked in my WDS and it does not list the E36 cars.... I did look in the TIS and one of the repair steps for the E36 is recalibration of the SAS.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Could be they added the SAS (its used by the DSC) after 98'... It could be a model year thing..... early: NO late: yes.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM

I am going to have to take a physical look at the steering column to make heads or tails of this. If my year does have it then it is supposed to be there.

Quote:
Could be they added the SAS (its used by the DSC) after 98'... It could be a model year thing..... early: NO late: yes.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyrov View Post
I am going to have to take a physical look at the steering column to make heads or tails of this. If my year does have it then it is supposed to be there.
If you have DSC, then it has a steering angle sensor, if it only has ASC, then it doesn't have one.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Now that makes sense.