Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
LOL, yeah I remember. Audi is definitely gaining quickly on that rap.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
5 LCI supposed to be 2014.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-a View Post

the bmw community is vastly superior to the m-b community though. There's a lot of passion and knowledge in the cars, the forums have great dealer support ("ask a dealer", etc.) and names behind them to really help us find the right car and deals, etc. I've always said this, but m-b's clientele and overall approach is very "clinical" in comparison, right down to the forums. More people just in it for the badge and to get some "wheels and a drop" as opposed to truly appreciating and understanding the brand and its heritage.
+1
Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Lol, true that. She keeps saying "don't get a BMW".... in fact all my friends do because unfortunately "BMW" is associated with "d-bags" to them. I told her "Mercedes" just doesn't have the novelty to me that it did before and it doesn't feel "cool" for me to have one anymore. IMO BMW just feels more "me" these days, maybe it's an early mid-life crisis as I turned 30 to have something that makes me feel younger .

What's funny is there are "BMW girls" and "Mercedes girls". Girls who like Mercedes like it for the prestige associated with it, and girls who like BMW like it because it's sexier and fresher than Mercedes in perception (which Audi is now starting to gain on a bit). In my girlfriends case, she could care less about cars, but I think she just has a negative perception toward BMW(drivers) and attaches a higher "prestige ratio" with Mercedes therefore is worried that after the newness wears off I'll be regretting my switch (to pay more for a BMW).
My wife had 2 Audi before she traded it for her BMW. Before she bought her 3 series, she also looked at the 2011 Mercedes C300 sport because she likes the badge and the front end bing. After test driving both, she said there was no comparison, the C-class drove worst than her 2010 A4. Your girl friend is correct that there are a lot of bad BMW drivers out there, thats simply because they are younger, more Mercedes drivers are in their retirement age and barely go over the speed limit Mercedes in my opinion were never the cool car, its a safe pick, much like a rich man's Toyota. Nothing personal, but I feel that when one doesnt know much about cars or if one did not do their homework, they pick a Mercedes simply because of the name and its the easy choice.
You are 30 years old and you are driving a Mercedes? You are way too young for that car
The few of the females I know that drive BMW usually like to have fun, they know their cars somewhat and do not see a car as just a form of transportation. Females who like Mercedes just wants other people to know they are rich and couldnt care less about perforamnce, engineering and driving dynamics.
To be honest, I dont think I have even known any BMW owners who regret their purchase. The F10 is probably one of the best sport sedan I have ever driven in this price range. Its as solid as a S-class and has the best balance between comfort and performance.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: Cur: Porsche(s), Audi, MB
KA, You'll be missed in the 212 forum. Without you there, it's pretty much the same old "0-60, staggered tires versus I KNOW TIRES, AMG badge and Sprintbooster" posts. The 212 is a good car, but no doubt the F10 5 series is very worthy of consideration. It is on my short list, too. And this forum seems friendly and sincere with an interest in sharing knowledge about the cars and brand.

Word of caution though. It seems making fun of Audi and MB owners is OK, but Cadillac owners are to be left alone!

Good to see you and good luck with what ever you select!!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfster View Post
KA, You'll be missed in the 212 forum. Without you there, it's pretty much the same old "0-60, staggered tires versus I KNOW TIRES, AMG badge and Sprintbooster" posts. The 212 is a good car, but no doubt the F10 5 series is very worthy of consideration. It is on my short list, too. And this forum seems friendly and sincere with an interest in sharing knowledge about the cars and brand.

Word of caution though. It seems making fun of Audi and MB owners is OK, but Cadillac owners are to be left alone!

Good to see you and good luck with what ever you select!!
Thank you good sir! There are lots of great personalities like yourself on the W212 boards, but yeah, there's a lack of that fire-y "passion" in an overall sense that we see here. I feel like I stuck out like a sore thumb in the W212 boards and would probably fit right in here.

This seems to be a great forum and seems like people don't get derided for loving their car TOO MUCH if you know what I mean, lol.

I will definitely be eventually sticking around the W212 forum regardless of what car I get though!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Dark Knight

FYI guys, I think it does in fact look to be a 2015 Model year for the F10 facelift in the U.S.

This link states that it will most likely be revealed in Sept at the Frankfurt Auto Show, which using the normal "revealed in Europe 10 months before on sale in U.S" rule, looks like it'll be 2015 and not 2014. I guess we'll find out soon.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/fr...ntle-reworking
Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
If it is a 15, then it will probably be a Spring release.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
From a biz perspective, I don't know that they would significantly change up the packages and options like they did for 2013, including adding the individual options, just to turn right around and offer a facelift the following year.

Also, I like what another poster suggested, that they will facelift after the MB. I would do this if it were my decision. But I would do it quickly after (within four to six months), so early 2014 (as yet someone else mentioned).

So my money is on MY 2015 but early in 2014.

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Dark Knight

Yeah, I think a 2015 MY is definite at this point. I don't see why they'd fast track it (since it's always in year 4 of the 5-Series life-sycle) for the F10.

BTW, what in fact are the notable changes to the F10 for 2013? I know the M Sport differences (and apparently as I understand, suspension variations are still in question, though the package does say "M Sport Suspension").
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
FYI guys, I think it does in fact look to be a 2015 Model year for the F10 facelift in the U.S.

This link states that it will most likely be revealed in Sept at the Frankfurt Auto Show, which using the normal "revealed in Europe 10 months before on sale in U.S" rule, looks like it'll be 2015 and not 2014. I guess we'll find out soon.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/fr...ntle-reworking
That rule is for new cars, not refreshes.

FYI, Porsche Cayenne refresh coming for 2014 MY, and that was a 2011 first MY (in US).

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
BTW, what in fact are the notable changes to the F10 for 2013?
I was referring to the way they reworked the packages and options. If I remember right, the number of individual options was reduced and those options placed into packages like the executive package.

They created a few new packages because of this, such as the dynamic handling package. They also consolidated features. For example, with 2013, you cannot get just a sport package with paddle shifters. You have to get M sport to get the paddle shifters.

There were significant changes. I remember having a 2012 build designed that had everything I wanted like paddle shifters and so forth without having to get M Sport. And it had those really classy looking gazillion spoke wheels. When 2013 came, it messed everything up for me and I had to go M Sport (paddle shifters was a requirement). The wheels were no longer available. And also, 4 zone was removed as an option.

Another big change was the addition of the individual leathers, wood trims, and package. I liked this. I ordered dark red sycamore with Venetian beige (I will post pics of this never-before-seen-on-the-Internet unique combo when my vehicle arrives).

Anyway, I am doubtful they would make such significant reconfigurations of their options and packages for only a single model year.

Facelift: MY 2015 ;-)

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Dark Knight

Yes, count me into the "2015 camp" as well.

IMO 2013 MY is the perfect year to get the F10. Seems lots of quality issues plagued the car as to its defense it brought a lot of cool stuff to the segment, therefore you have 2 years of ironing out, and get it 2 years before the facelift and while the body style is still relatively new to the market.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535i M Sport
First post. I've enjoyed reading this thread as I'm stongly considering an F10. FWIW, this post on another forum suggests that the F10 LCI will start production in July '13:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758869

And this link from the same site says we'll get a look at it in March '13:
http://www.bimmerpost.com/future-bmw/
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I think the touring may be 2015 (station wagon). The rest is 2014... First link describes it best.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/10/26/sp...ries-facelift/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/10/26/sp...ries-facelift/

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sp...lci-50541.html

http://www.autospies.com/news/F10-5-...-Are-In-72969/

http://www.germancarforum.com/commun...nd-info.47290/

Last edited by miamiboyca; 12-29-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I was referring to the way they reworked the packages and options. If I remember right, the number of individual options was reduced and those options placed into packages like the executive package.

They created a few new packages because of this, such as the dynamic handling package. They also consolidated features. For example, with 2013, you cannot get just a sport package with paddle shifters. You have to get M sport to get the paddle shifters.

There were significant changes. I remember having a 2012 build designed that had everything I wanted like paddle shifters and so forth without having to get M Sport. And it had those really classy looking gazillion spoke wheels. When 2013 came, it messed everything up for me and I had to go M Sport (paddle shifters was a requirement). The wheels were no longer available. And also, 4 zone was removed as an option.

Another big change was the addition of the individual leathers, wood trims, and package. I liked this. I ordered dark red sycamore with Venetian beige (I will post pics of this never-before-seen-on-the-Internet unique combo when my vehicle arrives).

Anyway, I am doubtful they would make such significant reconfigurations of their options and packages for only a single model year.

Facelift: MY 2015 ;-)

-Corey
I agree. When I was building out the specs on a MY13 F10, it came out a bit more on the total MSRP compared to a similarly spec MY12. However, you do get more options bundled together so as a result end up with more features on the MY13.

I would not be surprised if BMW will rework their jargons/packages for MY14. That's how their marketing team thinks will create novelty among their existing lineup year after year between facelifts or a new chassis. I think their jargons/packages are already confusing enough trying to track what features/options are from year to year. ARS, Adaptive Drive, Dynamic Handling Pkg, DDC is an example. It took some research to figure out ARS and Adaptive Drive are the same thing just different marketing term from BMW. Oh, and if you get HUD, you get the "Instrument Cluster with Extended Contents". The BMW site doesn't even explain what this is. If were not for this forum, I would have turned away from this feature but it indeed is a cool feature.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I think the touring may be 2015 (station wagon). The rest is 2014... First link describes it best.
We'll see. I don't mind being wrong (but prefer being right, hehe).

I went back and checked the E39 and E60 and both went through four model years before a facelift. I didn't check, but I'd bet their other models follow the same pattern.

If the F10 facelift comes for MY 2014, it will be the fastest facelift they've done in at least a couple of decades.

Perhaps what we see being track tested isn't a face lifted F10 but an F10 with the slightly better engine the 6 and 7 already have.

I could see them adding LED lights as an option but I wouldn't call that a face lift.

-Corey

Last edited by cordoor; 12-30-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Damn K-A you jumping ship too? I haven't really posted on mbworld since I got my W212 38 months ago but I'm tired of getting E's every 3 years and instead of jumping to a cls550 I decided to go with the F10. Getting it from the same guy I get my E's from.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Looks like K-A just took delivery of a black 535 m sport. Finally took my advice
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
Damn K-A you jumping ship too? I haven't really posted on mbworld since I got my W212 38 months ago but I'm tired of getting E's every 3 years and instead of jumping to a cls550 I decided to go with the F10. Getting it from the same guy I get my E's from.
I guess we all jump ship. Here were some comparative photos I took back in Sept when we got our F10 right before we sold the W212.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=647137

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Looks like K-A just took delivery of a black 535 m sport. Finally took my advice
Yessir, and I have YOU to thank for pointing me to it (and if the car turns out to be a lemon, then it's all your fault)!

It's official, I am the very proud owner (driver) of an F10 which I got from Bimmerfest owner Jon Shafer (BMW of Santa Barbra), who is AMAZING and made this by far the best car attaining experience of my life. He takes care of Bimmerfest members with great pride and passion, and is HIGHLY recommended to anyone interested in a BMW in Cali. Thanks to Kar Don linking me to it, I found the only remaining dealer (out of seemingly hundreds I searched) that had those INSANELY GOOD 24 month deals where you basically get a $64K well equipped 535i for the Lease payment of a 3-Series and very little drive off.

I will do an extensive review and post side by sides with my W212 E-Class (which I still currently have for not too much longer) as soon as I can in another thread. But know that this car absolutely BLOWS ME AWAY, absolutely everything I was looking for. I wanted to keep the luxury, and I wanted to add a youthful spirit and energy which inspired me to want to DRIVE as opposed to simply "ride", something that feels sexier in that "I am being seduced by an inanimate object right now" kind of way. This car meets those dynamic virtues as perfectly as anything could to me right now, considering the cost especially, as I've been looking and looking. What shocks me is that it seems even quieter, more luxurious (the interior is very coddling, "at your service", cozy and the seats are incredible), and yet far sportier. I absolutely adore my E and seeing it today I was having a hard time justifying even thinking of getting rid of it, especially as I think the face on my E is one of the best on any car I've seen out there, period, but if there's a car that can make me feel good with moving on from it, I think it's this 5er.

For now, here's the special "Bimmerfest Bow Tie" treatment I got from Mr. Shafer.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 01-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 AM
cor door sedan

Congrats! Exciting!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Yeah, decided to try something different! The E is great, and the F10 is great! I was just really starting to crave something different, something with a different energy, and the F10 just creeped into my life as it was purposed to do, and finally took ahold of my brain.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Beautiful car. You made a great decision. Enjoy it.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:43 AM
Early roadfly migrant

Mein Auto: 13 535i 11 R350 98 M3/4
Congrats KA! As a current (but seldom post) MBworld member, I know how much posters there are going to miss you. As great as that board is with a few enthusiastic members like you, nothing beats a bimmer forum like this one. As you've stated, the vast info available here is unbelievable. How often do you see info like MF, residuals, factory incentives, etc, on other MB forums, or any other forum for that matter? I myself am a long time bimmer owner who has recently bought and leased several MBs (W211, W164, X164, R251) recently, but just got a 2013 535i this month due to the help of this knowledgeable forum.

In any case, congrats on the new car. It's looks fantasstic, although I have a feeling you would have preferred an Alpine White one. However, given the availability, the deal, and the chance to buy from Jon, this one is too hard to pass by, and the experience I'm sure is irreplaceable.

Hope you enjoy the car and look forward to seeing you more here AND on the other MB forums.