Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post

About redesign, there are tons of G35 never looks outdated, it was released in 2002. .
Yeah, until the new design comes out, your jaw drops, and then you're kicking yourself in your ass every time you pull up next to one on the road. Plus, it's not just the design, Infiniti is bound to offer a bunch of new gadgets and creature comforts that will make the current G look like it's decades old.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
The G37 is probably the sedan that drives the closest to what 3-series used to do. The F30 is the one that went a bit soft, not the G.

Yet, whatever the price I wouldn't want it. BTW, EPA says that it costs +650$/yr more in gas than a 328i. It is the kind of car that makes you think to your next. Much less a 3-series.

My suggestion; compromise, sacrifice some options and get a sub-46K 335i. I wouldn't be surprised that if on lease, they are cheaper than a G!

Last edited by Saintor; 12-30-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
I owned a G35 S 6MT for 5 years (May 2007 - May 2012). At the time I bought it, I also looked at the 3 series and picked the G as it met my overall requirements better at that time. It was a great car. 100% reliable and very fun to drive. It also held its value very well - I bought it for 34,000 and sold it for 17,500 5 years later with 50K miles on it. The primary downside was that the car only got 20 MPG. My requirements changed earlier this year and I wanted to move from a 6MT to an auto trans car. So I drove the G37S Auto, and in the same day drove a 328 and 335 - both with the 8-sp auto. This time, the 335 felt best to me - no-brainer better vs the G auto trans... and overall met my requirements better this time. Best part - I have a 80 mile r/t daily commute with 50% local streets and 50% highway. After 7500 miles, the 335 is averaging 26.5 MPG. This is a 30% improvement over the G... which was a real bonus especially since "better gas mileage" was not one of my requirements. If I drove this 335 for those 50K miles in the G, I would have spent $2200 less on gas over those miles.

so my advice to the OP - define your requirements, then find the best car that meets them. There is all sorts of advice and opinions on this board... some may be relevant to you, some may not. A drum teacher back in the day once told me "any sound can be a good sound, as long as it is the sound you want".
Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I just won't buy a car that I know is being completely redesigned a year later, including a BMW. If the F30 was at the end of its life cycle, I'd stay away from that too.

Again, not an issue for some, but it's a deal breaker for me.
I agree, but more so with Infiniti this time. They suddenly replaced the naming convention, it could mean they mean business this time, or it could be a flop.

Either way, wait to find out before you get stuck in a last year model, ever.

I just watched that Q50 teaser, not sure about the headlight, but that exhaust note, WOW.

Unless it is a short term lease of course.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-30-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
I would go for the G37, it handles very good and the VQ is a fantastic engine. At that price you simply can't beat the value it offers. On the other hand you do have to consider the significant difference in fuel economy between the two.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
I have been reading and posting on usenet newsgroups and BB format forums for about 16-18 years, and I don't think I have come across a more sensible bunch than this forum.

I carefully read all your well thought out posts and remembered why I had crossed the G37 off my list. First, it was obviously not discounted this heavily when I checked it out a while back. Second, I have estimated that it would cost me between $1000 to $1300 more a year in gas, negating all the savings during the minimum of 5-6 years I intend to keep the car. Third, while I would be getting a lot of features with this fully loaded G model, I actually don't care for a number of them.

So in the end, what matters is what I end up paying for a driving experience and a set of features I want. The fact that I may be getting bonus features that I otherwise would not pay for doesn't change the price equation. In terms of street price, the 328i configuration I am considering costs $39-40K and the A4 range is $34-37K. Those are the right comparison price points for me, not the equivalently loaded BMW and Audi. The loaded G37 6MT Sport will end up costing more than any of the BMW/AUdi configurations I am considering once gas is factored in. But for people who would appreciate all the extra features and are willing to pay for them in the 328i, the Infiniti seems worthy of some serious thought.

Off for a few days....
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
As you and others have already pointed out, that G = gas guzzler, there are the practical considerations of the G vs F30. The Infiniti back seat and trunk are significantly smaller than the F30 and the G37 has no fold down rear seats, not even an option.
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335, 2013 328
I had a 2008 G37S with almost every option available. It was a fine car. Fast, and solid to drive. I replaced it with a 2011 335 with M sport.

When comparing the two the 335 felt quicker and better handling. The G37 had better build qualify and was an easier car to live with on every day commutes. Also, the G37 and Inifiniti in general seem liked a better deal. BMW seems to nickel and dime you to death for little option. Thing that are even base model Nissan has like keyless ignition and doors are optional on the BMW.

So if commuting in comfort and more features for money are your goals the G37 or 37s is a better car. I handling is the goal than the 335 is better choice.

FWIW, my wife has take the 335 and have just (2 days ago) picked up a 2013 328i with sport, premium, tech, and drive assist packages + a few more options. It is a nice car, and handles well, but at over $50K it should.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrykur; 12-30-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I have been reading and posting on usenet newsgroups and BB format forums for about 16-18 years, and I don't think I have come across a more sensible bunch than this forum.

I carefully read all your well thought out posts and remembered why I had crossed the G37 off my list. First, it was obviously not discounted this heavily when I checked it out a while back. Second, I have estimated that it would cost me between $1000 to $1300 more a year in gas, negating all the savings during the minimum of 5-6 years I intend to keep the car. Third, while I would be getting a lot of features with this fully loaded G model, I actually don't care for a number of them.

So in the end, what matters is what I end up paying for a driving experience and a set of features I want. The fact that I may be getting bonus features that I otherwise would not pay for doesn't change the price equation. In terms of street price, the 328i configuration I am considering costs $39-40K and the A4 range is $34-37K. Those are the right comparison price points for me, not the equivalently loaded BMW and Audi. The loaded G37 6MT Sport will end up costing more than any of the BMW/AUdi configurations I am considering once gas is factored in. But for people who would appreciate all the extra features and are willing to pay for them in the 328i, the Infiniti seems worthy of some serious thought.

Off for a few days....
Well, your budget is a big factor.

If you're max spend is $40k, then you probably should go with the G. Because you're basically going to end up with a stripped down 328. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but even though I am fanatical BMW enthusiast, I'm also very practical and concerned about getting top value for my money. Honestly, if I had a $40k max budget, I wouldn't even be looking at the 328. You just can't get all the goodies and creature comforts for $40k. You're basically buying the badge and that's it.

I'm probably going to get slammed for saying all this, but a 328/335 is well beyond the $40k market segment. You really need to be in the ballpark of about $45k to $50k before a 328/335 should even be a consideration, and if you really want all the cool stuff, then it definitely has to be a lot closer to $50k than $45k..

Last edited by krash; 12-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
My brother had a 500/500 to the wheels tt g35 with built block z tranny blah blah and i was ****ing fun to drive. It took an extra 30k to make it fun lol.

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yeah, until the new design comes out, your jaw drops, and then you're kicking yourself in your ass every time you pull up next to one on the road. Plus, it's not just the design, Infiniti is bound to offer a bunch of new gadgets and creature comforts that will make the current G look like it's decades old.
I'm just giving my opinion about g37 in general. However, I wouldn't buy a new one either since it's the last year for the production. I bought mine 09' 650i because of love at first sight. A week later I realized my car looks identical to a 5 years older one. I always love her though.

Yes, my jaw drops when I see the 12' 650i redesign.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I shopped the G37 and dropped it from consideration after watching the crash test videos. Compare the 3 to the G in the small overlap test and it looks like the G is ripped down the side with nothing stopping it (sheet metal is just torn away).

While I hope to never use the safety built into the 328 it is good to know that it is there. Safety was one of my deciding factors.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: bwm 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KES328 View Post
I shopped the G37 and dropped it from consideration after watching the crash test videos. Compare the 3 to the G in the small overlap test and it looks like the G is ripped down the side with nothing stopping it (sheet metal is just torn away).

While I hope to never use the safety built into the 328 it is good to know that it is there. Safety was one of my deciding factors.
Looks like you had the two confused. The Infiniti is actually rated higher in the small overlap test. Both would result in driver injury though.....

Infiniti G:Acceptable

Small overlap front test results
2007-13 models
Technical measurements (driver-side occupant compartment intrusion and driver injury) for midsize luxury/near luxury cars

BMW 3 Series: Marginal

Small overlap front test results
2012-13 models
Technical measurements (driver-side occupant compartment intrusion and driver injury) for midsize luxury/near luxury cars
Old 12-31-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: bwm 330ci
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nEYVibmzUvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0zxIne9xIKk

Last edited by trcb777; 12-31-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I stand corrected on the small overlap. Thanks for correcting. Overall the 3 is a top pick and the G is not.

When viewing the video it appeared to me that the G rather than absorbing the crash survived the crash based on the side of the car being sheered off. Both cars ended up in different spots relative to the barrier based on how they took the hit.

In the end the video and not the test data lead to my concern on the small overlap.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
A well equipped G37 can be leased for $299 a month based on the ad. A similarly structured 328i lease special has the payment at $339.

I would imagine you can get more standard features on G37 and haggle for even less payment.

Ok, a quick scan on Edmunds, the best G37 lease (msrp $42k) was about $270/mo. with $1,800 total drive off, and the best 328i (msrp $40k) was about $410/mo. with $1,500 total drive off. Years and miles were similar.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-31-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 5
I have a G37x (for my wife) and a 328 xdrive coupe.* Both 2011s.

G37 os OK. Great acceleration but very nose heavy. I would be scared sh!tless to push that thing in a tight turn like I push the coupe. The AWD system is pretty stable.

However, there are things that are just inferior to the BMW:

-On long drives it is a little less comfortable. The seats are a little too short.
-When you really hit the gas (floored) the whole car buzzes. But it takes off like a rocket too.
-The nav doesn't give you traffic issues as clearly or quickly.
-The heat is always too hot and the AC too cold. With the BMW, I set it on 68 when I sign the lease and that's the last I ever do to it.
-The stock tires were bald at 25k.
-I forgot what a PITA 3k oil change interval is.
-Gas mileage blowwwws. 20 MPG if you're lucky.

However, if you're leasing Infiniti is really competitive. I am paying 30% less for the G and both cars are similarly optioned.

*I know -- someone is going to say "Why didn't you marry the BMW?"
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: N55 X5, G37, 13 N55 Mspt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
I have a G37x (for my wife) and a 328 xdrive coupe.* Both 2011s.

G37 os OK. Great acceleration but very nose heavy. I would be scared sh!tless to push that thing in a tight turn like I push the coupe. The AWD system is pretty stable.

However, there are things that are just inferior to the BMW:

-On long drives it is a little less comfortable. The seats are a little too short.
-When you really hit the gas (floored) the whole car buzzes. But it takes off like a rocket too.
-The nav doesn't give you traffic issues as clearly or quickly.
-The heat is always too hot and the AC too cold. With the BMW, I set it on 68 when I sign the lease and that's the last I ever do to it.
-The stock tires were bald at 25k.
-I forgot what a PITA 3k oil change interval is.
-Gas mileage blowwwws. 20 MPG if you're lucky.

However, if you're leasing Infiniti is really competitive. I am paying 30% less for the G and both cars are similarly optioned.

*I know -- someone is going to say "Why didn't you marry the BMW?"
+1 on the service intervals. I spent around 2k on service alone over 2+ years which you pay zero on the BMW. Something else to consider
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
You are basically paying for an over-priced 370Z GT type car which isn't nimble but designed for fast off the line acceleration and long endurance type high speed runs; target American muscle cars. The close ratio gear box is due to the fast straight line acceleration it's designed for on the lower gears then taller high speed for the higher gears. The outgoing G37 is also much heavier in terms of the car's chassis but not structurally stiff as needed for lateral G forces; hence it feels like a boat compared to an E46, E9x or F3x.

If you don't like the immediate response during quick maneuvers that the BMWs excel at then the G37 is the car for you. But if you like immediate connectivity to the road that the BMWs & Porsches feeds back, stay away from the G37.
I have driven and sat in a g37 6mt multiple times, and I own a none sport f30 328i with bridgestone summer tires.
I really dont know what your talking about the 328i being more nimble and responsive. The g37 has days less body roll when tossing it vigorously between lanes. Also the electronic power steering has absolutely no feel and feels way slower to respond to steering inputs. Also keep in mind the g37 has a double wishbone suspension which will support the extra 200 pounds much better.
To the OP a 328i will leave a lot to be asked for. If you are getting a bmw I would suggest the 335i.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I wouldn't say the G37 isn't nimble or too nose heavy from my experience. I've always felt the steering was very precise and had good feel on the RWD versions (never driven a G37x).

The only big minuses are the old body style and the horrible gas mileage.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Wow.
I am a owner of G35, G37, F30 335i (and F10 535).
Even though I really likes the Infiniti's, I always thought that something are not up to par on them.
Now I understand with this thread.
The rough ride, loud cabin, poor gas mileage, frequent and expensive services, uncomfortable seats, poor leather and overall build qualities.
All these things made my Bimmer switch much happier, as all of them are solved.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I have not driven it. I just now checked out the specs on line. So no decisions yet. But I am hoping someone can tell me more than mentioning mythical qualities, je ne sais quois, etc.

Sooooooo, is the myth reality?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyeedo818 View Post
Also keep in mind the g37 has a double wishbone suspension which will support the extra 200 pounds much better.
Double wishbone is inherently superior to the McPherson struts employed by BMW. It is also more expensive - one would expect it to be on BMWs.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
This thread represents what this forum is all about, namely good discussions with which you can make an informed decision. Good job guys.

About the G37, it WAS the latest pretender to the 3's throne. I remember reading all the mag articles about the new King. It didnt happen. Fast forward to today, and the ATS is the current contender that will also fall short. The 3er's reign will continue. It's what BMW does. Not so for Nissan.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: N55 X5, G37, 13 N55 Mspt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
This thread represents what this forum is all about, namely good discussions with which you can make an informed decision. Good job guys.

About the G37, it WAS the latest pretender to the 3's throne. I remember reading all the mag articles about the new King. It didnt happen. Fast forward to today, and the ATS is the current contender that will also fall short. The 3er's reign will continue. It's what BMW does. Not so for Nissan.
Nope, the ATS will be dethroned by the Q50 (formerly G37). That's why I never got concerned about the ATS