Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Make sure you bring plenty of lube with you if you sign that deal.
X 2. I would run like hell away from that offer. Jon or one of the other forum dealers should be able to cut you a much better (and straight forward) deal.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Blue Bimmer!

Mein Auto: 2013 335i EBII
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
X 2. I would run like hell away from that offer. Jon or one of the other forum dealers should be able to cut you a much better (and straight forward) deal.
The funny thing is the OP will likely post in a few days and advise us he decided to just go with the dealer he is working with because they have been so nice. I've seen it plenty before. You know what? If you are happy with the price and experience that is good
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I feel bad for you OP, but I'm constantly amazed by all the people who do a special order and never have their CA pull the Vehicle Inventory Report to check/double-check your options. The factory doesn't just make a mistake like this, your dealer forgot to spec the 6MT. And it could have been caught be just looking at the VIR the dealer can easily pull for you, right after he submits your order.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
The funny thing is the OP will likely post in a few days and advise us he decided to just go with the dealer he is working with because they have been so nice. I've seen it plenty before. You know what? If you are happy with the price and experience that is good
Very likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I feel bad for you OP, but I'm constantly amazed by all the people who do a special order and never have their CA pull the Vehicle Inventory Report to check/double-check your options. The factory doesn't just make a mistake like this, your dealer forgot to spec the 6MT. And it could have been caught be just looking at the VIR the dealer can easily pull for you, right after he submits your order.
This is true, but virtually no one outside a forum like this has any idea what a VIR is or even knows it exists. Also, people don't realize the order automatically defaults to an automatic transmission and that a very specific change must be marked to ensure the car is equipped with a manual transmission.

In this case an inept CA who doesn't care enough about the details of his customer's custom order is responsible for this error not being caught and corrected.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
walk. Get a better deal from a board sponsor. I have leased 3 bmws never at a penny more than the base money factor.
+1
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
So wait, did I misread thread - I am seeing .00125 when I thought base MF on 3 series is currently .00130. Maybe that an older locked rate?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
maybe i missed something but it sounded like he got them to go from .00125 to .00116. Thats a difference of about 6 or 7 dollars. Not twenty...
With 7 MSDs. So for letting them hold $4200 he should be getting like $50 a month less a payment instead of 6 or 7. Bad deal.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMonkey View Post
My CA didn't really convey to me that he knew much about the MSD program, saying very few people do it

BMW ordering guy said that he always bumps the base MF by .00040 (the maximum allowed by BMW) in order to allow the BMWFS peeps to get their commission. So he bumped it to 0.00165 and then minus 0.00049 by 7 SD gives 0.00116, which is still better than the original MF they wanted to give me lat night at 0.00125. Didn't seem like he would budge on that +40 buy rate points policy he has...

Sage advice:

• Look everything over; decide on your best price.
  • Make appointment with your dealer contact/salesman and go over everything with him in detail. Is this your salesman?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salesman 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	355044

• Having taken an hour to go through all - important you take at least that long - with long face and clearly in pain, allow as how the price is high, you still feel the shock & agony of your order "substitution," and you must take a few days to think about it. Click on image below for the reaction you should expect.

Name:	Ricky Ricardo [b].gif
Views:	56
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	355043

• Get ready for action! Expect your salesman to suddenly come alive, limber and open to options!
  • First and foremost, realize that your dealer is dung. They lied, lied, and lied again. Flock 'em - you're not their pidgeon.
  • Remember: You're in the hands of a con man when you just know he's a good guy.
  • Your negotiation will now be your revenge, best served cold. Have a Consumers' Union poop sheet on actual dealer costs + incentives, quickly available online; add just 2.5% to that for profit - no more. Don't show 'em this, just use it without mercy.

BEST o'luck to ya!

Enquiring minds 'round the Bay want to know: Which dealer was this?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-29-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Sage advice:

• Look everything over; decide on your best price.
  • Make appointment with your dealer contact/salesman and go over everything with him in detail. Is this your salesman?

Attachment 355044

• Having taken an hour to go through all - important you take at least that long - with long face and clearly in pain, allow as how the price is high, you still feel the shock & agony of your order "substitution," and you must take a few days to think about it. Click on image below for the reaction you should expect.

Attachment 355043

• Get ready for action! Expect your salesman to suddenly come alive, limber and open to options!
  • First and foremost, realize that your dealer is dung. They lied, lied, and lied again. Flock 'em - you're not their pidgeon.
  • Remember: You're in the hands of a con man when you just know he's a good guy.
  • Your negotiation will now be your revenge, best served cold. Have a Consumers' Union poop sheet on actual dealer costs + incentives, quickly available online; add just 2.5% to that for profit - no more. Don't show 'em this, just use it without mercy.

BEST o'luck to ya!

Enquiring minds 'round the Bay want to know: Which dealer was this?

Or just go to another dealer and make a great deal in about 5 minutes. Me, I have too little free time to be d!cking around with a dealer like we are doing the NHL collective bargaining agreement.

Elasticity. The cars are available at other dealers who realize that by not trying to nickel and dime people who obviously have a great deal of information, they can sell cars. Instead they treat them fairly and they build long-term relationships.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
or just go to another dealer and make a great deal in about 5 minutes. Me, i have too little free time to be d!cking around with a dealer like we are doing the nhl collective bargaining agreement.

Elasticity. The cars are available at other dealers who realize that by not trying to nickel and dime people who obviously have a great deal of information, they can sell cars. Instead they treat them fairly and they build long-term relationships.
+1

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
So what have you decided about transmission choice?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: Incoming: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
A couple things. It says you are in the Bay Area. It might be worth a train ride down to Santa Barbara to pick up a car from Jon Shafer (founder of this website) if not simply to have a great weekend and a pain free buying process. If not then you have another couple battles to go with this dealership.
So I sent him an email yesterday and as I was responding here he replied. He gave me an awesome offer. Amazing. I think I'm going to drop the order from the CA I've been working with. I've heard too many good things about Jon to pass the opportunity up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
First if they are marking up the full 4 points then there is no need to also mark up acq fee. Fight them hard on that one. In reality they shouldn't be marking up more than 2 points. At this point they are getting almost 1100 in profit from the markup and another 200 in acq fee. They may be hiding fees by grouping them but in california the most they can charge for doc fee is 80 yet they show 100 in your example. What does the car show on BMW config for invoice price? It should match his example minus maco and training. If not then he is bending you over a 3rd time.

You can get a much better deal by walking from this dealership.
The invoice price they showed me was what I saw on BMW Config + MACO/training. I think you're right about walking away

Quote:
Find a better deal with one of the sponsors

1.) You are paying way over invoice. They screwed up your 1st order. They should be giving you a good price to make up for it
2.) They are marking up the MF
3.) They are marking up the Acquisition Fee

You are in Cali. There is no reason not to contact one of the many CA board sponsors. You'll get a better deal and they will get your order correct without having to fight. You can reach John the founder of the website and a CA in Santa Barbara, CA @ 1.805.303.6004. You'll be surprised how amazing a car buying experience can be.

I love how you are paying a ton of money for MSDs just to burn through their markup,lol
You're right. And actually, from what it seems like from reading all of your responses, the maximum they can go up on the buy rate is 40 points. The initial MF I was quoted before I found out the car was misordered was 0.00174, a full 0.00049 up on the buy rate. The more I think about it the more I'm realizing how much they were actually screwing with me. Thanks for the tip. I think I'm gonna go with Jon.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: Incoming: 2013 328i
Quote:
You're right, they have been really nice, which is why I almost didn't question the whole thing originally. And no, after the awesome help and responses I've gotten here, definitely not happy with the experience anymore.

I think the mishap that occurred was actually a blessing. Otherwise, I would have probably been so stoked after seeing the car that I would have signed anything!

Quote:
snip
Thanks for the laugh

Quote:
Enquiring minds 'round the Bay want to know: Which dealer was this?[/B]

PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
So what have you decided about transmission choice?
Still want the MT. The AT was fun after driving it again, but I can't get over how much more fun sticks are to drive.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
So I sent him an email yesterday and as I was responding here he replied. He gave me an awesome offer. Amazing. I think I'm going to drop the order from the CA I've been working with. I've heard too many good things about Jon to pass the opportunity up.

The invoice price they showed me was what I saw on BMW Config + MACO/training. I think you're right about walking away

You're right. And actually, from what it seems like from reading all of your responses, the maximum they can go up on the buy rate is 40 points. The initial MF I was quoted before I found out the car was misordered was 0.00174, a full 0.00049 up on the buy rate. The more I think about it the more I'm realizing how much they were actually screwing with me. Thanks for the tip. I think I'm gonna go with Jon.
You will not regret that decision. It will change your opinion of car buying. He is a great guy. And your order will be correct because you will receive every bit of paperwork throughout the timeline including the VIR.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Still want the MT. The AT was fun after driving it again, but I can't get over how much more fun sticks are to drive.
Given you're re-ordering I'm not surprised. I guess my question was more in the context of if you had decided to keep the vehicle you ordered. Given the number of comments I read about how your original deal wasn't all that good I'm not surprised you walked.

Congratulations on the new car...even if you have to wait. One thing I've learned about waiting: You can save some serious money
Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Congrats on finding the right guy. Picking up in Santa Barbara or local delivery? Drive there's a pleasant journey South o'Soledad, but how ya gonna get there's an issue....

Misordered? Bet it wasn't - some dealers refine the art of lying, the Clintonian point o'view. I like to ID them and....stay far far away. They ordered what they needed for December's quota knowing if it didn't sell to you, will sell some other guy none the wiser.

Congrats again!

Name:	bugsbunny.gif
Views:	29
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	355207
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Misordered? Bet it wasn't - some dealers refine the art of lying, the Clintonian point o'view. I like to ID them and....stay far far away. They ordered what they needed for December's quota knowing if it didn't sell to you, will sell some other guy none the wiser.

Congrats again!
I agree. Gotta understand that mindset. They ordered auto because they knew how bad they were misleading the OP and that if he found out he'd walk and they'd have to sell a manual.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I agree. Gotta understand that mindset. They ordered auto because they knew how bad they were misleading the OP and that if he found out he'd walk and they'd have to sell a manual.
Ironically he found out because of the issue.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Hey all,

First time poster here, long time lurker. Just had to register to get some advice from you all.

Way back in early September I ordered a new 2013 328i to lease. Got it for $500 over invoice with a 62% residual, MF: 0.00150 (with 7 SD). I was told it would arrive in 6-8 weeks as it was coming from Germany.

Well, after a few delays, it finally got here today! Went over to the dealership, discussed the moneys, found out it actually came from SA, thus the timing, and then went to go to see the beauty. It was amazing. Love at first sight kind of thing..exceeeeept for the little detail that it was an automatic. I had ordered a manual transmission....sigh What's actually kind of funny is that I joked around with a buddy of mine about this happening.. not actually believing it was remotely possible!!!

My CA felt incredibly bad. I was super disappointed, but not all that upset. My options were 1) settle with the automatic transmission 2) take another manual car they had in the area that was somewhat close, but still not what I had ordered or 3) reorder from them with the assurance that it would come from Germany and therefore take only 6 weeks with locked in numbers.

I was considering option 1 (it was so beautiful!), but I'm thinking of going with option 3. In the meantime tho, I wanted to ask about the numbers. I thought when coming in today that the numbers we came up with when we ordered the car in Sept were going to carry through today. Not so. The new numbers he gave to me were:

$500 over invoice
60% residual
.00174 base MF (.00125 with 7 SD)
With the holiday discount of $1000

Are these numbers better? Because of this screw up, should I be asking for a better deal or something? I really don't know what to do at this point, if anything. My CA said he could "make it so we cut all the profit from the car," but I'm guessing he meant if I just took the automatic. Anyway, gonna sleep over this and figure out what I should do in the morning. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I would definitely go with option 3.