Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 540i 2002
shaking front steering wheel

hello,
when i drive sometimes i feel shaking vibration around 50-60mph
i was wondering what it could be i found i should do first road force balance but when i am breaking suddenly there is vibration too so i assume is a rotors
what should i do 1st? replace rotors then road force balance?
thank you
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i SP/PP
How many miles? My money is on the front control arms, if they haven't been replaced already.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM

I have 127xxx miles but I dk how many is on them ???
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540iA
Maybe just need to do a wheel balance.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Diagnostic tree ...

- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1) & severe ABS shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & how fluid-filled thrust arm bushings crack and tear causing the BMW to vibrate at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a comprehensive TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with wheel match mounting hints (1) & how a worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", aka giubo (it's not spelled guibo although it sounds like it is to some) can cause the vehicle to vibrate (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) & how to repair the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
A-Rotors

B-Front control arm bushings

C-All of the above

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM
I glow in the dark

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Here is how I would check my car.. if I had steering wheel shaking.

1st thing I would check is.. tire pressure make sure they are good with specs..
since thats free

next check your tires.. make sure they are good.. are they balanced ? make sure you check entire tire.. when I say that I mean also the sidewalls towards the engine side.. not just the outter..

next would be your brakes and rotors.. if your rotors are not even or smooth.. when you step on the brake you willl get a shaky steering wheel... which happened in my case..

because I did not replace rotors when replacing brakes the first time.. so second time around I replaced both rotors and brakes and steering vibration was gone... I usually get shaky steering when I step on the brake and higher speeds.

check that.. next would be your control arms ? and other suspension issues.. but I think if you checked the above you should be good to go.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Diagnostic tree ...

- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1) & severe ABS shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & how fluid-filled thrust arm bushings crack and tear causing the BMW to vibrate at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a comprehensive TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with wheel match mounting hints (1) & how a worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", aka giubo (it's not spelled guibo although it sounds like it is to some) can cause the vehicle to vibrate (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) & how to repair the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).
driver shaft is that center driver shaft because i can hear from there like knocking sound,,
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyy View Post
Here is how I would check my car.. if I had steering wheel shaking.

1st thing I would check is.. tire pressure make sure they are good with specs..
since thats free

next check your tires.. make sure they are good.. are they balanced ? make sure you check entire tire.. when I say that I mean also the sidewalls towards the engine side.. not just the outter..

next would be your brakes and rotors.. if your rotors are not even or smooth.. when you step on the brake you willl get a shaky steering wheel... which happened in my case..

because I did not replace rotors when replacing brakes the first time.. so second time around I replaced both rotors and brakes and steering vibration was gone... I usually get shaky steering when I step on the brake and higher speeds.

check that.. next would be your control arms ? and other suspension issues.. but I think if you checked the above you should be good to go.
oh ok i will check it
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM

I have shakes too, at any speed. higher speed more shake. I need rotors...

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
I have shakes too, at any speed. higher speed more shake. I need rotors...
When it start shaking on 60 I have to speed up so it won't shake
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 AM
I glow in the dark

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orim View Post
When it start shaking on 60 I have to speed up so it won't shake
judging from what you are saying.. I will have to say its your rotors.. its not smooth and even so you getting the vibration as in my case...

same case with me.. when I speed up shaking is gone.. but still once I apply brakes I get alot of vibration and shaking from steering wheel.. after I changed rotors and brakes... shaking is gone... I even changed my tires since I had not changed them in like 5 years lol..

my car runs smooth now.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i 5 speed
I had shaking in my front end, with the steering wheel vibrating above 40 MPH. I hunted the problem down for a month, finally noticed the front right wheel was running hot. If you felt the center of the wheel after driving a while, compared to the other side, it was hot. I did notice after a while that if I stepped on the brake while going backwards, the problem would go away.

Traced it to a bad brake caliper. It seems the piston was shifting inside the caliper, and would not release after the brakes were applied, causing the vibration in the wheel. When I stepped on the brake going backwards, the brake piston would re-position itself, and the brakes would release. Changed out the caliper, problem solved. But a tough one to figure out!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM

^ that's a good one. thanks for letting us know. Nice signature pic of your interior!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncmozo View Post
I had shaking in my front end, with the steering wheel vibrating above 40 MPH. I hunted the problem down for a month, finally noticed the front right wheel was running hot. If you felt the center of the wheel after driving a while, compared to the other side, it was hot. I did notice after a while that if I stepped on the brake while going backwards, the problem would go away.

Traced it to a bad brake caliper. It seems the piston was shifting inside the caliper, and would not release after the brakes were applied, causing the vibration in the wheel. When I stepped on the brake going backwards, the brake piston would re-position itself, and the brakes would release. Changed out the caliper, problem solved. But a tough one to figure out!
i had exactly same like you!!!