Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Moderate ONR Workflow

I'll be picking up my Black metallic sapphire car soon and i've already decided I'll be going the ONR route for the winter. I plan on using ONR with the 2 bucket system and Adams detail spray. However I want my paint protected well and i saw Adam's sealant which looks interesting. But I'm not too sure if the sealant should be a replacement to the detail spray or a compliment for it before or after. Should I only chose one of these products? Or should the sealant only be used ever so often? Does the adams sealant provide the same shine as the detail spray?
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM

anyone?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
detail spray won;t provide any protection so some kind of sealant/wax will be needed.
I don;t know about adams but typically sealants need to be applied 2-3 times a year depending on conditions.
Most sealants and waxes will provide much more shine than a detail spray.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
detail spray won;t provide any protection so some kind of sealant/wax will be needed.
I don;t know about adams but typically sealants need to be applied 2-3 times a year depending on conditions.
Most sealants and waxes will provide much more shine than a detail spray.
Thanks. Would you reccomend a wash, then detail spray, then wax/seal? Or... wax/seal, and detail spray on top of the wax/seal. Or just forgo the detail spray?

Also you can reccomend a sealant that also gives a nice shine?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Wash, claybar (as needed), polish (as needed), sealant/wax.

Detail spray doesn;t get you much by the way of shine. Shine comes from the surface preparation (e.g. clay, polishing) and from the sealant/wax. I really only use detail spray as a lube for the claybar and to touch up a spot here and there.

as for sealants and waxes there are lots of great products. It sort of depends on what properties you desire, If your goal is to apply sealant as infrequently as possible over the year then go for something synthetic like Zaino or Klasse. A lot of folks here really like those products. If you want to maximize depth of shine and don;t mind having to wax your car more frequently then the natural caranuaba waxes are the best. Personally I like hybrid sealant-waxes that combine the best of both (natural waxes for shine with synthetic polymers for durability). I use Einszett Glanz and Dodo Juice Blue velvet pro. Both give great deep shine but also have some good staying power.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-glanz-wax.html
http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-blue-velvet-pro-wax.html

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinipirate View Post
Thanks. Would you reccomend a wash, then detail spray, then wax/seal? Or... wax/seal, and detail spray on top of the wax/seal. Or just forgo the detail spray?

Also you can reccomend a sealant that also gives a nice shine?
Since you are already using Optimum products, you might want to look at Optimum Car Wax (OCW). You can just wash with ONR, then every few washes just spray and wipe with some OCW. I use OCW in between full clay/polish/sealant routines and it works great. Very easy to use. If you do this, you can just skip the detail spray.