Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
Bmw x5

My x5 4.4 is blowing out smoke after idling or when the temperature changes to warm or hot. I was told the either my rings are crack or warp. The smoke doesn't happen or the time and the engine is not knocking or ticking. A old school mechanic told me to change the oil once a month for three months and to put no smoke additive in the engine each time. He wants me to use 10/40 or 20/50 regular oil non synthetic. He stated that the regular oil may seal the rings if their not cracked and stop the occasional smoking. My question is for a BMW mechanic or someone with more knowledge about the x5 4.4 engine then me. Can the x5 take regular oil without any further complications. The engine specs call for 100 % synthetic oil but can it still run on regular. Please help need further advice???
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5 diesel
Have you checked on the valve stem seals?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
No, I did not. I was told that its gets a little complicated when you have to go inside the engine and most people only recommend BMW for that. I am not looking to spend a couple of thousand at the dealer. If my mechanic was confident about going inside the engine I would but, he is not. I need someone good that wont kill my pockets. If it was just a simple job I would do it, because I like my X5. If you have more details or advice I am open.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4i
What vdiddy said is right on. I am dealing with this now and the extended warrantee guy tells me they deal with 10 per week. A compression test will tell. Get it done if you have a policy to pay. It's about 8K.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: E53 4.4i X5
Absolutely right, what he said may well sort your problem, if it is that! Compression test deffo.

I hope you haven't discounted your ccv and oil seperator for being the cause of your oil burning because these are much more common to fail on the M62TU engine than the rings etc.. Oil will get through to the intake easier when hot and give these problems your describing.
I'd almost guarantee it will be your problem..

Last edited by Graham132white; 12-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5 4.4i
Our 2004 X5 4.4i was blowing out black smoke the whole time the engine was running. Luckily it was still under CPO warranty. We took it to the dealership and they replaced the cylinder heads. This completely fixed the problem we have never had this problem again. I am pretty good at knowing cars but I think that when black smoke is pouring out it means the car is burning oil. I can't remember because we had to replace it so many years ago but the problem is gone and it was fixed under warranty. Please tell me if this is the same problem!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtudas View Post
Our 2004 X5 4.4i was blowing out black smoke the whole time the engine was running. Luckily it was still under CPO warranty. We took it to the dealership and they replaced the cylinder heads. This completely fixed the problem we have never had this problem again. I am pretty good at knowing cars but I think that when black smoke is pouring out it means the car is burning oil. I can't remember because we had to replace it so many years ago but the problem is gone and it was fixed under warranty. Please tell me if this is the same problem!
Black smoke will indicate that the engine is running to rich (too much gas is being sent to the cylinders). I don't see how replacing or repairing a head would fix the problem. The rich condition can be a clogged or dirty air filter, injectors that are not closing so more gas is being injected into the cylinders all the time. Since Dealers are reimburse by the factory for all repairs made on a car that is under warranty, the Dealers some time pad the repairs.

If a car is burning oil it will be Blue smoke.

If a car shows a lot of white smoke the headgasket is leaking coolant into the cylinders or you have a cracked block.

Last edited by upallnight; 12-31-2012 at 07:19 AM.