Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Headphone Suggestions

Looking to buy myself a Hanukkah present, was thinking it's time to upgrade my old headphones that are coming apart. I'm not a huge audiophile, but want speakers that have awesome sound (not Beats that only have great bass) and make it sound like i'm right there in the studio, regardless if I'm listening to Lil Jon or to Bethoven. Comfort is also hugely important. I'd probably be wearing them for hours on end, so needs to be super comfortable and lightweight. I also do want some noice cancellation but not necessarily like the expensive and battery-heavy Bose ones.

I was considering the V-Moda Crossfades (http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Over...rds=headphones). They look really cool and have memory foam ear pads which sound amazingly comfortable! Sennheisers are another possibility. Unfortunately i don't think i can go to any store and tries all these on and test them out, so looking to you guys for advice. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 PM
My wife drives the 325i

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
I like the Grado headphones for authentic reproduction of the frequency spectrum. These headphones feature foam inserts that do require periodic replacement. However, the acoustical qualities of the headphones allow for the sound to be directed towards and away from the ear - a feature that allows a more realistic reproduction of sounds (the auditory canal is a closed system and an air tight seal hinders the natural air movement that is a major characteristic of "unadulaterated" music). However, people nearby may complain of the "noise leakage" that is associated with this type of design. The headphones may appear to cheaply made with plastic components that do not correlate with the sound quality. I haven't heard comparable headphones in this price range. Key point: the base is not enhanced or "beats" comparable.

I listen to predominantly classical music.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige...ado+headphones

I hope that this is helpful . . .
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I have Shure ear phones and love them, the foam inserts are great and get rid of lots of back ground noise.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
I had a set of vmodas DOA from Amazon. I have a pair of Klipsch S4i Rugged for the gym and while the sound is good I have trouble maintaining a seal for good bass. Best I've had are Etymotics but they don't hold up for workouts.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
I ll have to try that
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Jetta
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-reviews/

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." – Thoreau
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: Audi TT Roadster
Boss Headphones are best i'm always prefer to use these headphones.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
I've used nothing but various Shure headphones over the last decade or so.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM

So i decided to give the V-Moda a shot. I'm no audiophile, but i think they sound pretty damn good. And people say they need to be burned in to sound even better. The only kinda disappointing thing was I thought the memory foam ear pads would be way more comfortable than they actually are. Maybe they'll get more comfy too. And the case it comes with is really cool too.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
I have Shure ear phones and love them, the foam inserts are great and get rid of lots of back ground noise.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
+1. Love my Shure sound isolating earphones. Sound quality is excellent.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
I have no direct experience to offer. However, Sound and Vision magazine (online) are constantly reviewing earbuds and headphones.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
I've used the Bose for years and I love them. For NC I think they can't be beat - I got them originally for flying, but now that I work in a cubicle they're just as effective at blocking out coworkers Very comfortable (which is really important if you have them on for hours at a time) and they sound fine (I am not an audiophile either).

Not a fan of the earbuds nor the "on the ear" as they get uncomfortable quickly (at least for me).

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
I have those V-Moda crossfades. They're still pretty bass heavy and is good for mainly house/hip-hop type music. If you're no audiophile you might not notice any difference while listening to other genres. Also they have a really nice woven cord that doesn't get tangled easily which is a pretty big deal I think. I don't use them anymore though... I bought these after much research and honestly believe they're the best over the ear headphones you can buy. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...audio+technica
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
I have those V-Moda crossfades. They're still pretty bass heavy and is good for mainly house/hip-hop type music. If you're no audiophile you might not notice any difference while listening to other genres. Also they have a really nice woven cord that doesn't get tangled easily which is a pretty big deal I think. I don't use them anymore though... I bought these after much research and honestly believe they're the best over the ear headphones you can buy. http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...audio+technica
Yes, the woven cord is super nice. Are these really comfortable for long periods of time? And do they do anything to drown out background noise? The modas don't have active cancellation, but they def drown out some background even with no music on.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
Yes, the woven cord is super nice. Are these really comfortable for long periods of time? And do they do anything to drown out background noise? The modas don't have active cancellation, but they def drown out some background even with no music on.
Well it depends. The V Modas are tighter but weight slightly less than the M50s. With any over the ear headphones I have to take them off if I'm wearing them for more than three or four hours. In terms of passive noise cancellation I'd say they're both on par with maybe the M50 having a slight edge but not by a huge margin. The memory foam on the V-Moda is also a lot softer than the M50 but it tends to make your ears sweat sometimes. They're both good cans but I'm sure you realize with the V-Moda a lot of details is geared towards aesthetics. The M50s are pro grade studio monitors so the drivers are excellent and the low, mid, and high response are unmatched. The reviews speak for them self... Both are great headphones though I don't think you made the wrong choice. I still break out the V-Modas every now and then plus they look cool. I'm just glad you didn't buy dre beats and think they're amazing headphones