Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Issues with Shutting engine off, and Automatic Door Locks

Hi all,

After having a few days to drive my X1 around and configure some settings, I noticed that shutting down / exiting the car seems to be a lengthy process, or maybe I'm just missing something?

First, I have to press the engine start/stop button twice: Once to shut the engine off, and then a second time to shut down the radio and everything else. Otherwise, when I get out and shut the door, all this stuff is still on.

I also have my doors set to automatically lock after I start driving. Problem is, they don't automatically unlock when I am done driving.

So basically my shutdown procedure involves pressing the start button to stop the engine; pressing it again to stop the radio; then pressing the central door lock/unlock button so I can open my door. If I don't do this, then I have to use the door handle twice; once to unlock the door, and a second time to open it. havign to routinely press three buttons seems unnecessarily complex for shutting down the car and exiting it.

Am I missing something, or is ending your drive with the X1 really this complicated? Are the doors supposed to unlock when you've shut everything down? On my other cars, shutting down / unlocking / exiting the vehicle is decidedly simple (only one button press - which stops the car, shuts off radio/etc upon door opening, and unlocks doors) and doesn't require a "checklist." Anything I can do to simplify this at all?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
If you press and hold the stop/start button, it will shut off the engine first and then the auxiliary power. No need to press the button twice. I cannot comment on the unlocking because I do not have my doors set to auto lock. Maybe holding the button will unlock the doors as well? Give it a try and let us know.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I will give that a shot next time I head out to the car. If it doesn't address the door locking issue, I suppose I can always simply disable the auto-locking in the first place.

Thank you for the quick reply!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
If you press and hold the stop/start button, it will shut off the engine first and then the auxiliary power. No need to press the button twice. I cannot comment on the unlocking because I do not have my doors set to auto lock. Maybe holding the button will unlock the doors as well? Give it a try and let us know.
This is true for some older models, apparently including the X1. On the more recently designed ones, like the F25 and F30, a long press does no more than a short press. But on those cars (as well as older models), once the engine is shut off, exiting the car and locking it will shut down the rest of the electricals, so the second press is, to that extent, not necessary.

As far as the door locks are concerned, there are a couple of solutions. The one I favor is to disable the auto-locking. Driving around with the doors locked serves no useful purpose that I can see. Another possible approach is to code the car's computer system to unlock the doors automatically when the car is shut off or put in Park or whatever. This can be done, apparently, and is a standard feature in some markets.

One last option: an impact strong enough to deploy airbags will also unlock the doors. So there's that . . . .

Last edited by raleedy; 12-31-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
This is true for older models, but not for those equipped with Auto Start/Stop. A long press does no more than a short press.
Please define "older" models. I have a 2013 with ASS, and a press and hold is all I have to do to shut everything down.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the additional info. I figure the auto-door-locking is certainly not essential, but it's been more or less standard on my past vehicles so I guess I'm just really used to it. But it's nice to know that I can unlock the doors by crashing hard enough!

Between possibly disabling that, and the few tips you both have suggested, it looks like sorting this out may be a bit easier than I thought.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Please define "older" models. I have a 2013 with ASS, and a press and hold is all I have to do to shut everything down.
Whoops, well, then, I guess "older models" include the E84, which has been around outside the US for several years. F10, F25, F30 don't have the "long press" like my E92.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
A double pull on the door handle should unlock the doors in your car. Also, as others have mentioned, you either press stop once and then lock your car to turn off your accessories, or you press and hold stop to do so.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM

Well guys, I verified that holding the start button for a split second longer does indeed shut off everything else. Good enough for me! I love these simple problems where it turns out to be pilot error, and not a fault of the device.