Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Coolant top-off frequency

Last night I got a warning that my coolant was low. This AM I added a quart or so of coolant. I am wondering how often folks have had to do this?

I have 14k miles. I assume they checked the coolant level in the standard oil change maintenance? That was 5 months ago for me. I haven't noticed any leaking.
Should I be worried about this?

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Definitely you should be worried. It is not normal; you probably have some sort of leak. You need to get the cooling system pressure-tested.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325, 2011 335d
Same issue for me at 15k...... stoped by the dealer and they top it off, so far 34k is all good......I wondered the same thing , this should be part of the maintenance check.

Keep an eye on it, if you get the warning again take it in.

Enjoy,

P

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Bimmer App

Loving Life!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Last night I got a warning that my coolant was low. This AM I added a quart or so of coolant. I am wondering how often folks have had to do this?

I have 14k miles. I assume they checked the coolant level in the standard oil change maintenance? That was 5 months ago for me. I haven't noticed any leaking.
I have a 1999 528 (180K miles), and have never had to top off the coolant or oil between 10K oil services.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post

It's not uncommon to need a top off once a year once the weather turns cold. There are always minor losses of coolant from presssure burping, especially in the warmer weather. Then when it gets cold and the level gets a little lower due to contraction, you get the low level warning.

Yes the dealer is suppose to check this during regular service but then it's suppose to be checked cold, and they are doing it hot.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
It's not uncommon to need a top off once a year once the weather turns cold. There are always minor losses of coolant from presssure burping, especially in the warmer weather. Then when it gets cold and the level gets a little lower due to contraction, you get the low level warning.

Yes the dealer is suppose to check this during regular service but then it's suppose to be checked cold, and they are doing it hot.
Why would the overflow tank not be able to handle that? Or do these cars not have an overflow? Just wondering because I never have had to add coolant to a vehicle unless I had a leak or something worse that was consuming it. But I also have not spent extended periods of time in what most would classify as cold weather.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
The overflow/expansion tank does handle this. But there are minor losses that over a period of year(s) may require the system to be topped off. And it will likely show up in the cold weather. The pressure cap will release air when the system goes from a very cold to very hot state, this is normal. But some liquid will be carried over in that burp. After a year or 2, you might have to add a cup or so of coolant. If your adding quarts/gallons or more than once a year, yes, you have a problem.

The dealer should be checking this during routine maintanance, but if they are using the cold coolent level point when they are checking it hot, then it's underfilled. My recommendation is to ONLY fill to the minimum (cold) point, no more. I have found that if you fill to anything more then min recommended, it will only burp out anyway.

Last edited by KeithS; 01-01-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep an eye on it and get it looked at if it persists.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878