Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
BMW destined to live a short life..

Hey all, I am not usually in this board, but I have an 03 745i... we are noticing alot of issues with our cars as soon as 50-60k... BMW has decided to put our cars (Yours included) to 105deg celcius meaning they run at around 225deg f. The similar engines to ours would run to 200k with slim to no issues, and now our engines are leaking oil and coolant everywhere, smoking because of valve stem seals, trans issues because of hot engines.. they are just falling apart.. I bought my first BMW (a 3 series) years ago and loved it. After I was rearended while stopped at a redlight by someone with no headlights on I bought an S class MB. It ran at about 85c, and didn't leak at all, had no issues.. I can't help but feel I sold my good working S and added another 6k to buy a leaking, falling apart pile of junk, and it's a shame, because I love the car, but BMW has figured out if they make it fall apart quickly after warranty they feel we will come buy another one..

Well I talked to one of the sales guys about the newer F- 7 series... I was telling him how sick it is that we have to be grateful if we make it to 100k without major repair, and he said, yeah well, we're worried about the new ones. Smaller engines and forced induction, we're wondering if they will even make it to 100k! I was blown away!

Anyway, my reason for posting here, I really hope you guys can complain to your SA, or BMW in your country if you are having issues.. if your not, well just wait, when this horrible heat unfortunately starts eating into your engines seals and gaskets and you start leaking everywhere I really hope we can get BMW to realize that we have caught on, and know why this is happening.. If MB can run their cars at 90c or below why can't BMW??

Thanks, and sorry for my rant!
Ads by Google
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi
Neverror looked at it this way, but I'd have to agree, the cars used to be bulletproof and now we know some systems (coolant especially) are designed for only 100,000 miles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 09 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
Neverror looked at it this way, but I'd have to agree, the cars used to be bulletproof and now we know some systems (coolant especially) are designed for only 100,000 miles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
It's unfortunate but I imagine it was a business decision to pad their pockets as opposed to care about their customers. It also doesn't come as a surprise that the CPO warranty doesn't cover most leaks.. pretty ridiculous if you ask me. The amount of money dealerships make on service is absolutely insane. I have a good buddy as a service adviser and he tells me about the horror stories of $10-15k repair bills.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
It's a lot of cars, not just BMW. But....BMW really sticks it to old Rolls Royce customers!! Our Sales guy and very good friend, tells us that when people bring their early 2000's Rolls Royce Silver Seraphs in for service ( parts heavily based on the late 90's 7 Series)....the repair bills are ALWAYS $8-10,000. It's crazy!!

We bought my our Sister in Law a 1994 E320 for basic transportation....and just last week it had over $2000.00 of repairs. Old cars are just that....Old cars!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Hey all, I am not usually in this board, but I have an 03 745i... we are noticing alot of issues with our cars as soon as 50-60k... BMW has decided to put our cars (Yours included) to 105deg celcius meaning they run at around 225deg f. The similar engines to ours would run to 200k with slim to no issues, and now our engines are leaking oil and coolant everywhere, smoking because of valve stem seals, trans issues because of hot engines.. they are just falling apart.. I bought my first BMW (a 3 series) years ago and loved it. After I was rearended while stopped at a redlight by someone with no headlights on I bought an S class MB. It ran at about 85c, and didn't leak at all, had no issues.. I can't help but feel I sold my good working S and added another 6k to buy a leaking, falling apart pile of junk, and it's a shame, because I love the car, but BMW has figured out if they make it fall apart quickly after warranty they feel we will come buy another one..

Well I talked to one of the sales guys about the newer F- 7 series... I was telling him how sick it is that we have to be grateful if we make it to 100k without major repair, and he said, yeah well, we're worried about the new ones. Smaller engines and forced induction, we're wondering if they will even make it to 100k! I was blown away!

Anyway, my reason for posting here, I really hope you guys can complain to your SA, or BMW in your country if you are having issues.. if your not, well just wait, when this horrible heat unfortunately starts eating into your engines seals and gaskets and you start leaking everywhere I really hope we can get BMW to realize that we have caught on, and know why this is happening.. If MB can run their cars at 90c or below why can't BMW??

Thanks, and sorry for my rant!
best post ive seen here.

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
I was driving to work in my Chrysler and noticed, when fully warmed up, it runs about 205F. A NA 6.4L V8 runs cooler than my Turbo I6! 260F is my redline, that can't be good for the BMW to be normally running at ~240-250F

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 12-30-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
well, I have a Bmw mech and tells me the e65 was the last good one... Supposidly the new 7's have injectors that fail at 50k, and the turbos who knows.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad540 View Post
well, I have a Bmw mech and tells me the e65 was the last good one... Supposidly the new 7's have injectors that fail at 50k, and the turbos who knows.
Omg if that mechs statement is true then bmw is doomed.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
Omg if that mechs statement is true then bmw is doomed.
Every generation seems to think the next is devolution. I'm sure the 3-Series were considered by many to be a step down from the 2002s.

But BMW is resilient. They will compete.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

the similar symptoms between the f and the e65 are reminiscent of each other
jerky trannies, failing amps, engine issues bc of high temps. will the f's interior kick and pillar panels peel with time too? will your secondary air system get coked with burnt oil?
if that is competing then..
idk im not saying one generation is better than the other IMO no car at this price point or higher should be at risk but maybe its my fault for thinking cars shouldnt have so many silly issues?
i guess many ppl dont care because they wont own the car for that long.

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
the similar symptoms between the f and the e65 are reminiscent of each other
jerky trannies, failing amps, engine issues bc of high temps. will the f's interior kick and pillar panels peel with time too? will your secondary air system get coked with burnt oil?
if that is competing then..
idk im not saying one generation is better than the other IMO no car at this price point or higher should be at risk but maybe its my fault for thinking cars shouldnt have so many silly issues?
i guess many ppl dont care because they wont own the car for that long.
But what are their competitors doing? If everyone else is making cars that are more durable, then they will do the same. It seems that you can expect the same from MB, Jaguar, Audi, you name it. If you want durability, you go cheap and cheerful. I'm not excusing BMW, and I only know them, but you guys out there with Mercedes's and Audis, how do they compare?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
But what are their competitors doing? If everyone else is making cars that are more durable, then they will do the same. It seems that you can expect the same from MB, Jaguar, Audi, you name it. If you want durability, you go cheap and cheerful. I'm not excusing BMW, and I only know them, but you guys out there with Mercedes's and Audis, how do they compare?
My cousin has an ls460 so far flawless still cpo with 86k on it since 50 something no real issues, maintenance visits. audi i have no clue ive owned two mbs never an s class e and c and they were without issue. My aunt had matching 5 series with her husband and that ended up having some issues (n62 v8) now she has a newer c class and loves it
I dont know about the new s class either but from what i read there wasnt much of an issue besides a recall on a bearing in the drivetrain that whined loud and failed prematurely.
I will be in the market for a newer car soon. Love the bmw look but i will probably never buy a 7 again based off my experience

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
The fact is that engines run more efficiently at higher temps. Better power, fuel economy, less emissions, so I fear that this is a trend that is here to stay. Lets just hope that they can inprove the materials used for seals, gaskets, etc.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
The fact is that engines run more efficiently at higher temps. Better power, fuel economy, less emissions, so I fear that this is a trend that is here to stay. Lets just hope that they can inprove the materials used for seals, gaskets, etc.
Yeah better fuel economy when your engine is working on the edge and in summer time you Can actually hear detonation sounds did you notice your car is slowish and takes more gas in the summer ???
90C is considered to be the best for gasoline engines period.