Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Here's What I Ordered Just Yesterday:

Base 4-Door 328xi
Alpine White
8-speed Automatic Steptronic Transmission
Premium Package w/Black Dakota Leather
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Technology Package
Heated Front Seats
Park Distance Control
High-Beam Assistant
HK Sound System
Dark Burl Walnut Trim

Price: $48 below invoice.

Can got called in yesterday, should be delivered, when, mid-March?

I sold off my 2009 328xi sedan in mid-December. Am now driving my lovely bride's 2008 328xi while I wait.

You may now criticize my choices.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688

Last edited by chasfh; 01-01-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forgot transmission details
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Base 4-Door 328xi
Alpine White
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Technology Package
Heated Front Seats
Park Distance Control
High-Beam Assistant
HK Sound System
Dark Burl Walnut Trim

Can got called in yesterday, should be delivered, when, mid-March?

I sold off my 2009 328xi sedan in mid-December. Am now driving my lovely bride's 2008 328xi while I wait.

You may now criticize my choices.
Looks like a lovely build. Waiting is going to be easier for you since you are already driving a Bimmer. I don't have that luxury. Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Good options....
Don't know where you live but if you're in a place that gets snow 3-4 months, I would add the Cold Weather package.

Disclaimer: this one's only if you're into sporty look..
See if your bride agrees to black racing stripes... the car would look amazing! You can take them off after a couple of years when you get tired of them... :P
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Playin' With Your Head

I live in Chicago and I did get heated front seats, mainly because i don't like wearing winter clothes when I drive. I don't really need a heated steering wheel.

Racing stripes? Hmmm ... that's a thought.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Base 4-Door 328xi
Alpine White
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Technology Package
Heated Front Seats
Park Distance Control
High-Beam Assistant
HK Sound System
Dark Burl Walnut Trim

Excellent price! Congratulations! you will love it
Only question, I was curious why you choose a Base? Reason, you are getting the DHP but the base has 17" wheels and any one of "the lines" comes with better handling "18" wheels and superior trim interior and exterior, again just curious

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
How does one manage to pay less than the invoice price? People here in Canada are telling my 5% above invoice is about as well as you can do, and you're saying you didnt even pay invoice. That baffles me...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
jstuds: Canada car market is a bit tough.. I have few relatives there and they told me so.. To go around invoice price, look for board sponsors or a well-informed dealer/CA who would not try to BS you..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
How does one manage to pay less than the invoice price? People here in Canada are telling my 5% above invoice is about as well as you can do, and you're saying you didnt even pay invoice. That baffles me...
Depends on if the OP included the holiday cash and any other rewards in the calculation. Below invoice is tough to do in the states without subtracting these out, though it is possible that he achieved that goal. More power to him if that's so.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Only question, I was curious why you choose a Base? Reason, you are getting the DHP but the base has 17" wheels and any one of "the lines" comes with better handling "18" wheels and superior trim interior and exterior, again just curious
I simply didn't want to spend the extra two to four grand for any of the lines. The aesthetic differences of the lines over the base was not substantial enough for me to warrant the additional expense. Even with 17 inchers, I think I will still get enough value out of ZDH to make it worth the extra spend.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Depends on if the OP included the holiday cash and any other rewards in the calculation. Below invoice is tough to do in the states without subtracting these out, though it is possible that he achieved that goal. More power to him if that's so.
The price does not include the $1,750 cash back for financing. I put my business up for bid among the various dealers in my area, and I bought from the dealer who gave me the best price. Simple as that.

I think the winner went under invoice because there was some below-the-line money being paid them for hitting a sales or CSI target. I don't know that for sure, but I suspect that's the case. Otherwise, why take a loss on the car?

BTW, regarding the cash back—when I pick up the car, I will write a check for all but $10,000, which I will be financing over four months. The cost of the money on a loan like that is $68—not a bad trade-off to get $1,750. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Even with 17 inchers, I think I will still get enough value out of ZDH to make it worth the extra spend.
I agree.

Quote:
The price does not include the $1,750 cash back for financing. I put my business up for bid among the various dealers in my area, and I bought from the dealer who gave me the best price. Simple as that.

I think the winner went under invoice because there was some below-the-line money being paid them for hitting a sales or CSI target. I don't know that for sure, but I suspect that's the case. Otherwise, why take a loss on the car?

BTW, regarding the cash back-when I pick up the car, I will write a check for all but $10,000, which I will be financing over four months. The cost of the money on a loan like that is $68-not a bad trade-off to get $1,750. Wouldn't you agree?
I agree on all fronts. There was almost certainly a manufacturer to dealer incentive that allowed them to go so low. Waiting four months to pay off the loan ensures the small kick back the dealer gets from BMWFS for setting up the financing doesn't get charged back to them.

So, who won the bidding? Inquiring Chicago minds want to know.

Congrats on the deal and the car.

Oh, yeah, you need to get the dealer to provide you with a Vehicle Inquiry Report (VIR) to confirm all the options are ordered correctly and to provide the Order Number. Did they provide you with an order number? Until you have an order number the car is not actually ordered. btw - the order is not "called in". It is placed via CenterNet, the BMW computer system. The fastest way to get your ordered car is for the dealer to modify an existing order that has not yet gone into production. You need to take delivery of the car within 60 days of tomorrow, 2 January, to qualify for the holiday incentives. You need to avoid them ordering this car from South Africa to be sure it makes it here in time.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I put my business up for bid among the various dealers in my area, and I bought from the dealer who gave me the best price. Simple as that.
When you say "up for bid" do you mean you used one of those services that notifies dealerships you're looking, or did you just contact them yourself and let them know what you're willing to pay, then waited for responses...??
Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
When you say "up for bid" do you mean you used one of those services that notifies dealerships you're looking, or did you just contact them yourself and let them know what you're willing to pay, then waited for responses...??
I contacted them myself, but I did not tell them what I was willing to pay. I asked them to provide the price they wanted, got ten different offers, and worked it from there.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I agree.

I agree on all fronts. There was almost certainly a manufacturer to dealer incentive that allowed them to go so low. Waiting four months to pay off the loan ensures the small kick back the dealer gets from BMWFS for setting up the financing doesn't get charged back to them.

So, who won the bidding? Inquiring Chicago minds want to know.

Congrats on the deal and the car.

Oh, yeah, you need to get the dealer to provide you with a Vehicle Inquiry Report (VIR) to confirm all the options are ordered correctly and to provide the Order Number. Did they provide you with an order number? Until you have an order number the car is not actually ordered. btw - the order is not "called in". It is placed via CenterNet, the BMW computer system. The fastest way to get your ordered car is for the dealer to modify an existing order that has not yet gone into production. You need to take delivery of the car within 60 days of tomorrow, 2 January, to qualify for the holiday incentives. You need to avoid them ordering this car from South Africa to be sure it makes it here in time.
I did get the VIR but did not get an order number. Good catch. I will inquire after that tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I contacted them myself, but I did not tell them what I was willing to pay. I asked them to provide the price they wanted, got ten different offers, and worked it from there.
OK....I was thinking of that too. Email at first to save time.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
17 Inch wheels with RFTs good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
This may be a clever way to getting a great package with 17 inch wheels. Might be looking for an F31 someday. This will work we'll for me on uneven pavement. Have this setup now on AS touring Contis and winter Blizzak LM-25s. Nice compromise, less expensive size. 2009 base 335xi sedan AT.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
BTW, regarding the cash back—when I pick up the car, I will write a check for all but $10,000, which I will be financing over four months. The cost of the money on a loan like that is $68—not a bad trade-off to get $1,750. Wouldn't you agree?
I would agree and congrats on the fabulous price! I am doing likewise, but didn't get below invoice - close, but not below. Congrats!

Best Regards,
Robert

BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
The heated steering wheel is very nice. I didn't know how much I'd like one until I had one. Enjoy your car, it sounds great.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to normsbimmer
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
I'm surprised these dealers didn't want msrp price.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by normsbimmer View Post
I'm surprised these dealers didn't want msrp price.
I'm sure they all wanted MSRP. But no one bid MSRP, basically because they all knew I was bidding it around, so they had to come correct with a competitive price if they wanted the business.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
OK....I was thinking of that too. Email at first to save time.
I called them all first. I wanted to put a voice to the name, and it's harder to say "no, I won't play" to someone on the phone versus someone on email. After they agreed, then I emailed my specs and received bids by email. Then I called them all once more to give them another chance to win my business. The process gets wrapped up in three days. Way better than eeny-meeny-miney-moeing a single dealer off a list, getting waterboarded by them and walking out wondering whether you could've done better someplace else.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Quote:
I did get the VIR but did not get an order number. Good catch. I will inquire after that tomorrow.
Follow up:
  1. I did get something called a Production Number, a seven-digit numeric identifier. The sales guy had never heard of an "Order Number". So I assume they're the same?
  2. The guy also said I have to take possession of the car by March 1st to get the Holiday Incentive cash, but he also stated, in writing, that his sales manager said that my car "will be here before then so we will see it in less than 60 days". That's as close to a guarantee as I can get. If it's not there by then and I technically lose out, they're going to have to make me happy with something good, because I have the arrows of the CSI survey and consumer-based social media in my quiver.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Follow up:
  1. I did get something called a Production Number, a seven-digit numeric identifier. The sales guy had never heard of an "Order Number". So I assume they're the same?
  2. The guy also said I have to take possession of the car by March 1st to get the Holiday Incentive cash, but he also stated, in writing, that his sales manager said that my car "will be here before then so we will see it in less than 60 days". That's as close to a guarantee as I can get. If it's not there by then and I technically lose out, they're going to have to make me happy with something good, because I have the arrows of the CSI survey and consumer-based social media in my quiver.
Glad to hear that. Yes, production number is the correct term. My mistake there. . You should be able to follow the production online and by the 800 number very soon. Don't be surprised if the tracking system initially shows colors/options you did not order. That happens when they modify an existing order. Your car will have what is shown on the VIR that you have. As I mentioned previously, my only concern on time would be if your car shows up to be produced in South Africa. In that relatively unlikely event I would contact the dealer post haste. It is highly unlikely an SA produced car will make it to the states in time.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Glad to hear that. Yes, production number is the correct term. My mistake there. . You should be able to follow the production online and by the 800 number very soon. Don't be surprised if the tracking system initially shows colors/options you did not order. That happens when they modify an existing order. Your car will have what is shown on the VIR that you have. As I mentioned previously, my only concern on time would be if your car shows up to be produced in South Africa. In that relatively unlikely event I would contact the dealer post haste. It is highly unlikely an SA produced car will make it to the states in time.
I inquired after this, and this is what my sales guy told me:
"I made sure your car was built in Germany and not in South Africa. It would delay the car if it was built in South Africa. When you told me that [ours] was the winning dealer to take your order I mentioned this to [my sales manager] and we traded a South African order for a Germany build. This way I could make sure the car was delivered to you before the cut off of the holiday incentives."
So, taking him at his word, it looks like he was one step ahead of me on this one!

Thanks for the tips! I PM'ed you the dealer name, so you should give them a shot at your business when you're in the market.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i MSport
chasfh,

Do you have a production date? Do you come into NJ/NY or Baltimore? I ask because I just ordered too using an existing Germany dealer allocation, so we may be on the same boat. Baltimore and 'scheduled, but no scheduled production date' here.