Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Window Regulator Adjustment Problem

Ever since I got my 2001 z3 a couple months ago, the driver's side window goes up to high and I've been just manually stopping it where it's supposed to be when fully closed. Over the holiday break I got into it to see what's going on. The regulator adjustment screw is missing it's target! I managed to get my phone in there to capture a picture. Anyone have an idea what's going on or how to fix it? Is the regulator not mounted properly or something?

Thanks
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowRegulatorAdjustment.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	355139  
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
John

Mein Auto: 2000 M roadster
Looks like the regulator is loose or the window is off the track. You'll have to get inside the door to check it and fix it.
Be sure to heed the side airbag precautions when you do.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks WisM - I did get in there and everything appeared tight and on track. So I replaced the regulator and put new plastic clips in for the rail (the old ones did have a broken corner each). Everything back together and working... except... same problem. The new adjustment screw came with a plastic tip that seemed to catch the edge of the stop... for the first try or 2. Then it "popped" and the window went right on up too high again! (grrrrr...) So I took a trip to the hardware store and found an oversized metal "head" thing that I could screw onto the adjustment screw to make SURE it caught the edge. Same thing... worked for a try or 2, then "pop" and the window went up too far. That's when I figured out that the door panel is actually flexing under the pressure of the window motor! So the stop just gets pushed out of the way!!! I'm now thinking about trying to bolt a plate onto the stop to extend it out under the adjustment screw, but who knows if this'll create new problems. Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciatted!

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
John

Well, that explains the slide/rub mark on the stop where the stop screw passed it. I am unsure, but the motor stop/ reverse would be pressure actuated as part of the safety system. It seems like the motor is not stopping as it should. I don't know for sure though.
Perhaps one of the forum electrical experts knows. I could not find clear information on how the motor shut off works in the Bentley manual.

Edit:
Here is a DIY for replacing the motor in an E36. In step 7 of the installation part toward the end, it mentions teaching the motor the travel limits. Perhaps you could try that. If that does not work, I am going to guess that your motor needs replaced since it sounds like the sensor function is integral to the motor.
http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/power_window/

Good luck.

Last edited by WisM; 12-31-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks again! That may be the ticket... If I can get some kind of a bracket or catch in there that will stop it where it needs to be, then maybe I can use this "limit set" procedure to keep it from causing the thing to flex.

Tom
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 AM
John

Here is a different reset procedure I ran across you can try if the other did not work.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1366261
Check post #8