Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528ix
If you could only drive either a BMW X5 or an Benz ML - which would you choose

If you could only drive a new BMW X5 or a new Mercedes ML - of equal basic performance
or engine- type - of your choice- and it would be provided at no cost -
which one would you choose? Why?
2011 Lexus GX460 Premium
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
X5 any day. X5 looks more muscular, feels roomier, dashboard better, screen is bigger, sportier feel when you drive it, also I think it drives better. I've driven an ML350 (not te '12 model) and was not impressed with it. I owned a Volvo XC90 back then and the ML class did not feel any better than the XC90. Now that I own an X5 I know that X5 would be my choice between the two.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: German
X5. I don't like the look of the ML and COMMAND feels a decade old. Mercedes is just as solid. It's more luxury versus sporty for the X5. Can't go wrong with either. My father had an ML years ago. Worst car he ever had.

I've also noticed that the ML has pretty poor resale.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
You're asking this on a BMW site, I think I can predict how this thread will turn out....
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
We looked at the ML (2011). It was a very nice vehicle. Solid and luxurious. The turn signal-like stalk to put the vehicle in gear is odd. Almost seems like an afterthought. I know the BMW wand works in similar fashion, but it felt more like a traditional shifter.

As others have said, the X5 felt sportier and quicker. They are both handsome vehicles.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
My wife had a ML, not very impressed, loose steering and mushy handling, every MB I have ever driven comes off with that impression, COMMAND system is horrible, even the simple act of changing the clock for daylight savings time is an exercise in reading the manual.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
ML is solid luxury. It drives as though Lexus and audi had a baby. (lexus comfort, audi tech and "sportiness"). the command is quirky, and the user interface needs alot of refinement. However currently it offers a wider array of safety tech. The car won`t look outdated for a while, since its currently in year 2. The ML is wonderfully designed in terms of look, fit and finish on the interior. However whoever assigned and approved the technology user interfaces for the vehicle needs to kind of rethink who the demographic is for the vehicle, and also notice that their position in the tech systems currently available (MB is in last place within the euro big 3).

X5 is pure driving. No doubt about that. However its finishing up its life-cycle so your tech, such as passive and active safety stuff would be nonexistent in the X5. Again its a solid ride for those interested in a performance Luxo X over. The instrument cluster is not as informative as the ML`s. The X, also isnt as beautiful in the interior as say the new 5 series. However its still a looker. Finally since its the last MY, its probs much more reliable than the MB.

I love the sporty reliable feel of the X!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw x5 2003
X5 all the way
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Thoughts appreciated. However you're having not driven the '12 ML
does not really give it a fair shake. I've driven the new ML
and it's no slouch. I thought it was very nicely done.
2011 Lexus GX460 Premium
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
The Old ML really showed its age LOL! Comparing that to the X5 now, is truly unfair lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Just went through this for real: 2013 ML 550 loaded vs 2013 X5 50i loaded. Sportiness won out over luxury. The ML is a nice car (the Audi/Lexus comment above is spot-on); the X5 is a powerful sports car.

Also, the ML still looks like a box, I suppose showing its relationship to the Gelaendewagen.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xdrive35D
I just got a 2012 35d this summer and still have my 2006 ML500. My wife totaled her Lexus and she was a little gunshy about driving a new vehicle so she took mine and I took the new X5. I wanted a GL350 but we couldn't wait that long for it to come out. The biggest reason we bought the X5 was that the only luxury dealership in town is BMW and I've gotten tired of having to take the day off to go to Houston to get my car serviced (had to do this with the ML, GX470, and 996TT I used to own).

The COMAND system may be dated (haven't seen the new one) but at least it works reliably. The iDrive system is buggy and drives me nuts. It crashes my iPod Classics at least once a day (I've got 4 different classics and it does it to all of them yet they all work just fine in the ML). It often defaults back to the main menu when I start my car instead of staying on whatever was last on (music, nav, etc).

I could go on about the weird decisions like double-pull to unlock, mirrors that don't fold down when the car is locked, inability to lock the hatch from inside, having to manually turn on the rain sensor every time, can't lock the tiny glove box. Warning icons that aren't listed in the manual (took me a while to figure out the intermittent low oil warning icon and iDrive kept tell me everything was OK). I know you can code some of these features in but I don't think you should have to. The ML has some minor irritating issues too but no where near as many as the X5.

Now there are a lot of things I like in the X5 over the ML, but then I'm comparing a 2012 X5 to a 2006 ML... I'd guess the newer MLs would have the same improvements too.

As for the stalk shifter on the ML, I prefer it. I didn't like it at first because it reminded me too much of the column shifters but I grew to appreciate the room it freed up on the console.

The convenience of a local dealership and the $4500 diesel incentive (as well as free maintenance) were the main deciding factors in my purchase of the X5 but I'd still prefer an ML. But so far, none of the issues I have with the X5 are enough for me to switch from BMW when it's time for us to replace the ML. I'm hopeful that BMW will introduce an X7 by then because I'd like a bigger SUV with a 3rd row AND trunk space.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
I've driven both

I've driven both and am much happier with my X5. I felt like the X5 was more open, better vision, the interior of the ML felt more confining. The Command system is horrible. We own 2 Mercedes, a 2012 E550 Converteible and a 2012 R350, both of which my wife drives. The 6 cylinder gas motor sounds like the diesel in my X5, I do NOT like it at all. The E550 has the new Command system, but it is still inferior to iDrive. I have not had issues with iDrive crashing so I have been fairly happy with it.

The ML drives smooth but I just did not care for the overall experience. In fact, we got the R Class because we needed comfy rear seats and an occasional 3rd row that was usable. My wife liked the GL better, but it had the same crappy Command system and horrible gas mileage.

If my wife were to decide, she would have picked the ML because it is very soft in both handling and ride. I hated it.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: German
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. A family friend just got a new ML350 and it's alright. Interior seems high quality. It's luxurious. COMMAND is archaic. Other than that, the X5 and ML are polar opposites. One is luxurious, one is sporty. Zero steering feel, complete isolation. I can see why people like them. Felt like a more premium Lexus RX to me.

Don't understand why he didn't get the diesel though...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. A family friend just got a new ML350 and it's alright. Interior seems high quality. It's luxurious. COMMAND is archaic. Other than that, the X5 and ML are polar opposites. One is luxurious, one is sporty. Zero steering feel, complete isolation. I can see why people like them. Felt like a more premium Lexus RX to me.

Don't understand why he didn't get the diesel though...
Yes, all except a Lexus RX doesn't have the Active Curve System (like BMW Adaptive Drive.) So it can't corner as well as Mercedes ML.

Otherwise, the rest of the car is tuned for more luxury as stated before.

Last edited by henrycyao; 01-01-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
The ML is a reasonable vehicle but is a "squishy/floaty" ride when compared to the X5. The RX is significantly smaller vehicle which plays more on par with the Q5. The Lexus that is "on par" with the X5 is the GX460/470's. We LOVED our GX but the fuel economy sucked (17MPH combined) and they don't offer it in a diesel so...

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 x5
The benz to me looks like a feminine vehicle whereas the X5 looks more aggressive. Plus, I just don't like the way the benz looks.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy528 View Post
If you could only drive a new BMW X5 or a new Mercedes ML - of equal basic performance
X5 hands down. I feel they have a better driver to car feel, and the look inside and outside fits what I look for more than the Benz. To me a Benz is 100% luxury and 0% performance (not counting the AMGs). BMW has found a way to split the performance and the luxury down the middle to offer both without lacking in one or the other.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM

I loved my GX470- Can't wait to get out of my Gx460.
2011 Lexus GX460 Premium
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
We had the previous model ml350, 2006 I believe. We really enjoyed that car, both around town and on long trips. We then moved to n Acadia after our second child. We liked the design of that car but had nothing but trouble. Too bad because it was very practical.

When the Acadia lease was up we looked for 2010-11 ml 350 blutec but could not find many that we thought were clean enough to warrant the price. We drove the new ml blutec and the X5 35d and 6 cylinder.

We were both sold on the 35d as soon as we drove it. With the dealer markdowns and the eco credit, the price was very competitive. The ml was fine, but it did not evoke the same response as the X5.

My wife drives it for her daily commute (28 mi round trip 3 days a week), back and forth to schools, etc. We also have added a trailer hitch, Thule Racks and Pod for longer trips. Our plan is to use it on family vacations with the Pod and a 4-bike rack. Also we will use it to drive back and forth to Lake Havasu and it will pull double duty as a launch and retrieve vehicle for our boat (4300 lbs boat and trailer).

Config:
2012 X5 35d
Sport Activity
20's
Premium Sound
Premium Package
Soft Close
Running Boards
Sticker $66-ish, paid $59-ish after the $2,500 eco. OK deal, not great deal but could not be happier.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy528 View Post
Barring costs X5 hands down. NO CONTEST! BMW straight away! Faster Acceleration & Better Handling!

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Would go with the ML, based on Mercedes reliability rating.

Last edited by RockChips; 01-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
X5. I don't like the look of the ML and COMMAND feels a decade old.
Newer isn't better.

The new iDrive added a **** load of buttons onto the center console. I don't consider that an improvement.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Newer isn't better.

The new iDrive added a **** load of buttons onto the center console. I don't consider that an improvement.
Seriously?

The new iDrive is light years better than the previous generation. There is no aspect of the older system that could be considered better.

Command is terrible. My experience only, but neither our '09 ML or '10 X5 should be considered anywhere close to reliable. Difference is that our BMW dealership provides much, much better service than the local MB dealer.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Got Roundel?

Mein Auto: F30 328i
X5 without any hesitation
2011 335i coupe (Gone but not forgotten)