Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Finally saw an X1

After 2 weeks back in Quebec where the X1 has been around longer, I finally saw my first X1! It was black and looked great in the parking lot of the ski resort!
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
Its definitely a rare bird so far, as I have only seen 3 in my area. I'm sure ppl confuse mine for an X3 as its badgeless in the rear.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-tahoe View Post
After 2 weeks back in Quebec where the X1 has been around longer, I finally saw my first X1! It was black and looked great in the parking lot of the ski resort!
Was it at Sierra?
It is mine.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Nope. It was at Mont Tremblant on the east coast. We are getting some great snow here and the black X1 I saw looked great with a bit of wind blown snow on it. I thought I would see more here given it has been available for over a year. But that was my first one. I thought it would be even more popular in Canadian winters. I am probably biased since I love the look of the car and the handeling.

I'm picking mine up when I return to the Bay area after new years.

Question for you: Did you get snow tires for your trips to Tahoe?

Last edited by X1-tahoe; 12-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-tahoe View Post
Question for you: Did you get snow tires for your trips to Tahoe?
I live in San Jose, CA and bought a sDrive28i, it never entered my mind to buy the xDrive and get snow tires because we don't get snow here.
So last Saturday I drove up to Tahoe with my wife during the snow storm (had made reservations long time ago) and at some point there was a chain control checkpoint. They asked me if my X1 was AWD or 4WD, and I told them it was RWD. I had to turn around and buy chains for the remaining 40 miles (I'm guessing) of the trip.
I put the chains on my rear tires and used them to drive around the Tahoe area for a couple of days. The 25 mph speed limit with chains was very annoying, took us forever to get anywhere. So I decided to remove the chains and take my chances.
The sDrive28i handled fine without chains on icy roads, I never had a problem.
Yesterday we drove back to San Jose, and when we got home I decided to inspect the tires to see if there was any damage from the stupid chains. The tires are fine, but the chains damaged both my rims . It looks like I parallel parked hitting the curb on both sides. It looks bad. I've only had the car for 1 month. I'm considering buying 2 new Y-spoke rims.
I would recommend anyone that owns a sDrive28i driving around in snow not to put chains on their tires because it will surely damage their rims.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobato78 View Post
I would recommend anyone that owns a sDrive28i driving around in snow not to put chains on their tires because it will surely damage their rims.

Thanks for the info. It is nice to know that your car handled the conditions well. Sorry to hear about the chain damage. It always scares me when I'm driving up there and big trucks have their chains spinning....always afraid it will come off and hit our car when we pass them.

I did see some info on this board about replacement rims so maybe those can help you as well. Living in San Jose, you will be fine with the sDrive (proof is you were even fine up in the snow).
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 AM

It's better to get the chains that only cover the rubber to prevent rim scratches. I got winter tires for my AWD so I don't have to mess with chains. In California they often close the roads if it gets to the point that even 4WD need chains. I go to the mountains often in SoCal so I invested in winter tires. They are not run flats so I have noticed the ride is a lot softer.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
I haven't seen one here in the Chicago Suburbs yet.....I'm it. I have only seen one other BMW owner even acknowledge my ride, thumbs up. Clearly a BMW enthusiast. I'd love to start a local X1 meet n greet, but not only are there none I've seen, but perhaps not that shared interest that I do see here in this Forum.

I was V.P. of a local Ford Club and now still a member, but I'm not seeing BMW owners here that "acknowledge" one another like Stang owners do. Oh well.....lol

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobato78 View Post
I live in San Jose, CA and bought a sDrive28i, it never entered my mind to buy the xDrive and get snow tires because we don't get snow here.
So last Saturday I drove up to Tahoe with my wife during the snow storm (had made reservations long time ago) and at some point there was a chain control checkpoint. They asked me if my X1 was AWD or 4WD, and I told them it was RWD. I had to turn around and buy chains for the remaining 40 miles (I'm guessing) of the trip.
I put the chains on my rear tires and used them to drive around the Tahoe area for a couple of days. The 25 mph speed limit with chains was very annoying, took us forever to get anywhere. So I decided to remove the chains and take my chances.
The sDrive28i handled fine without chains on icy roads, I never had a problem.
Yesterday we drove back to San Jose, and when we got home I decided to inspect the tires to see if there was any damage from the stupid chains. The tires are fine, but the chains damaged both my rims . It looks like I parallel parked hitting the curb on both sides. It looks bad. I've only had the car for 1 month. I'm considering buying 2 new Y-spoke rims.
I think the rims can be repaired. There are companies that will come to your house with their equipment and repair "curb rash," for around $150-200. We have a spot of curb rash already from cutting the turn into our driveway too sharply. If you find someone, let me know - we're in the Bay Area too.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 AM

By the way, I still have yet to see another X1 in the Bay Area. I have been on the lookout since their launch in September. My wife saw a nice blue one a few weeks back though.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
My BMW dealer fixes wheels at $150/per.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
nice - that didn't even occur to me! for the same price it's much better than having some stranger come to your house to work on your nice new BMW...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
They also offer paintless dent removal, quite convenient. I love their service department but not their sales. I've actually never bought a BMW from them...CREVIER BMW.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Thx for the info. Will try dealer!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyX1 View Post
nice - that didn't even occur to me! for the same price it's much better than having some stranger come to your house to work on your nice new BMW...
I would think while they are fixing the rims, you have to think about weight distribution. IDK, they should know what they are doing. My X1 is only a month old also,, I'm trying to baby it,,, hmmmm, it's just so hard in this Idaho weather. But, of course we purchased the XDrive. I don't even think they would sell the sDrive around here. But, I'm just driving it with the original tires. Cold package all season The AWD is doing the job,,, well... So far anyway. Good luck with those rims.