Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
babo babo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 06 X3
Suggested maintenance at 100K

Hello,
wonder what are the regular things that need to be replaced/upgraded at 100K? maybe not replaced but at least should be looked at very carefully.

Last edited by babo; 02-21-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Hello,
wonder what are the regular things that need to be replaced/upgraded on 100K? maybe not replaced but at least should be looked at very carefully.
My newly bought 2004 X3 is about to hit around 100k, I bought it with 98k.

Based from what I have read so far (which has been a lot quite honestly), I think the following items need to be addressed:

* Cooling System: There's a really good thread around here about a member that changed all of the cooling system. I recommend you to find it but at the very least the water pump, hoses, and thermostat (including all misc. items such as gaskets, etc) should be replaced. I think the member did the radiator too but that might be too much for me ATM.

* Fluids: Definitely the transfer case unless you have done it within 30k miles already. Also, the differentials.

* Belts: This is a pretty standard thing to do at this juncture.

* Spark Plugs and head gasket...

* Unless it has been done within 50k miles, I would also recommend the coolant expansion tank BTW. You should be able to do it at the same time the cooling system upgrade is taking place.

* Air and Cabin filter

That's all I can think of for now. Hope all works out!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM
babo babo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
My newly bought 2004 X3 is about to hit around 100k, I bought it with 98k.

Based from what I have read so far (which has been a lot quite honestly), I think the following items need to be addressed:

* Cooling System: There's a really good thread around here about a member that changed all of the cooling system. I recommend you to find it but at the very least the water pump, hoses, and thermostat (including all misc. items such as gaskets, etc) should be replaced. I think the member did the radiator too but that might be too much for me ATM.

* Fluids: Definitely the transfer case unless you have done it within 30k miles already. Also, the differentials.

* Belts: This is a pretty standard thing to do at this juncture.

* Spark Plugs and head gasket...

* Unless it has been done within 50k miles, I would also recommend the coolant expansion tank BTW. You should be able to do it at the same time the cooling system upgrade is taking place.

* Air and Cabin filter

That's all I can think of for now. Hope all works out!
i also need to add tires and probably rear bushings .
I wonder what's the ballpark for all the changes above?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
A big question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to do the work or not.

If you do the work, the cooling system should run you around 300 ish... the pump is about 70 and everything else should add up to three bills.

Everything else, I wanna say about two or three more bills... assuming you do it. I do want to say that a lot of it can be done simultaneously, like the belts can be done while doing the cooling system... the fluids are pretty straight forward, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM
babo babo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 06 X3
i would love to - but i have no place where i can do it. So i can only do some very basic things .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
* Spark Plugs and head gasket...
He meant valve cover gasket. I would also add oil filter housing gasket.

In order of priority:

First:
Transfer case fluid
Spark plugs
Oil every 7500 miles

Second:
Differential (both) fluid
Transmission fluid.
Air and cabin filter (takes 5 min no tools required)

Third (assuming no leaks or cel);
Cooling system refresh
Valve cover and oil filter gasket
Fuel filter
Disa and hoses
Ccv
Intake boot hose

Those last three will show up as CEL. Very common right now in 05 models.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-02-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Yes, Brian is right. I meant to say the valve cover gasket.

Overall, I think it really depends on whether you have done the "regular" maintenance or not. If not, then what Brian said is accurate: do the transfer case fluid which you can easily do, and the spark plugs. An oil change, obviously that's a straight fwd maintenance.

If you want to do an extensive preventive maintenance then the third list is consistent with what I said.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
Yes indeed. The third list is like buying a life insurance policy for the engine. The cooling system if it fails will destroy the engine. Disa pin failures can as well but are far less common.

Number 1 and 2 are a given. Everything in bucket 3 are nice things to do to get ahead of the curve, but you will be fine if you wait a few months or have a CEL...which ever comes first. Like I said...it's like buying insurance.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Just replace the plugs on my 2009 at 102,900. The center electrode was burned off so badly that the resulting gap was .060 (.044 is specs). For that reason I'll be changing them at 75,000 the next time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Just replace the plugs on my 2009 at 102,900. The center electrode was burned off so badly that the resulting gap was .060 (.044 is specs). For that reason I'll be changing them at 75,000 the next time.
Funny you say that. I changed mine at 99k and it was similarly worn.

I got curious and pulled the maintenance guide for the 2010 and they changed the recommendation to 60k miles from 100k. No part number change though.

I am moving to 50k mile changes now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
SonicBoom SonicBoom is offline
Gearhead
Location: Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
^^^ Hmmm, Good to know. I'll be doing that schedule too then.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Funny you say that. I changed mine at 99k and it was similarly worn.

I got curious and pulled the maintenance guide for the 2010 and they changed the recommendation to 60k miles from 100k. No part number change though.

I am moving to 50k mile changes now.
I did not know that..... I assumed that because they were double platinum the interval was 100K. 50K is probably best.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM
babo babo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 06 X3
Gents,
thank you for the detailed list.

A quick question - how do i know if i need to replace a coil? Is it recommended to change them ( coils) all @ 100K?
I have pistol style coils on this vehicle.


Thank you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms