Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Just signed, dealer pulled the X5 to get detailed and...

I see swirl marks everywhere on the car. Of course it has to be black sapphire. The GM gives me his card and informs me that he'll have it detailed again and if I don't like it, I can choose another vehicle. I really don't have any confidence with the so called "detailers" since there is no designated detailer for BMW. So my question is should I give the option to the GM to have it professionally detailed or just trade in for another color vehicle? Thanks.

Last edited by civicrtype1; 01-01-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5 50i
Same problem with my Black Sapphire X5 50i...that I SPECIAL ORDERED. They took it back to the detail guys in the dealership, had it washed again, and then polished the affected area. All while I stood and watched. Swirls came out for the most part. I made the GM acknowledge the issue before i signed the lease agreement. Ultimately they disappeared.
BMWs are not known for their paint quality...especially black.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
This is why you don't get black.

And this is also why you never let the dealer wash the car.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM

That's very reassuring NOVA. Thanks for the input. The GM said they'll claybar the X5, so we'll see how it turns out
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrtype1 View Post
I see swirl marks everywhere on the car. Of course it has to be black sapphire. The GM gives me his card and informs me that he'll have it detailed again and if I don't like it, I can choose another vehicle. I really don't have any confidence with the so called "detailers" since there is no designated detailer for BMW. So my question is should I give the option to the GM to have it professionally detailed or just trade in for another color vehicle? Thanks.
We live in Raleigh, and we just bought a 2012 X5 35d in Sapphire Black Metallic, and the dealership we bought from actually built a dedicated professional detailing building when they first opened. It's actually very nice. We are thankful that they actually take the time to do things right. Wish more were like that.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
This is why you don't get black.

I could not agree more with not letting the dealer wash your car...my X5 has 142,000 miles on it, and that paint looks like the day I took delivery.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrtype1 View Post
Titanium silver is the easiest color to keep cleen followed by space grey
I happened to own cars in both colors
My AMG was a special order color called " nightmare black"

Very difficult to keep clean

Silver or grey u won't regret it!
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	355552  

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchips View Post
this is why you don't get black.

+1
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Agree with rock chips. I told dealer to not wash nor detail the new car.

Op
Clay bar is ABSOLUTELY NOT THE PROBLEM. You need a paint correction. Importantly, they can glop on some wax, and you'll miss the swirls ...in a few weeks as the wax wears off the swirls are back. Gets real detainer to fix it, not the monkes the dealer uses.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Yes a well reviewed detailer can fix this stuff. Or you can learn how to do it yourself. There is no permanent damage.

However I doubt a BMW dealership has the competence to do it.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM

I saw a lady with a black BMW sedan go through an automated car wash, and then subsequently get wiped down by idiots swirling the cloth around. I threw up in my mouth a little.

If you ladies must go through an automated car wash, I would carefully PAD dry yourself with microfiber towels and quick detailer, and then quickly get those towels washed in the washer. Technique is everything.

Of course, you really should be doing the famous two bucket wash.

Last edited by RockChips; 01-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Titanium silver is the easiest color to keep cleen followed by space grey
I happened to own cars in both colors
My AMG was a special order color called " nightmare black"

Very difficult to keep clean

Silver or grey u won't regret it!
Rob

Yeah if you get black, you better already know how to detail using a PC-7424XP.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F15 3.5d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
I saw a lady with a black BMW sedan go through an automated car wash, and then subsequently get wiped down by idiots swirling the cloth around. I threw up in my mouth a little.

If you ladies must go through an automated car wash, I would carefully PAD dry yourself with microfiber towels and quick detailer, and then quickly get those towels washed in the washer. Technique is everything.

Of course, you really should be doing the famous two bucket wash.
My office window has in view a gas station across the street where I REGULARLY watch young ladies using the SQUEEGEE SPONGE to wipe/wash down their hoods & doors....

I can only imagine the slander being flung at the local car washes when the other half demands to know "what happened to the paint on our car????", to which the blank stare is accompanied by "I didn't do ANYTHING".

The window washing sponge, straight out of the bucket of sandy water.... seriously. Almost fell out of my chair the first time.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddjd View Post
My office window has in view a gas station across the street where I REGULARLY watch young ladies using the SQUEEGEE SPONGE to wipe/wash down their hoods & doors....

I can only imagine the slander being flung at the local car washes when the other half demands to know "what happened to the paint on our car????", to which the blank stare is accompanied by "I didn't do ANYTHING".

The window washing sponge, straight out of the bucket of sandy water.... seriously. Almost fell out of my chair the first time.
Lmao. Love "Almost fell out of my chair the first time."

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddjd View Post

Run your butt down and help these sexy ladies
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM

Good news, the dealership let me pick out a new vehicle.....this time in white and a diesel. Great dealership to work with. Thanks San Antonio BMW.