Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
F25 With Apple Airplay and Apple TV

I am interested in possibly putting in an Apple TV in my new X3. This would be great to stream all my songs and videos directly to my screen.

I think it will be very easy to place an apple TV in the car. Then I will need to make a WIFI network to connect to.

This can be done with one of these portable WIFI Routers

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-300Mb...outer+portable

What I dont know is how to hook up the HDMI or converter RCA cables to the display.

Any ideas?

I also have the Technology package but BMW apps was not an option on my car. Has anyone else thought or done this.
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Good idea, bad integration. The apple tv needs an hdmi input. I do not believe you'll find an hdmi input in the CIC at least I don't believe it. In addition there is no tv in functionality.

Good luck

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM

What input is on the back of the CIC? You can always just convert the hdmi to Video and Audio RCA analog. To bad there isnt a way to incorporate Video input into the display. There has to be someone that has done something similar?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Converting *hdmi aka digital to RCA aka analog is a major pita.

It's impossible to find any reliable converters, (there exist some but the prices for those are in the 100s). In addition the video signal u get from the conversion locks u in at 640x480 *vs 1024x768 min.

Again unless the apple tv has a way to interface the i drive system similar to the iPad or iPhone or iPod it's going to be difficult to integrate it cleanly.*

If your really hell bent on doing something similar:

1) purchase an iPad or iPod (pod or pad would either need a external portable hotspot device. You could just purchase a iPad with built wireless data) or iPhone. Leave that always connected via USB to your vehicle.
2) jailbreak the always connected device and acquire some sort of AirPlay tethering app found in cydia. There are tons available and some don't need the media device that you will interface your always connected device with to be jailbroken or buy an android device.

3) and your done, you can use the two devices on tandem.

If that's two complicated, just keep two devices. One for your car and one for everything else.*

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Sounds like a better option.. Thanks for the input.
But I am still a little confused. How do I interface the Ipad to display on the BMW screen?
Will it automatically play all video and audio files?
I am currently in need of the BMW Apps 6nr retrofit. And that why I was wondering if there was a hdmi or other input that I can directly plug into my current setup.