Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Clicking noise while rolling?

Hello, We have a clicking noise when rolling, it is making the noise with every revolution. Shop told me I should take it to BMW store, that it clicks when the drive shaft is turning. I thought that it may have something to do with the brakes, but they said"not". Possible Actuator? We have no noises when I turn off the car?? Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Could be the transfer case actuator...
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Could be transfer case actuator, an abs speed sensor, rear differential fluid is low, bad driveshaft u joint or the exhaust butterfly valve (more of a rattle at low speed). It could also just be out of balance tires.

What year? Any drivability problems or CEL codes? Any weird smells or leaks? Any recent service done?

I would get it on the rack and check all of the above. Before you start throwing parts at it, find an honest Indy that will dig in for you unless you can do that yourself.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Clicking sound

Thanks for the response, Local Independent said I should take to BMW dealer. He thought that the sound was coming from Transfer case. The clicking is with every revolution when rolling,the slower the roll the slower the click, the faster the roll, the faster the clicking. Sounds like a stick in the wheel. He said it was clicking while on the lift, when the driveshaft was turning. Is it hard to get the Actuator off? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: X3
We have a nice fix write up at the top of the forum:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7030621