Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Fog light delete 550 Msport

I really can't stand the way the fog lights look on the M-sport bumper. Is there a way to remove them and replace with a flush grille? If not, I was thinking of getting blackout covers to at least conceal them so they blend in a little better.
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I think the M550DX has no foglights. You can buy the grille inserts for that car from Germany, and then install those and hide the fog lights behind the bumper to avoid error messages.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 AM

How would I find the part numbers for those inserts?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM

Hey guys, just an update on this. Thanks to Stealth's idea, I bought the M550d lower grills from a BMW dealer in the UK right before I moved back to the US. I removed the fog light grills then removed the fog light housing and tucked the actual bulb away inside the bumper with a twist tie. Keeping the bulbs connected prevents any error codes. The new grilles just popped right in and fit perfectly. I think deleting the fog lights gives a much cleaner look. I'll post some actual pics tomorrow, but below is a photo that is representative of the look.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m550d.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	353271  
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I knew that would work.

Now you should get the M5 euro foglight switch from ECS tuning. Then your dash will be consistent with the look.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Then your dash will be consistent with the look.
You, sir, are a true purist.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Here's a pic with the new grilles.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355588160.032127.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	353300
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Wasn't sure if I would like it, but that looks really good. Nice and clean. How much were the grills in the UK?

Raj

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajG View Post
Wasn't sure if I would like it, but that looks really good. Nice and clean. How much were the grills in the UK?

Raj
Thanks Raj. I paid 53.58 each. They had to be ordered from Germany and took about a week to arrive at the dealer.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I paid 53.58 each.
$86.63 USD.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I'm interested in doing the same thing and deleting my M-Sport fog lights; can you give us any information about how you ordered the M-Sport bumper mesh grills without the foglight holes?

Thank You!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
I'm interested in doing the same thing and deleting my M-Sport fog lights; can you give us any information about how you ordered the M-Sport bumper mesh grills without the foglight holes?

Thank You!
I ordered these parts online from my local dealer in England and had them shipped to my house there right before I moved back to the US. They were back ordered in Germany and took 2 weeks to arrive. I was not able to find the part numbers through the US, so you will probably need to do 1 of 2 things.

1. Find a dealer in the US who can source them.
2. Take a vacation to Europe and order them while you are there.

The part numbers you will need are 51118055133 and 51118055134.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Thank you! Fortunately, I work for a multinational program which includes Germany as a partner nation....I feel a business trip to Munich may be necessary in the near future
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Lol, there are far easier ways.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
BIG D BIMMERS

Mein Auto: '13 535i MSPORT,'10 E93
I like the inserts, but I love the way my fog lights look; Part of the reason I got the M-Sport over the regular front end 535i.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM

I've done more research...and looked more closely at the photos and the actual parts at realoem.com, and lo-and-behold found that the left and right fog light grills are not identical mirror images...I would have noticed from your photos had I looked closely enough.

My solution for my low-budget but full OEM M bumper conversion for my 535i is to buy two of the center grill meshes, use one, and cut the other in half and trim to fit into the bumper's fog light housings. I'll use small plastic strip-ties to hold this mesh in place with solid flat plastic inserts behind the mesh to hide the tied-up fog light bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fog light grills.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	355730  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
I've done more research...and looked more closely at the photos and the actual parts at realoem.com, and lo-and-behold found that the left and right fog light grills are not identical mirror images...I would have noticed from your photos had I looked closely enough.

My solution for my low-budget but full OEM M bumper conversion for my 535i is to buy two of the center grill meshes, use one, and cut the other in half and trim to fit into the bumper's fog light housings. I'll use small plastic strip-ties to hold this mesh in place with solid flat plastic inserts behind the mesh to hide the tied-up fog light bulbs.
You are correct, the driver side grill is solid while the passenger side is open. For some reason this is also the case on my wife's X5 35d (which is stock). Its very hard to tell in person. I considered doing something similar to what you described. I look forward to seeing how they turn out.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I was thinking of tinting over them, but I like the foglights look actually. Gives it a more aggressive/sporty appearance to me, and the function can't hurt.

I just wish they were LED's so you could turn them on at night if you want more lights on but don't want to add a dash of "yellow" to your hyper white. Then again, I believe fog lights only work properly if they're yellow as being white would be regressive in the event of.... fog.

Ordered: Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM

I had mine tinted at first while I was waiting to get the grilles. It looked better and blended with the mesh well but it just liked like two holes. For some reason I think the fogs are distracting. It's the first thing my eye picks up on the M sport.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM

ahhh...the old fog light color question...discussion on this topic by Car Talk http://www.cartalk.com/content/do-fo...ou-see-through is quoted below. Unfortunately for me, and possibly I'll offend you, for which I profusely apologize in advance, but the M bumper fog lights look to me more like "frog" lights....something about their outward facing geometry...sorry!!!

BEGIN QUOTE:
Do fog lights work? Do they help you see through the fog, or do they just light up the fog? Are yellow fog lights better than clear fog lights? Should they be mounted low on the vehicle to search forth underneath the fog cloud? I am so confused -- you might even say I am "foggy" on the fog-light issue. Therefore, I ask you to search through the fog of your collective brain cells and enlighten the world to the truth about fog lights. -- Pat

RAY: Great question, Pat. How I wish this were the only subject we were foggy on!

TOM: There are many different kinds of lights that people put on the front of their cars these days. There are driving lights, fog lights, Velux motorized sky lights ... we've seen 'em all. Most of them are purely decorative. And many are used and/or aimed incorrectly, and they simply blind oncoming drivers.

RAY: But fog lights, when used and aimed correctly, might be useful to some drivers. As you probably know, if you project light directly into the fog, it bounces off the fog droplets and reflects in all directions, making it even harder to see. That's why you use your low beams in fog rather than your high beams.

TOM: Fog lights are low-mounted lights (bumper level or below) that project light that's cut off at the top. So the light pattern on a good-quality fog light goes straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that.

RAY: The reason for this is that fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. So by projecting light in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. Some people swear by fog lights. Others claim that they don't really make much difference.

TOM: So the question becomes, to yellow or not to yellow? There's a lot of debate about this, but the research says that yellow lights are no better than white lights at penetrating fog. The theory bandied about was that yellow light has a longer wavelength and is therefore less likely to be reflected by the fog particles. Turns out, this is complete poppycock.

RAY: Apparently, the fog particles themselves are so big that they reflect all colors of light. Basically, all light bounces off of them, so using yellow light instead of white light gives you no advantage.

TOM: Plus, in order to get yellow light, what fog-light manufacturers do is put a yellow lens over a white light. That cuts your light output by 20 percent to 30 percent, which is counterproductive.

RAY: So if you live in a coastal area where fog is a real problem and you want to give fog lights a try, we'd suggest a set of high-quality, white fog lights that are professionally mounted to be sure they're aimed correctly. And don't forget to check their aim periodically. Since they're mounted low, they can be knocked out of alignment when you run over things like snow banks and stalled Toyotas.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Saw it when it was first posted but didn't think much of it until I went searching for blank inserts. Blanking out the fogs does look better with the M-sport bumper.

Schmiedman carries these 550D OEM parts - I just don't like the horizontal silver accent across the middle and will consider blacking that portion out.

I never use the halogen fogs and will not do an HID, Xenon look-alike or an LED upgrade and this option makes the front a tad more aggressive.

I'm sure the F10 has got this, but even in the E39 there was a safety feature where if the main headlight bulb were to go out, the DME would automatically turn on the fog light on the side where the main bulb failed as a safety feature for on-coming traffic. I guess I can live with not having this.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Too bad you can't just move the front fog light bulbs to the rear. Then you could drive around with the rear fogs on all the time, just a dumbazz Audi driver. One of the reasons those of us with blue Bimmers are constantly full of rage...

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto:
Mbbrewer congratulations; your variation on a theme is splendid. The car looks neater and more cohesive. I think foglights uglify (I've invented a new word) the M Sport and I wish they were optional. Thank goodness the F10 M5 doesn't have them!
So you basically covered them to avoid error alerts. Well defogging is an option I'll meditate over but I must say it was love at first sight. I had a visceral reaction on seeing the photo of the defogged M Sport.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
Ordered the fog delete intake grilles and they should be arriving next week. $56 each, from Denmark.

the more I see the fogs I realize how much better the front of the M-Sport would look with the delete.

looking forward to this
Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Glad I found this thread. The fog lights really ruin the look of the msport bumper IMO. Anyone tried the m550d inserts on a 2014?