Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, M54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey330 View Post
Hi Gents, I am pleased to report that my fuel problem is now sorted out. Well I have tested and tested yesterday only putting in fuel above 1/4 twice and ½ and the fuel gauge goes down to complete empty with - - - - kilometres left.

After months of stress and worries, a mate of mine with a 318i rescued me. The fix was the FUEL PUMP.....
Nice work Aubrey! I'm glad to hear it got sorted out!

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: e46 330i individual
ranamunna

"I hope you are doing well. I didn't reply earlier because I wanted to gather all the information before replying to you. After I Changed the filter it worked fine for two tanks then now the on board gauge is not moving at all now from 0.
Any guesses. As I wrote before the fuel level indiator strip is broke and repaired in the right tank if you are facing the front of the car. "

You have not provided enough information for one to assist. When you say the guage is not working at all. Do you mean that its stuck at empty, half ro full irrespective of whether you fillup or not?

""""fuel level indiator strip is broke and repaired in the right tank """ do you mean that the fuel sender unit with the float? The left one is easy to test if you are having issues with it. First provide clarity on this matter, and then will tell you what to do
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 318i se
hi
read your post the other day i have all the same symptons as you went and bought a fuel filter and was going to fit it this morning but guess what instead of a fuel filter i have a section of fuel pipe the same lenght as the filter in its place
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM
BMW = Fahrvergnügen

Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by welly123 View Post
hi
read your post the other day i have all the same symptons as you went and bought a fuel filter and was going to fit it this morning but guess what instead of a fuel filter i have a section of fuel pipe the same lenght as the filter in its place
That doesn't sound good. I can't even begin to guess the effects running unfiltered gas for any length of time would be. Hopefully nothing is broken.
- Xenons, aFe CAI, Scorpion Muffler, Racing Dynamics Strut Bar, PowerFlex FCAB's, 330i ZHP Shift Knob, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Dead Pedal, Sparco Alloy Pedal Covers (Now with Busted Brake Pedal Cover!), CDV-ectomy

'99.5 Audi A4 Avant quattro 1.8T 5MT — Silver
- Winter beater, now with boooooost! Still putting her back together.

'05 Subaru Forester 2.5XS — Alpine White
- Wife's whip
Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey330 View Post
ranamunna

"I hope you are doing well. I didn't reply earlier because I wanted to gather all the information before replying to you. After I Changed the filter it worked fine for two tanks then now the on board gauge is not moving at all now from 0.
Any guesses. As I wrote before the fuel level indiator strip is broke and repaired in the right tank if you are facing the front of the car. "

You have not provided enough information for one to assist. When you say the guage is not working at all. Do you mean that its stuck at empty, half ro full irrespective of whether you fillup or not?

""""fuel level indiator strip is broke and repaired in the right tank """ do you mean that the fuel sender unit with the float? The left one is easy to test if you are having issues with it. First provide clarity on this matter, and then will tell you what to do
please see the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	312114  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, M54
Quote:
Originally Posted by welly123 View Post
hi
I wouldn't panic just yet until we hear a couple more details about your car. Is it an automatic or manual transmission? What year is your car? Do you know the production date?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: e46 330i individual
ranamunna

What you are holding is the resistor, but looks like someone put a solder on it to link the tracks.

Put it back on to the sender and connect everything back

Please try this first,

Test the intrument cluster and see if the fuel guage moves.

If the guage moves then.

under the rear seat, disconnect both the sender units. Put the key in and turn to ON but do not start observe the fuel guage.

Disconnect the pump side sender unit/with pump and turn the key ON observe the guage.

Connect the left side (with no pump), disconnect the pump side sender unit. Again turn the key to ON observe the guage

Finally plug both sender units in and then, turn on and observe the Guage..

Provide the results and then will suggest the test and things to try
Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: e90
e90 320d

Hi,

I to have same issues with my e90 dying at 1/4 tank. The right side (pump) óf tank emties, but denying to suck from the left side of the tank. Anybody had the same problem with a e90 320d? I suspect the pump deying on me, and going to replade it. Just Wanted to hear from someone with a 320d facing/faced the same problem, before i go and buy a new pump. Thanks.

Ps. The fuelfilter had been replaced.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 323I SE
My car is running normally(e46) but fuel gauge and OBC fuel Left in Tank readings is going up and down like a ------- Drawers with the same amount of fuel in it. If the cars acting normally and the gauge is up and down, does anybody think this is the senders?. How many senders are there on a 1999 saloon E46 and wher do I find them, I've no idea. HELP!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Hello, it's me again from a bone. I've done the cluster test and the fuel gauge goes all the way from empty to full and back on the test. But i think it must be stuck inbetween empty and a quarter as it has 120 mile left in the tank, and it has because I've just put 4 gallon in it. Any thoughts would be much appreciated guys. Many Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Above not a bone
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Hi Guys, where is the fuel filter on the e46????
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Posted Today, 09:04 PM
hi guys, my fuel gauge gives me false reading and is all over the place. I'm sure it's the sender unit. Can someone give me some pointers please. I think there is 2 sender units, am I right in saying one is attached to a fuel pump and the other on its own. I believe one sender unit reads the half to full on the gauge and the other reads empty to half. My car is never over half, so which one do I change. Are they universal and also can you detach the sender unit from the pump. helppppppp!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
OBC functions in a pdf so you can save it to your BMW file
Or print it out for your glove box
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC hidden functions.pdf (33.2 KB, 208 views)
Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325CI
Thank you for the solution

I bought my 2004 E46 vert about three years ago. Since I first got it I had issues with gas flow around corners and slow accelleration. About 8 months ago I started running out of gas with the gage showing it still had gas. I searched the forums and found a couple threads but they all pointed at the sucking pump.

I had already had it at my mechanics shop and he cleared the sucking pump and decided it had to be the gage was wrong. He wanted to change the dashboard computer which thankfully I never had to pay for but I'm sure it was a lot of money.

So this time when it ran out I had the tow truck take me to a gas station on the way to the mechanic and we topped it off. It only took 13.5 gallons to fill it so I knew there was at least a two gallons left. I'm not sure how I found this post just then but when we got it to my mechanic I asked him to change the fuel filter. He didn't think that was going to fix it but put it in anyway per my request.

Well that was about three weeks ago. Twice now I have run it all the way down to one gallon and each time I topped it off to confirm it really had gotten down to that amount. You saved me so much money I can't thank you enough for taking the trouble to post this.

I'm mostly a lurker because I don't have a lot to add - obviously - but I felt another confirmation that the filter fixed the problem was needed when you look at all the threads that end with "I'll just make sure it never goes below 1/4 tank."

I should also tell you that it now is much faster off the line and never chokes out when taking tight corners very fast. It performs much better than it has since I first bought it.

I highly recommend anyone having this type if issue change the fuel filter before spending any long green.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 AM

And your pump should be next on your list if it's older than five years.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Thanks so much, especially Tice03 for all the info. Unfortunately, I'm reading this now because I've already had the same problem and authorized the dealer to make the recommended repairs (fuel pump, fuel filter, and siphoning jet). The good news is that these posts totally validated the issue and the recommendation from the dealer (I never completely ran out of gas but started hesitating at 1/4 tank, so the problem wasn't quite as obvious). The bad news is that I've already agreed to pay over $1K to replace all the other recommended parts when it sounds like I should have started with just the filter.

They said I had metal shavings in the tank that likely have already compromised the fuel pump. Does anyone know if that's a common byproduct of running on low gas?

Also - does anyone know what the same repairs (assuming I need all of them, not just the fuel filter) would cost at an honest auto repair shop? I'm not a DIY-er and the convenience of the dealer and getting a loaner car has prevented me from going elsewhere, but I've sunk way too much into the car lately.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM

If you get down to 1/4 tank and run out of gas, very likely is just your fuel pump. Forget about the sucking jet pump.
You might also need a fuel filter, but forget that temporarily if you just want to get going. But do the filter when you get a chance as this should be changed periodically.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 318i
i have a problem with my bmw 318i e46, the needle for my fuel gauge just moves whenever and wherever.sometimes i put say 5 litres when its at a 1/4 tank and it shoots over to half or maybe more and later on it starts going down.i dont really rely on my gauge now.what could be the problem,if anyone can help
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM

sending units can fail. contact surface gets dirty.
Some put in new senders, others gently clean the surface wtih a pencil eraser.

Ust the hiden OBC function #6 to see what each sender reads.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
sending units can fail. contact surface gets dirty.
Some put in new senders, others gently clean the surface wtih a pencil eraser.

Ust the hiden OBC function #6 to see what each sender reads.
would reaaly love to do that but problem is i don't know how to do it,if you can give some pointers.have watched some clips off the internet but not yet sure what i should look for during the test. I take it i have to push a certain button on the dashboard till test comes up and then in this case keep pressing it till it gets to #6 but what comes after that.....and what values am i looking for?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 PM

for starters, here's a pretty clear layout of the tests
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC Hidden Functions.pdf (47.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungaJT View Post
would reaaly love to do that but problem is i don't know how to do it,if you can give some pointers.have watched some clips off the internet but not yet sure what i should look for during the test. I take it i have to push a certain button on the dashboard till test comes up and then in this case keep pressing it till it gets to #6 but what comes after that.....and what values am i looking for?
Your E46 may not have the "OBC function turn signal stalk". Most early ones dont, I know mine doesn't but the OBC system is actually in place, albeit inaccessible. Read the WIKI, it will tell you more.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Not really on topic, but one thing to remember about this car is that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. It is not a good idea to let it get much below a quarter of a tank. N4S
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. It is not a good idea to let it get much below a quarter of a tank.
This may be an urban legend, or it might be true.

We've never been able to get everyone to agree either way:
- Does it really matter how much gas should be left to cool the fuel pump (1)