Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Nice review.

You don't have comfort seats and you rave so much about the regular seats, so the comfort seats must be super comfortable.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

So sporty/comfort/etc do more than just change the tranny settings? They change the steering as well? Do they also change the suspension settings? Thanks.
In a 2013 535i MSport without ADC, it changes shift points, throttle response and steering. If you have DDC it changes suspension as well.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 01-02-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Thanks! BTW how do I send texts from the car?! LOL yeah that must have been the time I tried eco pro. I love playing around with the different settings!

So sporty/comfort/etc do more than just change the tranny settings? They change the steering as well? Do they also change the suspension settings? Thanks.

Oh and is the Opticoat the thing the dealer tries to sell you?
You can't send texts from the car. You can just get them on idrive and comand. iPhone is the phone i use. Not sure about others. Bmws text to speech is much better than MB's for reading ur texts to you.

The sport rocker only changes throttle response, shifting, and steering effort. Would control suspension if you had adaptive drive.

Multi contour seats aren't a big deal on the f10. Again on the E70 or E60, huge difference.

Opticoat is not done by the dealer. It's an amazing product available online or some detailers in LA offer it. Check the detail forum. Superior protection and water shedding ability.

Last edited by Kar Don; 01-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Multi contour seats aren't a big deal on the f10. Again on the E70 or E60, huge difference.
The main difference is the adjustable side blosters, not really a big deal unless you are really big or really skinny. Price wise, they are both the same.

Last edited by The X Men; 01-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Quote:

Opticoat is not done by the dealer. It's an amazing product available online or some detailers in LA offer it. Check the detail forum. Superior protection and water shedding ability.
Opicoat is awesome. I'm having my new car delivered directly to the detail shop (detailers domain in NJ) where they will do new car prep and paint correction as well as opti-coat application.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
KA- regarding storage- do you know about the drivers side glovebox? There is a great glove box on the left side of the steering column that is very convenient.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Sweet I'll Check out opticoat. What's a general going rate for it?

Ahh, got it abbot the sport setting. I assume it makes it so in sport the steering gets heavier and requires more effort? Or does it also get more accurate or anything? Also are there any steering differences between sport sand sport +? Or any notable differences between comfort and eco pro aside from I assume simply lowered shift points?

Also with mb if you hold the left downshift paddle down it takes you into the optimal gear top get into your prime power band, is there a way to do something similar thing with BMW?

Aand my final question of this post: do you have to do anything to activate the automatic high beams or are they on and ready by default? Also does the car have low speed cornering lamps?

Thanks.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM

To activate auto highbeams just pull the stalk once. Should show in the instrument cluster.

Also multi contour seats in the f10 are simply not as comfortable as the E-series chassis cars...not just side bolsters.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Sweet I'll Check out opticoat. What's a general going rate for it?
I've never heard of Opticoat either, so started digging. I found a detailing company in my area (Utah) that applies it:

http://www.reflections-detailing.com

I contacted Greg (at Reflections) and he quoted me $250 in addition to any paint polishing they will need to do prior to applying Opticoat.

Here is a nice blog entry Greg wrote in November about Opticoat:

http://www.reflections-detailing.com...paint-coating/

Greg said I could have my vehicle shipped directly to him after it arrives at my dealership. I have already contacted my dealership to let them know I don't want them to do any prep work on my vehicle when it arrives, to just leave the shipping wrap on it. I will have the vehicle shipped either to Reflections or another detailing company in my area (I still need to do some due diligence).

THANK YOU: To whoever mentioned Opticoat and to whoever mentioned they will have their vehicle shipped directly to the detailing company. Both of these were fantastic ideas!

I will probably also have them coat the wheels and apply leather protection to the seats (e.g. Leather Masters) to the seats, things like that.

-Corey

Last edited by cordoor; 01-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Also multi contour seats in the f10 are simply not as comfortable as the E-series chassis cars...not just side bolsters.
By "E-series" do you mean E60/E61?

Bummer if so. I've loved my E60 seats. I've already known the F10 seats don't have side bolsters (medium sized bummer) but if there are other downgrades than that is a serious bummer.

-Corey
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Mr Real Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I've never heard of Opticoat either, so started digging. I found a detailing company in my area (Utah) that applies it:

http://www.reflections-detailing.com

I contacted Greg (at Reflections) and he quoted me $250 in addition to any paint polishing they will need to do prior to applying Opticoat.

Here is a nice blog entry Greg wrote in November about Opticoat:

http://www.reflections-detailing.com...paint-coating/

Greg said I could have my vehicle shipped directly to him after it arrives at my dealership. I have already contacted my dealership to let them know I don't want them to do any prep work on my vehicle when it arrives, to just leave the shipping wrap on it. I will have the vehicle shipped either to Reflections or another detailing company in my area (I still need to do some due diligence).

THANK YOU: To whoever mentioned Opticoat and to whoever mentioned they will have their vehicle shipped directly to the detailing company. Both of these were fantastic ideas!

I will probably also have them coat the wheels and apply leather protection to the seats (e.g. Leather Masters) to the seats, things like that.

-Corey
That was me about getting it delivered to the detailer. Have you heard of paint correction and if so maybe your detailer does it. It makes a brand new car look so much better is laughable. These guys are amazing they post photos before and after correction.

Detailersdomain.com

highboostforum.com/forum/showthread.php/26697-Detailer-s-Domain-Porsche-911-CS-New-Car-Paint-Correction

I clicked your link and it does look like greg does the same thing. That's good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Last edited by DieselNY; 01-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
To activate auto highbeams just pull the stalk once. Should show in the instrument cluster.

I have to disagree-my E550 seats were not even close to my active seats in the f10.

To activate the auto highbeams you have to press the small button at the end of the left stalk- there are two buttons there if you have the option, it's the lower one...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
These guys are amazing they post photos before and after correction.
My word! Those 911 shots are amazing!

Thanks for posting.

-Corey
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Those 911 shots are amazing!
I went back for a second look. Their work is *potentially* amazing.

The shots don't give us the full story, unfortunately. The before shots were all taken with direct sun glare off the vehicle into the camera. The after shots were taken without any sun glare at all. This makes a big difference.

The 50/50 pictures are the most telling of the pictures they provide. But it sure would be nice if they would post afters with direct sun glare.

-Corey
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Mr Real Estate

Quote:
I went back for a second look. Their work is *potentially* amazing.

The shots don't give us the full story, unfortunately. The before shots were all taken with direct sun glare off the vehicle into the camera. The after shots were taken without any sun glare at all. This makes a big difference.

The 50/50 pictures are the most telling of the pictures they provide. But it sure would be nice if they would post afters with direct sun glare.

-Corey
They post those all the time on their Facebook page.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I have to disagree-my E550 seats were not even close to my active seats in the f10.

To activate the auto highbeams you have to press the small button at the end of the left stalk- there are two buttons there if you have the option, it's the lower one...
By E-series i mean E60 5 series, E70 X5, etc... chassis codes

E-Class would mean I'm talking about the Mercedes which I wasn't.

Going from an F10 535i sport (2011) to a X5 with comfort seats, the X5 seats are SO much more comfortable than the F10. Several members on here agree with that... ask quackberry
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Dark Knight

Grr . can't figure out how to activate auto high beams. Thought that with technology package I'd get that option.

Also what are all the buttons on the friggin windshield wiper stalk? Damn is that confusing. There's a little spinning "wheel" in the front and back of it and I have no idea what either do.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Grr . can't figure out how to activate auto high beams. Thought that with technology package I'd get that option.
It is a separate independent option for $250.

-Corey
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
There's a little spinning "wheel" in the front and back of it and I have no idea what either do.
It is the same wheel. It is the rain sensor sensitivity dial. To this day I do not know which way means more sensitive, up or down. But one means more and one means less. The manual does not indicate which is which, and the images on the lever do not help much.

The button on the end of the lever that you push into the lever activates the rain sensitive wipers.

-Corey
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
It is the same wheel. It is the rain sensor sensitivity dial. To this day I do not know which way means more sensitive, up or down. But one means more and one means less. The manual does not indicate which is which, and the images on the lever do not help much.

The button on the end of the lever that you push into the lever activates the rain sensitive wipers.

-Corey
Cool thanks. I finally read the manual and found out some fundamental stuff. I think if you pull the spinning thing down it slows it down? I don't know why they have two.

I guess my only two remaining questions are just what the Sport setting does to the steering (heavier? More direct?) And if Sport + has a different steering setting than Sport (or is it just simply turning T/C off?), and if Comfort and Eco Pro have different steering settings.

AND, is there a way for Comfort Access cars to have ONLY the *Driver Door* unlock when you pull the handle (i.e not unlocking all the doors when it's only you getting in the car)? M-B has an option to do that. IMO it's a good safety-feature when you're usually riding solo.

And my two biggest complaints on this incredible automobile are the stupid double-handle-pull thing and WHY DOES THE HVAC COME ON AUTOMATICALLY WHEN YOU FIRST TURN THE CAR ON????

Other than those little quirks, I'm truly in love.

Last edited by K-A; 01-03-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Under settings go to locking then up top you will see "all doors" selected- change that to drivers door. I personally prefer all doors.
To change the hvac to not come on when you start the car shut it off and then set the memory as you would for your seats- it will also save hvac settings.

Do you have two buttons at the end of your stalk to the left of the steering wheel?? If not you don't have auto high beams.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Under settings go to locking then up top you will see "all doors" selected- change that to drivers door. I personally prefer all doors.
To change the hvac to not come on when you start the car shut it off and then set the memory as you would for your seats- it will also save hvac settings.

Do you have two buttons at the end of your stalk to the left of the steering wheel?? If not you don't have auto high beams.
OMG THANK YOU for letting me know that annoying HVAC thing can be eliminated. But I'm not sure what you mean by memory? Do you mean like set the seat memory again while the HVAC is off and the car is off? I'm pretty sure when I set my seat memory the HVAC was off at the time, but it still comes on whenever I turn the car on.

Yeah I don't have that on the stalk. Kinda sucks. Looks like I found one tech thing that my E-Class had that my 5-Series doesn't.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
To change the hvac to not come on when you start the car shut it off and then set the memory as you would for your seats- it will also save hvac settings. .
Sorry that doesn't work.

It can be coded to remember your setting.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
I wish this was the case, at least not in MY2013. Its one of the first things I want to get coded. Well that and the seat belt chimes.

Quote:

I guess my only two remaining questions are just what the Sport setting does to the steering (heavier? More direct?) And if Sport + has a different steering setting than Sport (or is it just simply turning T/C off?), and if Comfort and Eco Pro have different steering settings.

K-A - when in Sport+ the system does not turn off T/C but rather limits it and gives you a little more play. If i remember correctly if you get past 15 degrees it kicks back in. I can speak to the what exactly is better about the steering. I think its supposed to be more directed... whatever that means...

Last edited by miamiboyca; 01-03-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I have seat time on multi-contour seats on both the 535i and the X5 and I find them both similar. Although the oem seats are horrible on the X5 compare to the 535i. Perhaps you are comparing different leather types, maybe you are comparing nappa leather comfort seats on the X5 and dakota leather multi-contour seats on the 535i. Also, the X5 cabin itself is more comfortable and more spacious, I considered the X5 a year ago, but I did not like the driving position and driving experience of the X5 as much as the 5 series.