Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: X3
transfer case fluid level ???

So I changed my transfer case fluid yesterday. I have read on other threads here that people are adding 0.6L to refill.

I drained mine didn't bother to keep track of how much came out, when I refilled it i put in 1 full litre. I didnt start to seep out of fill plug but I can feel it right at the fill plug hole now.

Am I doing something wrong since it seems to be twice the amount of fluid others are taking to refill???

P.S I' am new to this forum as we just bought our 06 X3(M package) two months ago.
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
mine took almost a full liter, some take more than others. Ive been running mine for 20k miles without issue
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Side track - I see that ECS is now offering a xfer case fluid change kit that includes replacement drain plugs and gaskets/washers.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_XD...se_ServiceKit/

On the capacity, I think that the general experience has been that the factory fill was 0.6L irrespective of how much it was able to take on refilling.

Filling until it dribbles out the fill hole has always been a standard procedure, so not sure what's going on.

Maybe 0.6L is thought to be the required amount but for those units that accept 0.9L no harm is done in filling to that level.
If the extra 0.3L just serves to extend your drain interval I'd go with it.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithAero View Post
So I changed my transfer case fluid yesterday. I have read on other threads here that people are adding 0.6L to refill.

I drained mine didn't bother to keep track of how much came out, when I refilled it i put in 1 full litre. I didnt start to seep out of fill plug but I can feel it right at the fill plug hole now.

Am I doing something wrong since it seems to be twice the amount of fluid others are taking to refill???

P.S I' am new to this forum as we just bought our 06 X3(M package) two months ago.
You're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xDrive Fill.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	347006  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I recently did a transfer case fluid change in my 2006 X3 with Sport Package, etc. I also used the entire liter. If you include all of the spillage and the amount left hanging to the sides of the bottle, and the amount left in the fluid transfer device, you probably really only put in 0.7 or 0.8L MAX anyways. No one can get every drop of that stuff out of the bottle and into the case. Also, the actual numbers (from the TIS) are: 0.69L for "Oil Change Volume", and 0.8L for "New Oil Volume".

One more thing, "operating temperature" is assumed, so if you changed it when it was cold it will be different by a little bit too.

Last edited by Chdlrwnabmr; 10-23-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X-3 740i 325xi 88M5
This is a weird issue. I changed mine today and had one of the BMW bottles of fluid. I pumped the whole bottle in and it is still not dripping out of the fill hole. It is just a little below the fill plug. I assumed there would be more than enough. I didn't spill any as I bought a little pump to put it in. Mine must be an early 04 because there were copper seal rings on the plugs not the rubber rings I see everywhere else. I was going to change the rear diff fluid but there is no drain plug. Anybody else run into this. There is a drain on the front diff.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
This is a weird issue. I changed mine today and had one of the BMW bottles of fluid. I pumped the whole bottle in and it is still not dripping out of the fill hole. It is just a little below the fill plug. I assumed there would be more than enough. I didn't spill any as I bought a little pump to put it in. Mine must be an early 04 because there were copper seal rings on the plugs not the rubber rings I see everywhere else. I was going to change the rear diff fluid but there is no drain plug. Anybody else run into this. There is a drain on the front diff.
Mine took the whole bottle as well and just below the hole is fine. As for the rear diff.... You have to suck it out. Best to remove the spare tire carrier to get to that one. That being said it's really not a big job at all.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: x3 2l diesal
Smile transfer case oil

Hi newbie to the forum wishing everbody a happy 2013 and as before joining really enjoyed the forum really enjoyed the site as an owner of a X3 2l diesal mac in SA could no pick up this knocking noise when comming to a stop Picked up the solution from the forum to try and change tc oil as well as front and back diff oil which app the front was .2 l short when draining took my x3 today for a run on the highway runs like a bomb cannot belive the diff met up with a gti golf 5 doing 180 km with some to spare really chaffed with the forum for all the help as changed front brake pads agents at bmw did not have stock so my mac put in ferodo platinum which now squeal when comming to a stop but other than that really big diff in performance no iron fillings found in oil will def keep posted on any changes thanks everbody from SA.