Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335xi
Help getting rid of lease (335xi E92)? Not a novice, but running into dead ends

Short story - I've got a loaded 2012 335xi coupe on lease, way below mileage requirements. It's listed in the classifieds here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664793

The trouble is that after a few months of craigslist postings and a little dabbling here, I can't seem to get anyone to even bite. It's actually a pretty good deal; I got it at dealer cost and the super elite tier money factor.

I'm not really working right now and am therefore an idiot for having the car. I'd love to offer some lavish incentive to get rid of it, but if I could afford that, I could afford the car. Make sense? I'm drawing down my savings like crazy to not default and keep my credit rating.

The residual is nice and high, which was great for the lease terms, but impossible for a sale to a private buyer - the payoff quote is about $8k over market value due to the artificially high residual that BMW set at the time of the lease. As you can see from above, I don't have $8k in my pocket for the difference.

Not looking for pity or "told you so" posts; I'm an adult and will face my own consequences, but just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and how you resolved it.

Last edited by EyesOnly; 01-02-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Have you tried any of the lease swap sites or even perhaps your dealer to see what they might be able to do...consignment or something? May cost you a little, but better than a dinged up credit score. Good luck.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Good call - I guess I just assumed the dealer would tell me tough luck, but it never hurts to try. I previously had someone assume a lease on a Z4, and I had posted it on swapalease with no responses (seriously, zero), and I got about 50 inquiries by craigslist, which I thought was odd.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOnly View Post
Short story - I've got a loaded 2012 335xi coupe on lease, way below mileage requirements. It's listed in the classifieds here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664793

The trouble is that after a few months of craigslist postings and a little dabbling here, I can't seem to get anyone to even bite. It's actually a pretty good deal; I got it at dealer cost and the super elite tier money factor.

I'm not really working right now and am therefore an idiot for having the car. I'd love to offer some lavish incentive to get rid of it, but if I could afford that, I could afford the car. Make sense? I'm drawing down my savings like crazy to not default and keep my credit rating.

The residual is nice and high, which was great for the lease terms, but impossible for a sale to a private buyer - the payoff quote is about $8k over market value due to the artificially high residual that BMW set at the time of the lease. As you can see from above, I don't have $8k in my pocket for the difference.

Not looking for pity or "told you so" posts; I'm an adult and will face my own consequences, but just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and how you resolved it.
Not sure that I should really chime in here. Certainly the residual is "high" for a 2012 car (that would look a lot better 2 - 3 years from now)...and you may still be competing with leftover "new" cars from dealerships. Quite frankly, your monthly is similar to my "fully equipped" '08 335i (sports pkg, nav, etc.)...although it wasn't the "xi"...hard to calculate the difference!

It goes without saying that getting out of a lease EARLY is DIFFICULT due to the depreciation factor...especially with a 2012!!

As stated in here, there are "lease takeover" companies (I had checked them out previously), but quite frankly speaking, this could be a big hassle as you deal with your lease company who must "vet" the buyer...GOOD LUCK anyway.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Good luck with this difficult situation. Just to give you a little better idea of what you're up against right now, it appears there is substantial manufacturer to dealer incentive money right now that is allowing dealers to be able to sell brand new 2013 models for several thousand dollars below invoice. With the current E92 market conditions it is very likely someone can lease, or even purchase, a new 2013 for less than your current lease payment.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
+1

To be honest, it comes down to the "deal"... your payment is a bit high, you'll likely need an incentive to move it.

I have a similar car though mine is a late 2011, same MSRP, and my lease was $550 with no down payment. I have been running numbers on new cars as my lease is up about 6 months, and I could get into another one just like mine for a similar payment.... so at $650 yours is a bit high. I could get a loaded F30 for that.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
You posted in the discussion forum so here is my thoughts; your lease rate is absolutely outrageous! One can now lease a new F30 with more options for less. Didn't read the entire post, or any reply, but bottom line you need to come off $200/month to make your car relevant.

Good luck.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM

Much appreciated all - when I needed a car this time last year, that was the best deal to be had (I know from comparing on this forum). The residual and MF were average, but I left the dealer just about nothing on the table. To be fair, the sticker price was $57k - the xi coupe really tacks on the base price.

Anyway, I'll post in the classified thread, but I could probably make a payment or two for someone who's interested. Or just give them the money. Wish I could do more...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: '14 550i xDrive
The E92 is at the very end of its life cycle, with the F32 launch right around the corner. Coupe buyers in particular tend to be more style conscious, and don't line up to buy a model that will shortly be "outdated." For the few buyers who are out there, BMW is offering great lease deals on '13s to keep them from stagnating on dealer lots.

The example lease on BMW's website for a '13 335i xDrive Coupe is $389/month with $4114 cash due at signing. Even structured with $0 cash outlay whatsoever, you're looking at barely over $500/month. And that's before negotiating down from MSRP.

Having said that, you likely have three options if you're not able to continue the lease until the end of term:

1. Forfeit on your existing lease, turn the car in, and walk away. I'm not sure how BMW Finance handles this, and what the long-term implications are on your credit, but if you don't have a new source of income on the horizon, it may be worth considering.

2. If the consequences of (1) are too tough to stomach, and you can somehow come up with the cash to do so, increase the incentives on the lease transfer to at least $200/month for the remaining term. That will make your more competitive with the current offer, and someone who loves your car's color/option selections, and who can't find a match at a dealer, may bite.

3. Wait it out a bit longer until the 2013s are no longer on subsidized leases at the dealers. Eventually the residuals will tank on the '13s and the subsidized lease programs will stop being offered. At that time you may find someone who hates the styling/electric power steering/softer handling/first year unreliability/etc. of the F32 and is seeking a low mileage E92. That will take some time though, and you'll be stuck bleeding the monthly payments until then. Also, still no guarantee that you'll be able to transfer it without costly incentives.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully your financial situation will improve soon!

Past: '11 335i xDrive Coupe - 6MT

Past: '08 335xi Coupe - 6MT

Euro Delivery
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Check with Carmax. I'm not sure if they purchase cars out of leases, but it wouldn't hurt to get a number from them.