Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Rosbif Rosbif is offline
Registered User
Location: Nr Paris, France
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 330d Cabrio 2009
Red face Hello and an iPhone question

Hello all - just registered having lurked for years.

I've just swapped my 2002 330Ci Cabrio for a late 2009 German-spec 330d Cabrio, as there really was no competition! The spec on my new car is a little confusing as I'm trying to work out exactly what I have!

I want to be able to play music from my iPod and iPhone. I'd hoped that I'd get Bluetooth audio but understand that didn't come along til later so I need a cable. I tried using an USB cable to connect either my iPod touch or my iPhone 4S but both appear on my iDrive as not supported. I've tried 4 different cables! Funnily enough my daughter's blackberry played music fine. So I've ordered a bmw Y cable thingy. I don't understand why a normal apple USB cable wouldn't work.

Next question - do I need to get a snap-in adaptor, and if so, which one? I see they come in music and media guises now. I presume no bmw app will work? And what is all the Internet stuff?

These are the relevant options I have on the car:

S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S612A BMW ASSIST BMW Assist
S614A INTERNET VORBEREITUNG Internet preparation
S615A ERWEITERTE BMW ONLINE INFORMATION Extended BMW Online Information
S616A BMW ONLINE BMW Online
S633A HANDY VORB. BUSINESS/BLUETOOTH-SCH. Preparation, mobile phone, business
S698A AREA-CODE 2 Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW TeleServices
S6ABA STEUERUNG TELESERVICES Control, Teleservices
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/audio interface
S6NFA MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE Music interface for Smartphone
P7HEA CONNECTIVITY PAKET Connectivity package
P7R7A INNOVATIONSPAKET Innovation package
P7RSA COMFORT PAKET Package Comfort
S7SPA NAVI PROFESSINAL M.HANDYVORB.BLUETOOTH Navi Professional/m.-ph.pr

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM
twhisten twhisten is offline
Drive it like u stole it!
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 784
Mein Auto: 2013 M3
You dont need the snap in adapter........You will need the Y cable for your model year car.
__________________


1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
DrT's Avatar
DrT DrT is offline
BMW CCA Member
Location: South
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
+1 But my 2 cents. I wouldn't overpay for one from BMW. Try getBMWparts.com or Amazon.
Here's a picture of what the Y cable application
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SFPLImage138900.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	355849  
__________________


2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Rosbif Rosbif is offline
Registered User
Location: Nr Paris, France
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 330d Cabrio 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0rd NIk0n View Post
+1 But my 2 cents. I wouldn't overpay for one from BMW. Try getBMWparts.com or Amazon.
Here's a picture of what the Y cable application
I read some bad reviews of OEM parts, especially on Amazon so I've spent the extra for the BMW one. I still don't understand why the apple USB cable doesn't work though..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
sonitm sonitm is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbif View Post
Hello all - just registered having lurked for years.

I've just swapped my 2002 330Ci Cabrio for a late 2009 German-spec 330d Cabrio, as there really was no competition! The spec on my new car is a little confusing as I'm trying to work out exactly what I have!

I want to be able to play music from my iPod and iPhone. I'd hoped that I'd get Bluetooth audio but understand that didn't come along til later so I need a cable. I tried using an USB cable to connect either my iPod touch or my iPhone 4S but both appear on my iDrive as not supported. I've tried 4 different cables! Funnily enough my daughter's blackberry played music fine. So I've ordered a bmw Y cable thingy. I don't understand why a normal apple USB cable wouldn't work.

Next question - do I need to get a snap-in adaptor, and if so, which one? I see they come in music and media guises now. I presume no bmw app will work? And what is all the Internet stuff?

These are the relevant options I have on the car:

S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S612A BMW ASSIST BMW Assist
S614A INTERNET VORBEREITUNG Internet preparation
S615A ERWEITERTE BMW ONLINE INFORMATION Extended BMW Online Information
S616A BMW ONLINE BMW Online
S633A HANDY VORB. BUSINESS/BLUETOOTH-SCH. Preparation, mobile phone, business
S698A AREA-CODE 2 Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW TeleServices
S6ABA STEUERUNG TELESERVICES Control, Teleservices
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/audio interface
S6NFA MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE Music interface for Smartphone
P7HEA CONNECTIVITY PAKET Connectivity package
P7R7A INNOVATIONSPAKET Innovation package
P7RSA COMFORT PAKET Package Comfort
S7SPA NAVI PROFESSINAL M.HANDYVORB.BLUETOOTH Navi Professional/m.-ph.pr

Thanks in advance!
All you need is a 3.5 mm male to male jack cable. plug it in the aux and play your music. If you want your iphone to charges, the the Y cable from ebay will do the job. Do not connect your music through bluetooth,the quality will suffer and the battery will drain fast. Also make sure the car software is up to date.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
DrT's Avatar
DrT DrT is offline
BMW CCA Member
Location: South
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitm View Post
all you need is a 3.5 mm male to male jack cable. Plug it in the aux and play your music. If you want your iphone to charges, the the y cable from ebay will do the job. Do not connect your music through bluetooth,the quality will suffer and the battery will drain fast. Also make sure the car software is up to date.
+1
__________________


2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,946
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Your 2009 does not support any of the features that you want. The hardware is just not there.

Get the BMW OEM iPod cable and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbif View Post
Hello all - just registered having lurked for years.

I've just swapped my 2002 330Ci Cabrio for a late 2009 German-spec 330d Cabrio, as there really was no competition! The spec on my new car is a little confusing as I'm trying to work out exactly what I have!

I want to be able to play music from my iPod and iPhone. I'd hoped that I'd get Bluetooth audio but understand that didn't come along til later so I need a cable. I tried using an USB cable to connect either my iPod touch or my iPhone 4S but both appear on my iDrive as not supported. I've tried 4 different cables! Funnily enough my daughter's blackberry played music fine. So I've ordered a bmw Y cable thingy. I don't understand why a normal apple USB cable wouldn't work.

Next question - do I need to get a snap-in adaptor, and if so, which one? I see they come in music and media guises now. I presume no bmw app will work? And what is all the Internet stuff?

These are the relevant options I have on the car:

S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S612A BMW ASSIST BMW Assist
S614A INTERNET VORBEREITUNG Internet preparation
S615A ERWEITERTE BMW ONLINE INFORMATION Extended BMW Online Information
S616A BMW ONLINE BMW Online
S633A HANDY VORB. BUSINESS/BLUETOOTH-SCH. Preparation, mobile phone, business
S698A AREA-CODE 2 Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW TeleServices
S6ABA STEUERUNG TELESERVICES Control, Teleservices
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/audio interface
S6NFA MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE Music interface for Smartphone
P7HEA CONNECTIVITY PAKET Connectivity package
P7R7A INNOVATIONSPAKET Innovation package
P7RSA COMFORT PAKET Package Comfort
S7SPA NAVI PROFESSINAL M.HANDYVORB.BLUETOOTH Navi Professional/m.-ph.pr

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Rosbif Rosbif is offline
Registered User
Location: Nr Paris, France
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 330d Cabrio 2009
Thanks all. I bought the BMW cable (real one as I didn't like the longevity prospects of the OEM ones) and it works. Not sure why a normal Apple cable didn't though when the Blackberry happily played with a normal USB cable. I was hoping I'd get the album covers but guess that came later.

BTW - if I did go for a snap-in it's just the standard one I need, not media?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,946
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbif View Post
Thanks all. I bought the BMW cable (real one as I didn't like the longevity prospects of the OEM ones) and it works. Not sure why a normal Apple cable didn't though when the Blackberry happily played with a normal USB cable. I was hoping I'd get the album covers but guess that came later.

BTW - if I did go for a snap-in it's just the standard one I need, not media?
Again... the hardware required to support Media and other features is not installed in your car (Combox).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM
SpartanGA SpartanGA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ATL
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 396
Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
I have a 2011 and an Iphone 5. I play Pandora or Sirius over bluetooth and it even shows the album. However when I plug it in with lightning cable into center console usb to charge it does not update the albums. It also turns off bluetooth audio.

I have the apple Bmw cable for the older iphone. Will that work better with the adaptor for the new connector?
__________________
Jim

2011 335i Convertible M-Sport - Silver - Saddle
2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 AM
joebiron joebiron is offline
Registered User
Location: dartmouth
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2009 328i xDrive
This is a great post that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I'm negotiating on a 2009 328i withOUT iDrive or BMW Assist/Bluetooth.

This post clearly explains that I will need the Y-cable.

Question: was this infamous y-cable provided with the vehicle? Should I be expecting that it is stuffed in the glovebox somewhere on this CPO vehicle I'm looking to buy?

If not, then I guess I'll buy one, but on ShowBMWUsa all I see is
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3241

Which is an even more confusing monstrosity, and it's $100! Moreover it does not look at all like what I expected to see. Why the power adapter when it should be able to charge through USB? Where's the Apple connector cable part? See what I mean...confusing.

I see some on Amazon but with dubious reviews. http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTER.../dp/B003P6DGMK

At least that one looks like what I expected to see.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
740li 740li is offline
Registered User
Location: Middle east
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Send a message via ICQ to 740li
Mein Auto: BMW 740li 2006
Hello everyone, can someone guide me how can I connect my iPhone to 2006 BMW 740Li?

I can't find an option in idrive or BMW assist!

If not possible is there a workaround to play iPhone tunes on my car?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM
wiscopete wiscopete is offline
wiscopete
Location: wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitm View Post
All you need is a 3.5 mm male to male jack cable. plug it in the aux and play your music. If you want your iphone to charges, the the Y cable from ebay will do the job. Do not connect your music through bluetooth,the quality will suffer and the battery will drain fast. Also make sure the car software is up to date.
100% correct. My wife actually has her kindle read books to her on drives home from work by just using the male to male connection and playing through aux on her 08 328xi. I am sure her iphone would work the same, but she also has sirius so usually doesn't play cd's or stream from her iphone.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM
wiscopete wiscopete is offline
wiscopete
Location: wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebiron View Post
This is a great post that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I'm negotiating on a 2009 328i withOUT iDrive or BMW Assist/Bluetooth.

This post clearly explains that I will need the Y-cable.

Question: was this infamous y-cable provided with the vehicle? Should I be expecting that it is stuffed in the glovebox somewhere on this CPO vehicle I'm looking to buy?

If not, then I guess I'll buy one, but on ShowBMWUsa all I see is
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3241

Which is an even more confusing monstrosity, and it's $100! Moreover it does not look at all like what I expected to see. Why the power adapter when it should be able to charge through USB? Where's the Apple connector cable part? See what I mean...confusing.

I see some on Amazon but with dubious reviews. http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTER.../dp/B003P6DGMK

At least that one looks like what I expected to see.



Any ideas?

Just get a male to male cable at Radio Shack for $10 or so and you will be set.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 AM
740li 740li is offline
Registered User
Location: Middle east
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Send a message via ICQ to 740li
Mein Auto: BMW 740li 2006
Hello, can someone help me connect my iPhone to 2006 740Li?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
sonitm sonitm is offline
Registered User
Location: canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
You don't need the snap in adapter. Good choice: Y cable. Even better (and cheaper) choice: a regular charging cable and a 3.5mm jack cable. Both will cost you $2 on ebay. Done.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Nader-Vancouver Nader-Vancouver is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2011 convertible
Hello all, I tried to play music using the USB Port in the glove box of my 2011 E93 (Cabrio) but It did not play. When I used the USB connection through the connection in the center armrest space, it worked fine. I have used both my samsung mp3 player and my Ipod , both with their USB cable. My question is : Is the USB connection in the glove box supposed to do the same thing ? Can you have 1 unit connected in center armrest and 1 in glove box and play them both ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
apps, bluetooth, iphone, music, usb


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms