Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325 Ci
Engine Cover Part Number OEM

Need a little help locating a part. I am almost positive I have checked every single parts diagram on the OEM site for BMW but have not been able to locate the part diagram or number for a replacement engine cover for my 2004 BMW 325 ci.
I am guessing that it is not called an engine cover maybe a shroud or something else.

I am hoping that somebody who is a little more familiar with the site can give me an assist on locating the part.

Thanks!

Here's a quick link to the real OEM site:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...3&mospid=47711
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Do you mean this?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...overs/ES18527/
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM

I think so and thanks for finding it. It is the only part that they have listed on their website for a cover for the 2004. When I put in my VIN number it says that my engine is an M56. That cover is for an M54. I know I ordered the cover and microfilter housing from a local dismantler and they sent the wrong parts. I guess I can take a look under the hood and see if everything aligns properly. Or just order and if its not the right one then send it back.
Thanks for the search help. Still can't find the part number for the darn thing anywhere.

Much appreciated SJBimmer.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheflance View Post
I think so and thanks for finding it. It is the only part that they have listed on their website for a cover for the 2004. When I put in my VIN number it says that my engine is an M56. That cover is for an M54. I know I ordered the cover and microfilter housing from a local dismantler and they sent the wrong parts. I guess I can take a look under the hood and see if everything aligns properly. Or just order and if its not the right one then send it back.
Thanks for the search help. Still can't find the part number for the darn thing anywhere.

Much appreciated SJBimmer.
Yeah the M56 is a strange beast, and I don't think that the cover I referenced will fit as the oil filler is in a different location on the M56. Your best bet is to probably call a local junk yard to see what cars they have in stock, and then go take a look. The M56 was only sold in CA, Vermont, Massachusetts and NY if I recall correctly. I sure hope your fuel pump never fails on that car, as the fuel pump is integrated with the fuel tank, and the whole shebang is over 6K. It is covered by the emissions warranty but if you are past that, and you want to keep the car, start searching now. Good luck! BTW if you search under M56 fuel pump, you will see what I mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M56

Last edited by SJBimmer; 01-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 PM

I can't even try furious method until I find the part number and it's almost impossible. I am just going to have to try a couple different dismantlers and junk yards until I can either get the number or the part.
Loving the car, hating trying to find the parts. Bought the car a month ago from a private owner and I am guessing that the mechanic he was taking it to, a Russian friend of his, didn't know how to remove the engine cover and microfilter housing properly. Neither were on the car when I bought them and I didn't realize until I took it to a local mechanic to have the car checked over. It was a great deal on the car and only needed to replace the stabilizer bushings and new front tires.
I'm going to get the serpentine belt changed and oil done this week.
Is it a big deal to not have the engine cover? Just wondering. Cuts down on noise a bit and ... protects the engine and spark plugs, I guess. Not a big deal if I am driving without it, I hope.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
I saw E46's with relatively stock engines racing without the beauty covers so the mechanics could access things quicker, and I'm sure also to save weight. You can run without them, but as you mentioned, in the interest if keeping things clean and quiet, I would replace it as soon as I could.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM

After endless hours of searching I finally have given up on finding the parts for my car at an auto dismantler or salvage yard. Apparently the M56 is a pretty rare beast .

I ordered my parts through ECS tuning. So far the guys there are pretty on top of things. Kyle helped me with the engine cover and I called and talked to Adam and we got the microfilter housing and all components ordered today. As far as dealing with them on the phone they were top notch. Prices were pretty spot on with the realOEM site. The bottom part of the microfilter housing was marked up $40 but the rest of the parts were below listed price. I am going to have to go through BMW to get the 4 screws I need. They only let the distributors sell them 10 at a time. At $3 a piece I'll go ahead and go through BMW for those parts.

I'll update the review of ECS when the parts get here but they have been the most helpful and efficient parts distributor I have talked to yet.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Not sure why it's hard to find, but I bet a dealership can get the part number you need so you can look around for one.

I knew I had seen a photo somewhere... here it is at Turner Motorsport:

Reference: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-26...-software.aspx

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheflance View Post
After endless hours of searching I finally have given up on finding the parts for my car at an auto dismantler or salvage yard. Apparently the M56 is a pretty rare beast .

I ordered my parts through ECS tuning. So far the guys there are pretty on top of things. Kyle helped me with the engine cover and I called and talked to Adam and we got the microfilter housing and all components ordered today. As far as dealing with them on the phone they were top notch. Prices were pretty spot on with the realOEM site. The bottom part of the microfilter housing was marked up $40 but the rest of the parts were below listed price. I am going to have to go through BMW to get the 4 screws I need. They only let the distributors sell them 10 at a time. At $3 a piece I'll go ahead and go through BMW for those parts.

I'll update the review of ECS when the parts get here but they have been the most helpful and efficient parts distributor I have talked to yet.
Most salvage yards can put out a request on the network to find one. Try car-part.com