Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: Mitsubishi
Tail Light Bulb Replacement #3

Hi Guys; quick question, I searched and read the manual but could not find an answer.

How do I replace the tail light bulb in my wife's X3 '06, manual says to pop the side plastic cover but it seems a bit to stuck. I don't want to break anything or end up at the dealer for it.

Based on the book it is the #3 light attached to the body, I have the amber indicator on the dashboard.

Any help, pictures, instructions Etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Figman
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
Hi Guys; quick question, I searched and read the manual but could not find an answer.

How do I replace the tail light bulb in my wife's X3 '06, manual says to pop the side plastic cover but it seems a bit to stuck. I don't want to break anything or end up at the dealer for it.

Based on the book it is the #3 light attached to the body, I have the amber indicator on the dashboard.

Any help, pictures, instructions Etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Figman
Take off the carpet cover on the inside and the light bulb will be accessible . I purchased my new bulb at the dealer, Its silver coated. The only one I could find at the auto stores was clear with the comparable socket base. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 12-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
.... manual says to pop the side plastic cover but it seems a bit to stuck. I don't want to break anything or end up at the dealer for it.
Assuming you have removed the fabric covered rigid panel, and the soft padding over the back of the assembly where the wiring passes through,
you may be stuck after pressing together the two plastic clips in the middle of the circuit board for the bulbs.

That is because the holes in the metal that the bulbs have to pass through are not that big.

You just have to carefully jiggle it until the bulbs can cleanly exit the holes.

(Same thing when putting it back.)

I think it is just the turn signal bulb that has a coating and might be easiest to get that at the dealer.

The 21W single filament tail/stop bulbs can be bought anywhere. Just make sure the base is silver, not brass, and the bulb # matches (1157 or something?), or is an upgraded # for longer life.

The instructions in the manual are not that good, as there are subtle differences between the passenger side and driver side in how outer panels are removed.
The book tells you to release the wiring connector I think, but this doesn't seem to be necessary.

Make sure the rigid plastic is locked properly in place on re-assembly.

Some owners have found that bulbs can just work loose and have not burnt out.

But once you get that far may as well replace them anyway as they lose intensity over time.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Did this last week

There is a button on the side at the top that operates a latch. Even if you push and hold it may not clear. It's totally mechanical so press it a little harder at the same time you pull on the panel from the top. It will rotate down. Then remove the carpet pieces covering the back of the tail light. Remove power plug then pull out the holder containing bulb.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport