Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i
Car battery is dead and cannot open doors! Please Help!

Hi,

I have a 1999 540i and left the lights on for one night. The battery is only a few months old but I cannot unlock the doors using the remote or by manually keying into the drivers door. I can open the trunk but I don't think the back seats fold down from the trunk.

I need to open the car in order to open the hood and then charge the battery, if there are any suggestions besides calling AAA it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for any help!
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325is
The battery is in the trunk, use your key to manually open the trunk. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-thetikz View Post
The battery is in the trunk, use your key to manually open the trunk. Good luck!
+1 ....recharge from the battery in the trunk.

Click Me

Albo's Official Upgrade Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530iA - Mumbo Jumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
If you don't want to do nothing, you must want to do something.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
To unlock the door you just need to insert the key and turn a full 90 degrees counterclockwise. The manual operation can be very stiff if it has never been used or lubricated.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
To unlock the door you just need to insert the key
These threads are starting to give me a laugh.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
To unlock the door you just need to insert the key and turn a full 90 degrees counterclockwise. The manual operation can be very stiff if it has never been used or lubricated.
I had that problem recently, had to force it a bit to get the manual door unlocking to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
These threads are starting to give me a laugh.
haha i was thinking the same thing.
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Moussa View Post
haha i was thinking the same thing.
I think it was Saint Q who remarked at one of these threads that we're so used to pushing the button on the key fob that we don't think about the fact that we used to open car doors with the key all the time, way back when.

Anyway, to the OP, you're not the first person (nor the last) to ask this question:
- How to open the hood (1) or trunk manually when you have a dead 12v car battery (1) (2) (3) & how to unlock the older E39 if the key is locked inside the trunk (1) (2)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
These threads have been beating to death haha!

OK, if you turn the key manually and the door does not open, then your door tumbler is frozen from years of non-use.

Anyway, the quickest way to solve the problem is:
- Jack the Left Front up (no need to remove the wheel), support with jackstand for safety.
Or rest the wheel down on a wood ramps etc.
- Under the car is the starter motor. Look for the RED cable feeding the starter motor.
- Connect Red to Red (from donor battery)
- Ground is ground.
- Then hit the remote. You will likely need an assistant for this job.

The location of the Red terminal is at the same area as the aft part of the tire. Locate the aft part of the tire and move inward, you will see it: