Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D SE (E45) 2003
Smile New Bimmer Owner Here

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I collected my first bimmer, a 2003 320d SE (E45), with full leather and wooden trim. I absolutely love the car!
I joined a different bimmer forum prior to this but have decided to give this a go because of the rudeness of the other one.

I am a web designer and computer technician for a large company at the moment however prior to this I worked for an insurance brokers for 2 years, hopefully I will be able to give a little back information wise.

I have a couple of questions.

My 320 currently does not unlock or lock via the central key locking system, the central locking button inside the cabin works fine, which leads me to believe that the key just has no charge rather than being a fuse issue. has anybody else has this problem?

IS there a way to install a bluetooth kit that will not look out of place in the car, has anybody got any suggestions?

I look forward to reading your replies (I hope lol).

Adam
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Your key is probably not original and needs to be coded to the car. It's a trip to the dealer if I recall correctly although there may be a DIY routine I am not remembering, I know tree are threads about this. If the key is OEM that's all you need, but there are reports of some cheap eBay specials that cannot be coded.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
If it is a legit key and has been coded, it could be the battery to the fob. You could take it to a battery or hardware store that tests batteries to see if it is any good.

I know nothing about bluetech, so I will defer to those who do.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D SE (E45) 2003
Thankyou both for your replies,
I have been lead to believe that both the main key and the spare key are the original keys that came with the car, I have seen them lock and unlock the car when I went to view it.
I am going to give the car a long drive today to see if it puts any charge in it. If I have no success I shall go and see about having a new battery to it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
I never knew the batteries in these keys needed replaced, I thought it was charged by using them? Car charges the key, kind if thing?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325 Ci
Battery might have gone dead if the car sat for a while without being used or recharged. I don't know what kind of battery BMW is using but it could be numerous little issues. Why not just take it to a local dealership and let them recode it for you. It's free and just a little bit of your time. Hopefully that works. I know I just bought my 2004 325ci a month and a half ago and had to get another key for the gf. Mucho moolah!

As far as Bimmerfest as a forum ... awesome! I just joined after buying my first and the guys here are pretty helpful. Really appreciate the research and advice given here. There's a couple guys that are always on and are on top of helping find parts and answering questions. Great ideas on dealing with azzhole neighbors. LOL. If you search the forums for 'neighbor keyed my car' you'll see what I mean.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the key.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Cheflance, what happened with your car? Did you turn it into your own insurance co?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam320 View Post
I joined a different bimmer forum prior to this but have decided to give this a go because of the rudeness of the other one.

Don't give up on the rude guys. They're that way because they know more.
So if you want great tech info, keep that one active too.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325 Ci
Not to hijack the thread but my claim was denied because of lack of coverage. Which works out fine for me:
A) Lower deductible for uninsured motorist than collision.
B) Submit the denial to the landlord and let him talk to the neighbors.
C) Take the accident to small claims court - it forces them to confront me in court and is a ding on their(her) credit score.
And if she doesn't come back for court when I file the claim i automatically will win. It will cost me $40 to file the claim. Easily worth it for me versus her getting away with it. Besides the fact that she had just gotten her Celica fixed from the minor accidents she had been in but her own dad backed into her car and dented the back passenger quarter panel about 3 days after she got her car fixed. F'ing morons my neighbors are! We are getting a camera installed, also, to stop any future property damage by the lowlifes next door. And work towards the landlord realizing that life is better without them renting the apartment next door. Hopefully