Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 AM
__co__ __co__ is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Replace iPod interface with original CD-changer

Hi,

2 years ago, I had an OEM iPod interface fitted which replaced the CD-changer in my '04 645CI. Since I'm selling the car, I want to put the CD-changer back in the car so that I can use it in another car (or sell it separately since they are worth a few ).

My question is, can I just replace the iPod interface with the original CD-changer or does the car require recoding after this change?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,390
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by __co__ View Post
Hi,

2 years ago, I had an OEM iPod interface fitted which replaced the CD-changer in my '04 645CI. Since I'm selling the car, I want to put the CD-changer back in the car so that I can use it in another car (or sell it separately since they are worth a few ***8364.

My question is, can I just replace the iPod interface with the original CD-changer or does the car require recoding after this change?

Thanks!
Since most of the iPod interfaces emulate the CD changer so it my be just a plug and play. I would just try it, I don't think you could break anything.

Are you selling the interface? I may be interested if you are.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,160
Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
When I sold mine I just took out the ipod interface and put the CD change back in, I did not test it as I sold it to a dealer, a private person would have been a different matter!!!!
__________________

Does my bum look good in this !
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
__co__ __co__ is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: '04 645CI
My thoughts are the same Rosang, I think I'll just give it a try this weekend. See what happens

I might sell it, but since I'm living in the Netherlands shipping costs are likely quite high. I'm looking for another car and decision of selling it depends on the installed options on the new vehicle.

I'd rather like the CD changer to work when I deliver the car since I said to the buyer that the car is 100% ok. So I will definitely test the unit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
rebel.ranter rebel.ranter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cork, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 459
Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Technically you would need to code the car to change the VO of the car. The CD changer is listed in the VO as option $672, the iPod interface kit is listed as +IPOD.
Just as a point to note the Dension iPod interface unit works with either $672 or +IPOD so the CD changer may also work with both. Don't forget that there are both electrical & optical connections to the CD changer.
If you forget to connect up the optical connector you may disrupt the MOST optical fibre ring & cause the Bluetooth, CD changer, Nav or Radio/CD/DVD to stop working. It's because it relies on it being a ring of connection.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM
__co__ __co__ is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Ok, thanks!

Looking at the CD changer unit, there is only one plug (X18180) which holds 2 optic fibres and 4 electrical pins. I guess i cannot go wrong there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,390
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by __co__ View Post
My thoughts are the same Rosang, I think I'll just give it a try this weekend. See what happens

I might sell it, but since I'm living in the Netherlands shipping costs are likely quite high. I'm looking for another car and decision of selling it depends on the installed options on the new vehicle.

I'd rather like the CD changer to work when I deliver the car since I said to the buyer that the car is 100% ok. So I will definitely test the unit.
I'll be in Amsterdam at the end of the month, so shipping should not be an issue. As they say in New York, "Make me an offer I can't refuse"
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 AM
__co__ __co__ is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Hehe, ok. If I'm selling the unit, I will let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,390
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by __co__ View Post
Hehe, ok. If I'm selling the unit, I will let you know.
Thanks.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM
__co__ __co__ is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Just an update: I removed the iPod interface and refitted the CD-changer. Worked like a charm without recode.

Roseng, I bought another vehicle which also needs the iPod retrofit, so I will most likely use it in that car. So at this moment, I'm not selling it (sorry )
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,390
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by __co__ View Post
Just an update: I removed the iPod interface and refitted the CD-changer. Worked like a charm without recode.

Roseng, I bought another vehicle which also needs the iPod retrofit, so I will most likely use it in that car. So at this moment, I'm not selling it (sorry )
Too bad. I'm heading to Amsterdam on Sat. and I was going to check in with you. What did you replace it with?
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM
__co__ __co__ is offline
Registered User
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Another '04 645, but an E64 with low mileage and many options. I had a Z4 before and I missed the convertible top

I looked for a younger car but in the Netherlands they are just too expensive, unless you look at the vehicles with +100K miles on it. With the N62 coolant leakage issues in mind, that wasn't an option for me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,390
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by __co__ View Post
Another '04 645, but an E64 with low mileage and many options. I had a Z4 before and I missed the convertible top

I looked for a younger car but in the Netherlands they are just too expensive, unless you look at the vehicles with +100K miles on it. With the N62 coolant leakage issues in mind, that wasn't an option for me.
I am aware of car prices there and I understand. Hopefully you are not in Amsterdam as I am also aware of the parking prices there too.
Good luck with the new ride.
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms