Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Sorry that doesn't work.

It can be coded to remember your setting.
Apologies, I though we had resolved that it can be done...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I have seat time on multi-contour seats on both the 535i and the X5 and I find them both similar. Although the oem seats are horrible on the X5 compare to the 535i. Perhaps you are comparing different leather types, maybe you are comparing nappa leather comfort seats on the X5 and dakota leather multi-contour seats on the 535i. Also, the X5 cabin itself is more comfortable and more spacious, I considered the X5 a year ago, but I did not like the driving position and driving experience of the X5 as much as the 5 series.
No, I'm pretty car savvy and know the difference between types of leather. It is seat comfort and how it feels. Driving my f10 for a long time it is tiresome. The x5 is way better.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
No, I'm pretty car savvy and know the difference between types of leather. It is seat comfort and how it feels. Driving my f10 for a long time it is tiresome. The x5 is way better.
They're trying to up-sell you on the massaging feature

-Corey
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Maybe its the seating position, the X5 sit much higher. My wife finds the higher sitting position more comfortable as well, but I like the sedan's sitting position more comfortable.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
They're trying to up-sell you on the massaging feature

-Corey
I have the massaging feature, best $1100 I ever spent. Drove 14 hours in one day and still felt great - which is amazing since I have the back of a 104 year old brick layer...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I have the massaging feature, best $1100 I ever spent. Drove 14 hours in one day and still felt great - which is amazing since I have the back of a 104 year old brick layer...
Sweet action! I added the feature to my build too for the same reason you give. Glad to hear it actually works!

-Corey
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Grr so it can't be done huh.

And how do I get the car to roll in D when I have the door open? In my parking spot I do that to ensure I don't scrape the cement curb stopper with my front bumper but the car just keeps annoyingly and brutally jamming into park as soon as I let go of the brake to let it D roll. After about 5 times (which um sure can't be great for the tranny) it finally will let me do it.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Sweet action! I added the feature to my build too for the same reason you give. Glad to hear it actually works!

-Corey
Yep, I actually shifter the heat in the seat to the back part (rather than the bottom) and turned on the massage. Was actually very nice.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

And how do I get the car to roll in D when I have the door open? In my parking spot I do that to ensure I don't scrape the cement curb stopper with my front bumper but the car just keeps annoyingly and brutally jamming into park as soon as I let go of the brake to let it D roll. After about 5 times (which um sure can't be great for the tranny) it finally will let me do it.
Its a safety feature, you cannot roll the car with the doors open.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Isn't there a better way to go into your spot that sticking half your body out the car? Seems kind of awkward. How bout back in with the rear camera? The E-class does the same thing so I'm not sure how you did it in that car?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Isn't there a better way to go into your spot that sticking half your body out the car? Seems kind of awkward. How bout back in with the rear camera? The E-class does the same thing so I'm not sure how you did it in that car?
With the E when you open the door it goes into P, but they you can just switch it back to D and it'll stay. With the 5er it just goes back into P.

Oh well, will have to find a new technique.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
K-A - have you noticed the throttle tip-in issue on this car or no? Wondering if the issue is not there in the 2013's.
A little update on this, in Sport mode at least, I notice pretty much NO throttle tip in. It's pretty damn instantaneous. Sometimes (can't remember which setting this is in) the throttle is a little tricky for someone like me coming from a V6 Mercedes, as it kind of surprisingly jolts as if the Turbo spools up instantaneously, but I guess that can be seen as a good thing as it makes the car feel very aggressively torquey. All in all, I think BMW nailed it with the different settings and how they change throttle response. I'll keep paying attention to it.

Does anyone have a pointers about the "kick to open" rear trunk? It seems like every time I actually have my hands full, the kick doesn't open it. Today I was looking like a fool with hands full of groceries kicking the air under my car, finally after so many times my legs let go of coordination and maybe in a subconscious message accidentally lightly kicked the bottom of the bumper.... and then the trunk finally popped open. LOL. Please tell me you don't ACTUALLY have to kick the thing to engage that??

I gotta say, coming out of 5 years of M-B's, you feel cool as hell driving this car. The feeling and view from the cockpit just gives an incredible level of confidence considering you're in such a luxurious, solid, substantial feeling car (basically a performance vibe that feels comfortable and cozy while at the same time very safe and strong). It feels vastly more youthful and red-blooeded than the E, and just makes you feel cool as ice. Now I know why BMW drivers drive like such d-bags as if they own the road.

Last edited by K-A; 01-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Dark Knight

Kar Don: You just might have done the second best thing for me all year....

OPTICOAT SOUNDS LIKE THE ANSWER TO ALL MY DREAMS!!!!!!!

Something for a lazy a$$ OCD detail freak like me who wished that there was a "one time wax that would protect like infinite wax"? It seems like Opticoat 2.0 is EXACTLY that?

Anybody please send me a reputable detailer in the L.A area who does this application well. If it's not insanely expensive I will be on it asap.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have a pointers about the "kick to open" rear trunk? It seems like every time I actually have my hands full, the kick doesn't open it. Today I was looking like a fool with hands full of groceries kicking the air under my car, finally after so many times my legs let go of coordination and maybe in a subconscious message accidentally lightly kicked the bottom of the bumper.... and then the trunk finally popped open. LOL. Please tell me you don't ACTUALLY have to kick the thing to engage that??

I do a sway kick under the car from right to left, that I have to admit when it does not open must make me look like a complete moron. People must think i am shooing away a cat!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Early roadfly migrant

Mein Auto: 13 535i 11 R350 98 M3/4
Quote:
The top-view cameras should help as well.
98 M3/4/5
00 323i (sold)
10 MB ML350 (sold)
08 MB GL450 (sold)
Old 01-04-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I have a 90% success rate with my kick open technique The sensor is way in there, you need to kick it to the point where your shin is almost touching the rear bumper. Kick straight in and out fast and in the middle of the bumper.
Practice makes perfect, my young grasshopper

As far as cement parking blocks, I usually use the bottom of my driver side mirror as a reference when I pull up to high curbs or parking blocks.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Kar Don: You just might have done the second best thing for me all year....

OPTICOAT SOUNDS LIKE THE ANSWER TO ALL MY DREAMS!!!!!!!

Something for a lazy a$$ OCD detail freak like me who wished that there was a "one time wax that would protect like infinite wax"? It seems like Opticoat 2.0 is EXACTLY that?

Anybody please send me a reputable detailer in the L.A area who does this application well. If it's not insanely expensive I will be on it asap.
It is fantastic. I have it applied on my black E and love it. Stays WAY cleaner with it applied.

People on the F30 forum said there is an update that improves the kick to open feature on their car. They are reporting great success. Not sure if it is available on the F10.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Practice makes perfect, my young grasshopper
Wrong.

"Right practice makes better."

If you practice wrong (e.g. swooshing your foot in the wrong place or direction), you aren't going to get better at what you're trying to accomplish. If you do manage to practice right, you can only hope to get better (as evidenced by your 90% success rate, which may be as high as is possible).

I have heard "perfect practice makes perfect," but I've never actually seen anyone practice something perfectly and again, perfection is probably impossible anyway.

My daddy taught me this when I was a wee lad learning to play a musical instrument

-Corey
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Now I know why BMW drivers drive like such d-bags as if they own the road.
Why would you say something like this - with or w/o the smiley face.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
It feels vastly more youthful and red-blooeded than the E, and just makes you feel cool as ice. Now I know why BMW drivers drive like such d-bags as if they own the road.
hahaha, I think this should be nominated for quote of the year.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 AM

BMW, the ultimate D bag driving machine
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post
Why would you say something like this - with or w/o the smiley face.
He said they drive *like* d-bags. He did not say they were actually d-bags.

I will admit to driving like a d-bag. At least my wife tells me I do.

-Corey
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
He said they drive *like* d-bags. He did not say they were actually d-bags.

I will admit to driving like a d-bag. At least my wife tells me I do.

-Corey
I will admit to both...
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Dark Knight

Lol.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM

You guys every heard that old joke? Whats the difference between a BMW and a dog, the dog's prick is on the outside