Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
2013 X5M 19" winter tire recommendation?

I need to use 255/50x19 on a set of #298M BMW 9x19 wheels. My concern is the car is based in SoCal but will driven to our second home in NW Montana where we will enjoy the cold for a month or two. The cross country jaunt is 1250 miles each way, so we need winter/snow/ice (??) tires that will be acceptable for a fast (80-90 mph) run to Montana but allow us to get around in rain/snow/ice and very cold weather once we get there.

Road noise is a concern on such a long cross country so I'm willing to give up a little snow traction for a pleasant drive there and back.

What do you recommend?

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I need to use 255/50x19 on a set of #298M BMW 9x19 wheels. My concern is the car is based in SoCal but will driven to our second home in NW Montana where we will enjoy the cold for a month or two. The cross country jaunt is 1250 miles each way, so we need winter/snow/ice (??) tires that will be acceptable for a fast (80-90 mph) run to Montana but allow us to get around in rain/snow/ice and very cold weather once we get there.

Road noise is a concern on such a long cross country so I'm willing to give up a little snow traction for a pleasant drive there and back.

What do you recommend?
If you're looking for an all-season tire to use year round, two of the most popular choices for the X5 given the conditions you've described are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...ires/index.jsp

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Actually, I'm looking for a winter specific 19" tire in 255/50 and will use the OEM 20" staggered set 9 months out of the year.

Does that change your recommendation Gary?

thank you

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Actually, I'm looking for a winter specific 19" tire in 255/50 and will use the OEM 20" staggered set 9 months out of the year.

Does that change your recommendation Gary?

thank you
Definitely. You can get much better snow and ice traction out of a dedicated winter snow tire that you remove for the rest of the year. The Pirelli Scorpion Winter would be the way to go for your conditions in the 255/50R19 size.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...nter/index.jsp