Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: GT 530d
HUD additional Functions won't work

Hi Guys,

I wanted to really put my HUD to work but am stuck maybe with apparently different settings between the HU_CIC from the Cheat-Sheet V3 and the HU_NBT in my car.

- Turn Signals
according to the cheat-sheet the function "HUD_TURNSIGNAL" should be in HU_CIC/3000 HMI.
in HU_NBT it is in 3001 EXBOX, and I activated it there.
then there is a function in KOMBI/3003, HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE which I turned activ also
and of course in KOMBI/3000 BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE I activated as well.

But there is no checkbox in the HUD-Settings where I could select it and it is of course not working.

- Entertainment/Telephone
in HU_NBT/3000 HMI I activated the Function HUD_ENTERTAINMENTLIST and also in KOMBI/3003 the function HUD_ENTERTAINMENT_ENABLE (there is nothing similar to that in KOMBI/3000)
In HUD-Settings I have now a checkbox for this function but can not activate it.

- Distance Information
could code it, have a checkbox in HUD-Settings, can activate it but could not test it yet.

Car is I-Level F001-12-07-533, PsdZdata 48.1

Thank you.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback View Post
Hi Guys,

I wanted to really put my HUD to work but am stuck maybe with apparently different settings between the HU_CIC from the Cheat-Sheet V3 and the HU_NBT in my car.

- Turn Signals
according to the cheat-sheet the function "HUD_TURNSIGNAL" should be in HU_CIC/3000 HMI.
in HU_NBT it is in 3001 EXBOX, and I activated it there.
then there is a function in KOMBI/3003, HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE which I turned activ also
and of course in KOMBI/3000 BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE I activated as well.

But there is no checkbox in the HUD-Settings where I could select it and it is of course not working.

- Entertainment/Telephone
in HU_NBT/3000 HMI I activated the Function HUD_ENTERTAINMENTLIST and also in KOMBI/3003 the function HUD_ENTERTAINMENT_ENABLE (there is nothing similar to that in KOMBI/3000)
In HUD-Settings I have now a checkbox for this function but can not activate it.

- Distance Information
could code it, have a checkbox in HUD-Settings, can activate it but could not test it yet.

Car is I-Level F001-12-07-533, PsdZdata 48.1

Thank you.
A couple things. Make sure for these you are changing only the Dropdown box to aktiv, and not also trying to change the werte values.

You have the new iDrive, so what was in HU_CIC and CMB_MEDIA is in your HU_NBT.

TURNSIGNALS:

Make sure all 3 of these are aktiv:

HU_CIC HUD_TURNSIGNAL
KOMBI BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE
KOMBI HUD_PIA_BLINKER

This should be all that is needed.

You don't have the last one listed, and you state you have both HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE and BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE in different parts of your KOMBI, which does not seem right.

For 2013, you will not have the Turnd Indicator Checkobox on your iDrive HUD Options, but it should not matter.

ENTERTAINMENT LIST:

If you coded both of these aktiv:

HU_NBT HUD_ENTERTAINMENTLIST
KOMBI HUD_ENTERTAINMENT_ENABLE

You should be getting the Media Display in the HUD. Are you checking it from the iDrive or are you using the steering wheel thumb wheel?

DISTANCE:

For Distance, I assume you are referring to HUD_DISTANCE_INFO = aktiv. Do you have options 5DF or 541?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Thank you very much

I always only make changes in the dropbox and used the "Werte" only for VIM and the enabling/disabling values for the side-view cameras.

As you said, I didn't know about the HUD_PIA_BLINKER and will set it accordingly.
btw. what stands "PIA" for ?
In KOMBI there is a long list of PIA-units (KOMBI 3008 PIA EINHEITEN) where most of them are set to active (according to the features I have).

As for the multiple/different occurence of functions in KOMBI:
KOMBI / 3000 / BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE and
KOMBI / 3003 / HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE
for good measure I have set both to aktiv.

Entertainment List:
I have both parameters coded and in the i-drive Settings/ HUD there is a checkbox for entertainment which I can scroll to but not check.

And yes, I have 5DF (ACC) for the Distance Info.

So for today I will amend my HUD-Blinker settings and try to check out what will happen, when using the scrolling function in the steering wheel, as well as what "distance information" will do.

Thank you very much again Shawn
and a very happy and prosperous new year !!!!

Razorback
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much

I always only make changes in the dropbox and used the "Werte" only for VIM and the enabling/disabling values for the side-view cameras.

As you said, I didn't know about the HUD_PIA_BLINKER and will set it accordingly.
btw. what stands "PIA" for ?
In KOMBI there is a long list of PIA-units (KOMBI 3008 PIA EINHEITEN) where most of them are set to active (according to the features I have).

As for the multiple/different occurence of functions in KOMBI:
KOMBI / 3000 / BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE and
KOMBI / 3003 / HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE
for good measure I have set both to aktiv.

Entertainment List:
I have both parameters coded and in the i-drive Settings/ HUD there is a checkbox for entertainment which I can scroll to but not check.

And yes, I have 5DF (ACC) for the Distance Info.

So for today I will amend my HUD-Blinker settings and try to check out what will happen, when using the scrolling function in the steering wheel, as well as what "distance information" will do.

Thank you very much again Shawn
and a very happy and prosperous new year !!!!

Razorback
I am not sure what PIA actually stands for. PIA was thought to be those things associated with Profile Settings, but it seems it may be more than that.

What is the name of your KOMBI CAFD file?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 PM

my KOMBI file is - as read out by eSys

CAFD_00001060_003_000_025.ncd

And here an Update:
Turnsignal in HUD still not working after having activated PIA_HUD_BLINKER
will give it another try by disabling the hitherto undocumented HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE in KOMBI/3003

no change in entertainment, checkbox still not checkable, no reaction to scrolling in steering wheel.

distance information
no such thing visible in HUD, used parameters:
HU-NBT / 3000 HMI / HUD_DISTANCE_INFO (set to aktiv, shows checkbox in HUD-options and can be checked)
KOMBI /3003 / IBRAKE_ABSTANDF_ENABLE set to aktiv
KOMBI / 3008 / HUD_PIA_IBRAKE_INFO set to aktiv
apparently requires more research....

Razorback

Last edited by razorback; 01-01-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
my KOMBI file is - as read out by eSys

CAFD_00001060_003_000_025.ncd

And here an Update:
Turnsignal in HUD still not working after having activated PIA_HUD_BLINKER
will give it another try by disabling the hitherto undocumented HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE in KOMBI/3003

no change in entertainment, checkbox still not checkable, no reaction to scrolling in steering wheel.

distance information
no such thing visible in HUD, used parameters:
HU-NBT / 3000 HMI / HUD_DISTANCE_INFO (set to aktiv, shows checkbox in HUD-options and can be checked)
KOMBI /3003 / IBRAKE_ABSTANDF_ENABLE set to aktiv
KOMBI / 3008 / HUD_PIA_IBRAKE_INFO set to aktiv
apparently requires more research....

Razorback
I am not sure about the Distance Info, but the rest should work, no problem.

I would resent my HU_NBT and KOMBI, then recode them just as explained and nothing more, and see if they work.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 AM

when looking at what I've done so far it seems like KOMBI may be the culprit because any changes done to other modules - not requiring changes to KOMBI - worked perfectly.
I did my Daytime Running Lightrs (FRM), SideView Threshold (TRSVC), VIM, Sports-Display and Eff_Dyn_Sailing (HU_NBT), all successfully.

Only all the funcrtions for additional HUD information - which require changing things in KOMBI also - have failed so far.

Maybe it's got something to do with the 6WB- MultiFunctionalDisplay ?
Or let's put it the other way around:
Is somebody out there who did these things successfully with 6WB installed ?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
when looking at what I've done so far it seems like KOMBI may be the culprit because any changes done to other modules - not requiring changes to KOMBI - worked perfectly.
I did my Daytime Running Lightrs (FRM), SideView Threshold (TRSVC), VIM, Sports-Display and Eff_Dyn_Sailing (HU_NBT), all successfully.

Only all the funcrtions for additional HUD information - which require changing things in KOMBI also - have failed so far.

Maybe it's got something to do with the 6WB- MultiFunctionalDisplay ?
Or let's put it the other way around:
Is somebody out there who did these things successfully with 6WB installed ?
6WB is not available in the U.S., and you are only the second person I know of the forum with the new MFID cluster.

I checked the Basic KOMBI and the 6WA KOMBI CAFD's, and neither has HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE like the 6WB CAFD does.

I think 6WB blinkers can be made to work, but it is somewhat like picking a 4 dial lock, and trying to find the right combination for these 4 parameters.

KOMBI:
BLINKER_HUD_ENABLE
HUD_BLINKER_ENABLE
HUD_PIA_BLINKER

HU_NBT:
HUD_TURNSIGNAL

Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: range rover
Hmm..I am going to retrofit the 6WB in a few weeks. But if I cant get entertainment and phone on the HUD then I might not do it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM

I'm afraid that there is some extensive reading and trial&error ahead with getting 6WB to work with these functions.

maybe the solution is in one of the other CAFDs (I've got a total of 37 active CAFDs in eSys for my car) but since I don't know which one it is it will take some time trying to find out - quite a lot to read......

@djsaad1
If you are going to retrofit - is there any additional module/function you will have to install in order to make it work at all ?
if so this maybe the first hint where to look.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid that there is some extensive reading and trial&error ahead with getting 6WB to work with these functions.

maybe the solution is in one of the other CAFDs (I've got a total of 37 active CAFDs in eSys for my car) but since I don't know which one it is it will take some time trying to find out - quite a lot to read......

@djsaad1
If you are going to retrofit - is there any additional module/function you will have to install in order to make it work at all ?
if so this maybe the first hint where to look.
The only modules will be KOMBI primarily, and then HU_NBT. There won't be anything in any other module to affect these.

The 6WB retrofit is just the Instrument Cluster itself, and it is Plug-N-Play.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 AM

For the moment I stopped my research because I have seen from the latest Spreadsheet with the Integration Levels that for my F07 a newer one is available than currently installed.

I will give it a try to get an upgrade from my Dealer (after the 6th, currently everybody seems to be on chrismas holidays) and then look again into these issues.

currently installed is F001-12-07-533
available is F001-12-11-501 (according to the spreadsheet ISTA/P P.2.48.0)

Razorback
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
For the moment I stopped my research because I have seen from the latest Spreadsheet with the Integration Levels that for my F07 a newer one is available than currently installed.

I will give it a try to get an upgrade from my Dealer (after the 6th, currently everybody seems to be on chrismas holidays) and then look again into these issues.

currently installed is F001-12-07-533
available is F001-12-11-501 (according to the spreadsheet ISTA/P P.2.48.0)

Razorback
503 is the latest Integration Level for F1 Chassis:

ISTA/P 2.47.5 F001-12-07-533
ISTA/P 2.47.6 F001-12-07-533
ISTA/P 2.47.7 F001-12-07-533
ISTA/P 2.48.0 F001-12-11-501
ISTA/P 2.48.1 F001-12-11-502
ISTA/P 2.48.2 F001-12-11-503

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM

thank you Shawn for that valuable information - and at that: is PSdZdata 48.2 already out somewhere ?

and - by the way - what are you doing here at this time of the day ??
Since there are 7 hours time-difference between Vienna and Houston, so if you are at home it must be 05:30 AM at your place (and I'm not used to Americans up and running that early.... :-)))
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
thank you Shawn for that valuable information - and at that: is PSdZdata 48.2 already out somewhere ?

and - by the way - what are you doing here at this time of the day ??
Since there are 7 hours time-difference between Vienna and Houston, so if you are at home it must be 05:30 AM at your place (and I'm not used to Americans up and running that early.... :-)))
I was heading out to my office..I don't sleep much...10 years of active duty military cured me of that.

48.2 PSdZData is not out yet, at least I don't have it anyway...hopefully soon though I will.

I am not sure how valuable it is. The Dealers only have one version, usually the latest if they are current on their updates. So, it is not like you have a choice of versions when they program your car. And that begs the question, since vehicle software updates are not included as warranty work unless the car has a service problem that necessitates it, so how will you compel your dealer to program your car with 2.48.2?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM

This is really starting to worry me, entertainment list and phone list on hud are more important to me than the digital dials. No one else with the 6wb has tried coding? I am not sure what to do with my order now.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
This is really starting to worry me, entertainment list and phone list on hud are more important to me than the digital dials. No one else with the 6wb has tried coding? I am not sure what to do with my order now.
You would really cancel your order just because the Entertainment List and Phone functions can't be made to work in your HUD?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You would really cancel your order just because the Entertainment List and Phone functions can't be made to work in your HUD?
I actually would. I use the entertainment list every single time I am in the car to switch songs or stations. I would rather not have to look down or at the idrive if I don't need to. I coded the hud things the day I got the car.

I am not positive I would cancel my order but I am leaning towards it, I don't gain any functions with the 6wb its just better looking. I am fine with paying for looks, but not sure I am fine for paying for looks and losing functions.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM

I would not take this (my) issue to seriously for F1x users.

My existing environment is an F07 (based on F01 data) with new iDrive (HU_NBT) and MFID (6WB)

This apparently is not at all common in the US.

And therefore does NOT mean - only because it does not (yet) work in my special combination - that it won't work in yours.

Razorback
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I would not take this (my) issue to seriously for F1x users.

My existing environment is an F07 (based on F01 data) with new iDrive (HU_NBT) and MFID (6WB)

This apparently is not at all common in the US.

And therefore does NOT mean - only because it does not (yet) work in my special combination - that it won't work in yours.

Razorback
Quick question, you do get the entertainment list and phone list on the cluster right?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM

no, I don't !

the apparent problem - in my special case - apparently is:

The new Navi/iDrive for the F07 as well as the 6WB were introduced for MY 2013
Scheduled start of production availability was October 2012
Mine was built October 30th 2012 but the implemented Software (iLevel) was 2012-07

So we easily can assume that the missing functionality in my car can be blamed to the installed i-Level.

I am just talking to my Dealer in order to get at least an i_Level 2012-11 and if possible the most recent.
Will know not before tuesday.

So, keep a stiff upper lip and give it a try anyway :-))
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
no, I don't !

the apparent problem - in my special case - apparently is:

The new Navi/iDrive for the F07 as well as the 6WB were introduced for MY 2013
Scheduled start of production availability was October 2012
Mine was built October 30th 2012 but the implemented Software (iLevel) was 2012-07

So we easily can assume that the missing functionality in my car can be blamed to the installed i-Level.

I am just talking to my Dealer in order to get at least an i_Level 2012-11 and if possible the most recent.
Will know not before tuesday.

So, keep a stiff upper lip and give it a try anyway :-))
Ok that makes sense now. If you don't have it in your cluster there is no way you can have it in your HUD. I have seen 6wb pictures with the lists in the cluster so yes your situation does seem special.

Thank you for clarifying, that gives me more confidence that it should work now.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

I apologize

being so fixated on my HUD problem I just did not read your post REALLY.....

So the proper answer is:
YES, i get the entertainment list (if you mean working the wheel and getting the list of tracks) in the cluster.
and YES i get telephone information and the phone list (but not really everything I should e.g. recent calls are only those I started from the car - those initiated from the phone are not there but missed calls are there though so I can answer them).
--> EDIT:
--> I tested this again today and was unfortunately all wrong with the he above information for the PHONE.
--> This relates to the ControlDisplay only !!
--> in the Cluster there only pops up an incoming call (with the name from the addressbook) and the option to terminate the call.
--> Everything else, like searching the address book, missed calls, redial lists and initiating a call ONLY WORK VIA i-DRIVE (and the latter via Voice Dial as well).
--> And in my case it's an Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) and NOT an iPhone - maybe this does behave differently.
--> I apologize for the inconvenience !!!

But to be honest - I normally don't start phone calls from the car - just answering or checking back on missed calls.

But the HUD-Integration does not work at all.

Anyway - as I mentioned before - there is something amiss with the installed features and the i_Level which I am looking forward to have sorted out by end of next week.

Last edited by razorback; 01-05-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Razorback, did the software update do anything?

Also do your gears show up when you are in manual mode?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Hi djsaad1

I did not code anything HUD related since software-update (48.2).

And what do you mean by "gears show up in manual mode" ?