Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
It's frustrating that we don't seem to have a good set of pictures for the connections from the fuel filler neck purported drain holes ... to the reputed connection at the charcoal canister ... to the connection with the purge valve ... and then on to the intake manifold near the throttle body.

Here, today, the topic of the drain holes came up again:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Gas leak when filling tank

Which, led to the specific thread on that topic:
- When I spill gasoline and it flows into holes at 3 & 9 o'clock ... where does it go?

Which contains many disjoint diagrams, few pictures, and even less of a description of how the system is tied together and where.

To further embarrass myself, here is what I 'think' the system is connected to on my 2002 M54:

a) The two holes in the passenger-side rear fuel filler opening ...
b) Are reputed to drain to the charcoal canister hidden in the driver side rear wheel well ...
c) Which then goes along the underside of the driver side of the vehicle ...
d) Past the fuel filter & fuel pressure regulator in a panel outside the car directly under the driver seat ...
e) To the purge valve located under the front of the intake manifold ...
f) And finally, into the intake manifold at a vacuum source very near the throttle body (under the throttle body?)

Are these proposed endpoints accurate?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528i 1998
I reset my check enginge light with the tool

I have the 1998 528i - 4/98 mfg date. I used the tool to pull the code, and yes
the code was indicative of the fuel tank cap being off - gross vac leak or something.
I reset the code with the tool.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 PM

I was researching an answer for this thread today ...
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > 2001 530i question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneman1027 View Post
I got my 01 530i back in June and i still cant pass the emissions test ... it needs to complete the drive cycle. that was over 3000 miles ago.
... When I realized we should probably consolidate the powerful information in the following three threads:
  1. E39 (1997 - 2003) > When are E39 OBDII diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) & pending codes auto cleared?
  2. E39 (1997 - 2003) > Loose gas cap has triggered Service Engine light
  3. E39 (1997 - 2003) > Missing Gas cap and check engine light
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
new member, just joined after all the helpful comments i read on this forum and spending 8 days for my light to go away after the attendant left my gas cap loose.

engine light came on, just a few second after a brief flash of a "loose gas cap" indicator light (had to google it to find it, looks like the bumper of the car with a giant flashlight pointed at it). the loose gas cap light went away after this flash, the CEL never went away.
tried a few "drive cycles" - even using the FTP as a guide to reset the stupid thing - no luck.

BMW dealership wanted to charge half an hour of service (ie. $100) to read the code and clear the light but also told me that the light should generally go away after a while depending on personal driving style etc. Finally got frustrated (and too obsessive to drive around with a CEL on) so took it to independent shop who read the code and cleared it for $50. In canada we don't have AutoZone or other places who read for free.

Probably should get a a card reader but have decided to stick to my day job and let someone who know what they're doing deal with my car issues, seems like I've found a great independent mechanic in town who will do just that.

so there you have it, might have gone off by itself but at least i have peace of mind now.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Welcome to the cruel reality of BMW maintenance, which fortunately is usually outweighed by pleasure of BMW driving. Good luck with your new car. It looks like you got 3-series. Is that right? If so, you may want to post on the appropriate 3-series board, where you'll probably find more pertinent help than here on the E39 board.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
Saw this thread andI thought I'd give some input.

I had the same recurring code that was caused by a poor seal. I inspected my purge solenoid and associated hoses... the fix was to lube the gas cap seals with silicone grease.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
viking28

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
I bought a 2001 540i, sport package this week with 92000 miles. The cel is on.

When I tighten the gas cap, i go clockwise to one click. When I release the cap, it turns back counter clockwise and clicks again...normal? I had the cel diagnosed and cleared at a local autozone. I was told it was a potential gas cap issue, but didn't get the code. She did mention something about the vacuum. I was told that intake manifold gaskets were replaced before I bought it.

The only other thing I have done is lube the gasket with silicone.

When I compare the fuel tank neck to my 1999 528, they are different. I even tried the other gas cap, wouldn't fit. I seem to remember this being an issue when I first bought the 99, and may have had a whole new neck and cap replaced.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM

For the record, this thread came in handy for this one below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW17 View Post
so here is my dilemma

I filled up my gas tank and forgot to put the gas ca back on. I drove 50 miles before the light came on and I realized what I did. I put the cap back on and since have gone 2500 or so miles and the light did not shut off.

So I went to AutotZone to try and gather more info, the guy said he could not test anything because there is a blown fuse. I'm not sure what fuse to check or what Ill need to do next to get the light to shut off.

I'm assuming the gas cap being left off in the first place is the problem, but anyone have any ideas?

thanks

2001 BMW 325i 134,000 mi
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM

For the record, this P0455 thread today needs to read what we have here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdarrington View Post
It is pulling a PO455 code. I noticed the light went on after I cleaned the motor and undercarriage so I wonder if I hose or a wire came loose.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 AM

For the record, this thread has an unusual problem with the fit of the gas cap that others might want to be aware of when purchasing a new gas cap:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > fuel door actuator alarm falsing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	395869  
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 PM

For the record, this thread today is in search of the o-ring dimensions for the gas cap:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Gas filler cap o-ring part number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans747 View Post
Hi everyone!
The o-ring on my filler cap is cracking and letting out vapors. Where can I find a replacement for the o-ring? The dealer doesn't sell them, and my local chain auto parts place doesn't offer anything in a simialr size.
See also:
- How to replace the gas cap tether (1) & a reputed fuel filler leak into the trunk (1) & the P0455 diagnostic trouble code when the gas cap is missing (1)
Old 06-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat84 View Post
My gas cap would not stay in the normal locked position when the cap was tight and when you normally turn beyond tight it will make a ratcheting click sound. When my cap failed it would not stay locked in the tight position and literally reverse itself a bit not keeping the lock or seal.

For my gas cap replacement the two codes generated by the check engine light were:
143 Tank Leak Detect. Major Leak
00250 undetermined code

new gas cap from BMW dealer $32.62 CDN

Pulled into our regular more than friendly Toyota dealer who scanned my BMW for free then within a minute diagnosed the leak problem described above for free. Amazing how great service can attract customers for life.
Did the new gas cap solve the problem? I'm having the same issues. Also, I have a 3 series as opposed to a 5 series. Any differences as far as gas cap's go?

Last edited by Jayton Hawkins; 06-24-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 PM

This related thread was opened on the E46 side today ...
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > E46 325Ci EVAP Emission Code
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPleaser View Post
How can I be sure the fault code has been cleared and my car is ready to pass the state inspection test (it is overdue).

Background: I got the dreaded P0444, replaced the purge valve (gas cap was already replaced) and reset the CPU to clear the check engine light. The problem is that even though the check engine light is off, I am not sure if it is "ready" to pass the test. I did the test about a week ago and failed because a couple of sensors weren't ready. I have heard it takes a few "cold starts" and what not.

So without paying the inspection fee, how can I be sure all sensors are "ready"? Obviously, an off check engine light does not necessarily mean it is ready.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 AM

A similar thread was opened today.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > check filler cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfinest View Post
I i just got a 03 530i, I got a check filler cap message . Then about 2 days later a engine code p0441, and everytime i put gas it, the car stutterings for about couple seconds then it runs normal. Im gonna change the gas cap and hopefully this fix the problem.