Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: M5
Intermittent starting problems

I drive a 2000 M5 and intermittently my car will not start. Sometimes it takes 3-4x or sometimes more to start it. It will work fine for weeks at a time but then fail to start. Ultimately each time it does start after 3-4x or sometimes more. Three times in the last two months the engine has stopped running while I have been driving at 30 miles per hour, and most recently at 60 miles per hour. When it stops while I am driving I have to stop and restart it. It will take 3-4 tries before it starts up again. I replaced the starter and that has not helped.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley2825 View Post
I drive a 2000 M5 and intermittently my car will not start. Sometimes it takes 3-4x or sometimes more to start it. It will work fine for weeks at a time but then fail to start. Ultimately each time it does start after 3-4x or sometimes more. Three times in the last two months the engine has stopped running while I have been driving at 30 miles per hour, and most recently at 60 miles per hour. When it stops while I am driving I have to stop and restart it. It will take 3-4 tries before it starts up again. I replaced the starter and that has not helped.

Any ideas?

Any check engine light (CEL)???

Any codes when you plug a code reader into the OBD port?

Please check to see that the cel light works...turn the key on, but dont start...make sure the cel illuminates.

M5board dot com

A
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM

The check engine light is not illuminated. The check engine light does work. I need to check with my mechanic to see what codes he finds. The engine has stopped running twice in the last two days while I was under way. Frustrating. I did replace the fuel pump about a year ago.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

1. Fuel filter

2. Fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator.

I'd just replace the filter, as a matter of normal maintenance. The pump/regulator is a bit more diagnostic work, need to hook up and monitor pressures.

A
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks. We replaced the fuel filter when we replaced the fuel pump several months ago. My mechanic said he did hook up and monitor pressures but apparently must be some other problem. My mechanic is very experienced but because the problem is intermittent it makes it tough to diagnose.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. We replaced the fuel filter when we replaced the fuel pump several months ago. My mechanic said he did hook up and monitor pressures but apparently must be some other problem. My mechanic is very experienced but because the problem is intermittent it makes it tough to diagnose.
So was this problem present both before and after the fuel filter/pump replacement?

What does the car do when it stalls? Hesitate, then stall THEN warning lights? Or lights concurrent with the stall?

As I recall there may be a grounding connection from chassis to engine...Florida corrosion, you may want to check that.

A

Last edited by ard; 01-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Yes the problem was present both before and after the fuel filter and pump were replaced. The next time it stalls I will confirm the sequence of events but I think it is hesitation, then stall and then warning lights. I'll check grounding connection. It was parked near Gulf of Mexico for extended periods of time without much use. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes the problem was present both before and after the fuel filter and pump were replaced. The next time it stalls I will confirm the sequence of events but I think it is hesitation, then stall and then warning lights. I'll check grounding connection. It was parked near Gulf of Mexico for extended periods of time without much use. Thanks for the feedback.
As I mentioned in my first reply, the best M5 forum in the WORLD is m5board dot com.

A
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks. I have checked the m5board and saw several threads that gave me some ideas to check.