Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325Ci
E46 Coupe window not closing properly

Recently my driver's side window (frameless on the coupe) will often not close properly. It goes high enough, but at the wrong angle, leaving a small gap, with the top of the window hitting the trim strip instead of tucking in behind it tightly to the seal.

It's ok if I shut the door and push the window in at the same time, it's often ok when driving at low speed, but will almost never close properly at higher speeds, due to wind I guess.

There appears to be a little play at the top when rocking the window in and out. Obviously this wouldn't happen if the window had a frame / guide, as in the saloon / sedan.

Anyone have experience of this problem, or can offer any advice on what part may need tightening or replacing to cure it, before I take the door panel off and look around ?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Be My Wife.

Send a message via MSN to sunstorm
Mein Auto: BMW, only BMW.
try to close rear window 1st, then close the front window. otherwse, you may need see garage.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325Ci
had something similar, my window would close all the way to the top when i close it with the door opened and when i close the door it would stick out. solution was to close the window while the door is still closed...no idea why this is happening...sorry couldnt help u here buddy
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
I had the same issue. Not so much that I could see, but it leaked like a seive through a car wash, and was quite noisy at highway speed. Its the door. Go to the ealer, and they'll tweak the hinges to help fitment.

Hope this helps, let us know.

OB
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
I had the same issue. Not so much that I could see, but it leaked like a seive through a car wash, and was quite noisy at highway speed. Its the door. Go to the ealer, and they'll tweak the hinges to help fitment.

Hope this helps, let us know.

OB
Door alignment, there's something I'll think about. Will check the obvious things like loose mounting screws inside door 1st though I think.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
Door alignment, there's something I'll think about. Will check the obvious things like loose mounting screws inside door 1st though I think.
True. My car was delivered new like that, so yours may be the result of wear and tear... but still.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Found the reason why:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...97&postcount=8
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 AM
John

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
I'm having the same problem with mine...... It is annoying...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318ci Coupe
Just beware. I was driving home one night from work, noticed my door window hadn't closed properly at the top corner, I pulled over, got out and gave it a very light wiggle and the whole thing shattered and came off in my hand. I had to wait 3 days for Autoglass to order and fit a new one costing my glass excess of 75. Best to lower the window a little, open the door, put the window back up and close the door again.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by toakenspy View Post
Just beware. I was driving home one night from work, noticed my door window hadn't closed properly at the top corner, I pulled over, got out and gave it a very light wiggle and the whole thing shattered and came off in my hand. I had to wait 3 days for Autoglass to order and fit a new one costing my glass excess of 75. Best to lower the window a little, open the door, put the window back up and close the door again.
Aye....still drunk from New Year`s, are ya ???

(You`re responding to a thread *from five years ago*)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318ci Coupe
If only that were the reason, lol.