Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWF View Post
You right about short trips, she drives 3 miles to work. And shopping on weekends
Is this CCV only crankcase venting?
91k miles total on this car.
Yes. CCV is BMWs lovely design for crankcase ventilation system. At your mileage, a lot of work is required to be done, as detailed in the wiki. You are very close to plug replacement interval, overdue on cooling system overhaul, and due for a new CCV due to the low miles traveled each day. Whether you or someone else does the work, MAKE SURE that they remove and clean the dipstick tube. It is a double walled design that is prone to clogging, and all the CCV work will be for naught if you dont clean the dipstick. There is a revised design available, but probably not worth the cost at around $100. Cleaning the old one is free of course, but must be done thoroughly. You also probably need to change all pulleys, the belts and the belt tensioner while you do the cooling system overhaul. All in all, quite a bit of work, but you should go another 91k if you do it all, and can't replace the car for what it will cost to do the work. Plenty of DIY links in the Wiki, and videos on youtube if you want to tackle it yourself. Probably $1500 or so if you pay.Remember: Happy Wife, happy life! Good luck!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Place called German Automotive, he worked on my MB's and this BMW.
Thanks. I'll check them out! Hope your car is back on the road soon without breaking he bank.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325xi
I am happy she does not like/want to drive my car .
I have no place to work, outside only and it is cold to do bigger projects. In summer no problem, I changed brakes this summer and axle (torn boot). I need another garage for work
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Thanks. I'll check them out! Hope your car is back on the road soon without breaking he bank.
He is good guy, always did good for me. Nice and clean shop, very professional. If you go there tell him Zoran sent you. If I can't work on car myself he is only one that will touch it.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Yes, CVV is only crankcase venting.
Can see youtube vid on how to replace from bavauto.com

Easy enough but not for rank amateur.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Update, reason car stopped running was fuel pump. After knocking on it it started working again and car started but fuel pump needs to be replaced. CCV is clogged and will be replaced also. Valve cover gasket is leaking but it did not start leaking now, it leaked before and just got worst now. Still to figure out why engine would not turn. Turning it back and forth by hand unlocked engine and there is no noise, it actually runs as good as ever. Except from smoke due to clogged CCV.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Update, reason car stopped running was fuel pump. After knocking on it it started working again and car started but fuel pump needs to be replaced. CCV is clogged and will be replaced also. Valve cover gasket is leaking but it did not start leaking now, it leaked before and just got worst now. Still to figure out why engine would not turn. Turning it back and forth by hand unlocked engine and there is no noise, it actually runs as good as ever. Except from smoke due to clogged CCV.
Thanks for posting back! Updated info always helps others. Good luck!, and don't forget to replace those plugs when you do the VCG and the CCV.

Last edited by SJBimmer; 01-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM

I will let you know. Engine locking mechanically still bothers me and is mystery for now. Yes, we will replace everything and do whole 100k service.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
I will let you know. Engine locking mechanically still bothers me and is mystery for now. Yes, we will replace everything and do whole 100k service.
I still believe your engine hydro locked with oil. Quite common up in Canada when the CCV fails due to excessive condensation in the extreme cold. By manually turning the engine over, you probably pushed the oil out the exhaust valves into the exhaust manifold, and that is why the car now smokes excessively. This is only my hypothesis, because obviously I have not personally looked at the car. Replace everything ASAP. You don't want to push your luck. Best Wishes!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM

For engine to hydro lock oil has to get on top of piston, in to combustion chamber. How can oil get there?