Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540iA
locked keys in trunk

So I'm on vacation in south carolina, and I've locked my key in the trunk. I've read plenty of threads, and I would be comfortable drilling a hole in the trunk, but I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to drill. It seems like everyone has heard of the concept but I haven't seen it done on an e39. I've seen the video of where it was done on an e38, but from what i can gather from realoem the locks arent quite the same. So can anyone tell me exactly where to drill? When I took off the license there was already a hole drilled dead in the center, but I havent been able to find the cable I'm supposed to be hooking, so I'm thinking it way be in the wrong place. Please help me, thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaze540 View Post
can anyone tell me exactly where to drill? .
I typed /unlock F3 in the bestlinks, and it came up with this, which might help you:
- How to open the hood (1) or trunk manually when you have a dead 12v car battery (1) (2) (3) & how to unlock the older E39 if the key is locked inside the trunk (1) (2)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Sorry you're going through this...but this is just another reminder to NOT keep your trunk lock cylinder in the VALET mode ( -- )...and when you only have one key (available)...to ALWAYS leave the trunk lock cylinder in the vertical position ( | ) as well as ALWAYS unlocking the door when going to the trunk. That way, if you do accidentally slam the trunk closed with the key inside, you can ALWAYS gain entry to the trunk to retrieve the key. The central locking system is always UNLOCKED following this procedure until you physically relock the car with the key when you're done.

Just when you think it won't happen to you...it will.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 AM
I glow in the dark

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Man.. I remeber this happening to me.. when I was local... I locked the doors and like an idiot I went to the trunk to get something .. while looking for that something.. I layed the key in the trunk... after I got what I needed.. you guessed it.> I slammed the trunk shut and I was like.> OH FUK!!!. ... luckily my sister lives close by.. called her to get my spare keys at home.. and drove over and pop goes the weeesel lol...

anyways... you got some options I guess.. Bust the window ? call a lock smith ? or if you have spare keys.. have them send it to you.. depends how desperate you need the car.. but... there is no way you are getting that key out without doing something you dont want...

GOOD LUCK and let us know what you did to get out of this jamm
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Go to local dealer and order a key for $45, it will take proof of ownership and 2-3 days.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I typed /unlock F3 in the bestlinks, and it came up with this, which might help you:
- How to open the hood (1) or trunk manually when you have a dead 12v car battery (1) (2) (3) & how to unlock the older E39 if the key is locked inside the trunk (1) (2)
I've read all of these, and maybe I'm missing something, but none of them say WHERE to drill. There are plenty of people saying it can be done, but none say where to do it, specifically on an e39. Also, if I wasn't clear, my keys are in the trunk, all the doors are locked, the hood is latched, and the battery works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Sorry you're going through this...but this is just another reminder to NOT keep your trunk lock cylinder in the VALET mode ( -- )...and when you only have one key (available)...to ALWAYS leave the trunk lock cylinder in the vertical position ( | ) as well as ALWAYS unlocking the door when going to the trunk. That way, if you do accidentally slam the trunk closed with the key inside, you can ALWAYS gain entry to the trunk to retrieve the key. The central locking system is always UNLOCKED following this procedure until you physically relock the car with the key when you're done.

Funny because my trunk lock is actually in the vertical position. It doesn't really matter at this point. The handle/button that you would use to open the trunk if it was unlocked doesn't work, so the only way to open the trunk is from the remote or the button inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyy View Post
Man.. I remeber this happening to me.. when I was local... I locked the doors and like an idiot I went to the trunk to get something .. while looking for that something.. I layed the key in the trunk... after I got what I needed.. you guessed it.> I slammed the trunk shut and I was like.> OH FUK!!!. ... luckily my sister lives close by.. called her to get my spare keys at home.. and drove over and pop goes the weeesel lol...

anyways... you got some options I guess.. Bust the window ? call a lock smith ? or if you have spare keys.. have them send it to you.. depends how desperate you need the car.. but... there is no way you are getting that key out without doing something you dont want...

GOOD LUCK and let us know what you did to get out of this jamm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Go to local dealer and order a key for $45, it will take proof of ownership and 2-3 days.
So far I've called every locksmith in they area, and explained the situation, to which they all say they can't help. I'm aware of the key option, but I have to be home by the 8th, so the keys wouldn't get here in time, not to mention that my proof of ownership is in the glove box.

Guys please, save the lectures and other suggestions. All I really care about at this point is where do I drill? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540iT M Sport
Dude, did you bother to read what bluebee posted???

I copy and pasted this for you....

hi ......ok do you have 2 holes behind your licence plate to where you attach your licence plate via screws.....if so then from the right one in a dead straight line approx 7 cm away going to the right drill a hole approx 0.5cm in diameter once your through the metal plate behind the bodywork insert a small piece of wire but something quite rigid and just try to locate the rod that connects from the boot (trunk) lock in which you insert your key to where the
actuall lock is between the boot (trunk) and the body of the car, once you move that, it will pop the soleniod open.....the reason for the sticky pad is that here in the uk we dont use the screws to hold the licence plate as it spoils the look instead we use very strong adhesive pads so what i maent was after you finished you would just apply one of these over the hole and it we never even be seen again....hope this helps....
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studawg View Post
Dude, did you bother to read what bluebee posted???

I copy and pasted this for you....

hi ......ok do you have 2 holes behind your licence plate to where you attach your licence plate via screws.....if so then from the right one in a dead straight line approx 7 cm away going to the right drill a hole approx 0.5cm in diameter once your through the metal plate behind the bodywork insert a small piece of wire but something quite rigid and just try to locate the rod that connects from the boot (trunk) lock in which you insert your key to where the
actuall lock is between the boot (trunk) and the body of the car, once you move that, it will pop the soleniod open.....the reason for the sticky pad is that here in the uk we dont use the screws to hold the licence plate as it spoils the look instead we use very strong adhesive pads so what i maent was after you finished you would just apply one of these over the hole and it we never even be seen again....hope this helps....
dude, i read that thread several times before i even posted. that paragraph is nonsensical and was of no help in determining where to drill.

No worries, I figured it out no thanks to yall.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Here is the tool you need, they can be found at all good building supply stores:

I guess you could also go in via the rear tail light and try to retrieve the key?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM
DINAN 5

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post

wait what? you have a trunk lock cylinder? I wonder if I have one.... if so, ive never even noticed it! (my remote has a trunk open button on it, and theres another button by the license plate lights that opens the trunk if you dont have the key handy, and theres ANOTHER button for the trunk inside the car!