Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 550i sport
Suspension feels awful!

Since the temps in NYC has dipped below the 40 degree mark, my car has felt awful.
Every small bump in the road can be felt. It feels like there is no compliance in the suspension. On smooth roads it's fine other than being a bit squirmy on hard corning, but on less than stellar pavements, I feel like I'm driving a box truck.

I assume the change in ride comfort is due the colder weather affecting my General G-MAX AS-03 tires. These all seasons were pretty comfortable prior to it getting really cold.

Is it worth getting my suspension checked or is it truly a tire issue?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space grau 550i View Post
Since the temps in NYC has dipped below the 40 degree mark, my car has felt awful.
Every small bump in the road can be felt. It feels like there is no compliance in the suspension. On smooth roads it's fine other than being a bit squirmy on hard corning, but on less than stellar pavements, I feel like I'm driving a box truck.

I assume the change in ride comfort is due the colder weather affecting my General G-MAX AS-03 tires. These all seasons were pretty comfortable prior to it getting really cold.

Is it worth getting my suspension checked or is it truly a tire issue?
That's how I feel about my 06 530i. I'm new to BMW, and the car has 100K+ miles so I was thinking maybe suspension parts are worn. I just got new tires two months ago and I felt a noticeable difference, but, the suspension still feels like it hits too hard on anything. New shocks are in order, not sure?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix Sport Wagon
I have a 2010 XiT and had the exact same issue - maybe even a bit worse as it would have a loud "thud" when going over large bumps in the cold - such a a speed bump - even crawling 1-3 mph. I did put on the KW Coilovers this fall and thus far have not had the issue. My sense is the stock shocks/ struts simply do not like the cold weather.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Sounds like what you are describing are the sway bushings being a problem. Do a search on the forum. They get worn and in the cold they produce a sort of crunching noise as you go over bumps in cold weather. I've noticed this the last couple of years with my 06. As I understand it this isn't a critical issue and if you can deal with it you don't necessarily need to do anything about it. But I'll let the experts chime in.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space grau 550i View Post
It can be your shocks if you are over 70K miles. But generally sport suspension on E60 is pretty rough - cars with standard suspension are much more compliant.

I have a set of brand new standard OEM struts (shock + spring complete assembly) for E60 if anyone interested.

Last edited by hooch999; 01-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i and a SV1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch999 View Post
It can be your shocks if you are over 70K miles. But generally sport suspension on E60 is pretty rough - cars with standard suspension are much more compliant.

I have a set of brand new standard OEM struts (shock + spring complete assembly) for E60 if anyone interested.
PM sent