Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
Diy info

Hello All,
Does anyone have a DIY for installing a expansion tank and the O ring on the tempature sensor? It would be greatly appreciated because I am still trying to eliminate a coolank leak. I replaced the upper expansion hose( thanks Herbp) because it had a small crack on the plastic portion of the hose. This was done Monday and today i checked the tank and it was low( I topped it off with BMW coolant on Monday) and I noticed a minor stream of coolant leaking from the passenger side wheel well. After searching the forum I discovered that a leaking expansion tank and O ring from temp sensor was a poplar issue with the 645.
Thank you for your time and consideration Bimmerfest. I'll PM a few people also if the forum can't help.

Blake

I have to get this done while the weather is still in the 40's so your prompt attention to my request would be hugely appreciated. Funny thing though guys the car never ran hot/overheated and I drove it for at least 1.5 hours before discovering leak. Is there a overflow hose connected to the tank and I possibly over filled the tank? The tank should stiil be filled at the top even after driving for that long correct? Sorry for all the blah . Someone help !
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
Diy

I would like to thank Herbp and Yorgi for all your help with me installing the expansion tank. It to
ok me about 2 hours but I did it. I took the car for a 1 hour drive and came home to inspect for leaks. After the car cooled down i CHECKED AGAIN AND EVERYTHING IS GOOD. After installing the expansion tank I topped off with BMW coolant and I'm good to go.
Thank you,
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Glad to see all is well!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Good job.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Hey, Found your post Glad to know the expansion tank worked good

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedanatural View Post
Hello All,
Does anyone have a DIY for installing a expansion tank and the O ring on the tempature sensor? It would be greatly appreciated because I am still trying to eliminate a coolank leak. I replaced the upper expansion hose( thanks Herbp) because it had a small crack on the plastic portion of the hose. This was done Monday and today i checked the tank and it was low( I topped it off with BMW coolant on Monday) and I noticed a minor stream of coolant leaking from the passenger side wheel well. After searching the forum I discovered that a leaking expansion tank and O ring from temp sensor was a poplar issue with the 645.
Thank you for your time and consideration Bimmerfest. I'll PM a few people also if the forum can't help.

Blake

I have to get this done while the weather is still in the 40's so your prompt attention to my request would be hugely appreciated. Funny thing though guys the car never ran hot/overheated and I drove it for at least 1.5 hours before discovering leak. Is there a overflow hose connected to the tank and I possibly over filled the tank? The tank should stiil be filled at the top even after driving for that long correct? Sorry for all the blah . Someone help !

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
I just replaced my Expansion Tank last weekend... It only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish and I didn't need any tools whatsoever. The top and bottom portions of the tank split when the car reaches a certain temperature and you could see coolant spewing down the sides of the black tank. All you have to do is remove the 3 hoses and the electronic connector. I only lost a little bit of coolant during this repair, but I did buy a whole gallon from the dealer as well.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter