Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 325e
Angry I hate my life. Heater fan reinstallation @ 0% after 2 hours

OK folks,
I spent about 2 hours in my freezing garage this afternoon attempting to reinstall my heater fan. Previously, I got it out and freed up the bearings for smooth running. However, I now cannot get it back in for the life of me.

I read after taking it out that it's a good idea to make marks on the strap that holds it in and the motor so you can get it back in more easily. This would have saved me some time but I think I still have a problem. (Besides, mine had enough dust on it that I could see the pattern of where the strap was).

Essentially, I can get the motor in and nestled into its little spot, but the strap is just way short of where it needs to be, lby about 1/2". I have the strap hooked into the little metal strap in the back, I've taken that motor out and put it back into its spot about a dozen times (or more) trying to see if I had the wrong orientation, something caught, or what.

I see a notch on the little riveted in metal strip in the back. On my car, it is facing up. I am somewhat suspicious that it may be in backwards, and that the notch is supposed to face down, and the end of my strap fits into it there. This would provide me the extra length it appears I need. Also, flipping that strap would put the notch on the other side, which seems to make sense, since the end of the strap isn't lined up with the notch if I have it positioned as it was originally installed, but it looks like it might line up if flipped. If this is true, though, then how in the world was it ever installed in the first place? Perhaps whatever magic tool they used in Germany was able to strap that sucker down despite the error?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Can anyone who has done this before comment?

Ads by Google