Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Question drivetrain malfunction

2 days before my scheduled appointment to take care of the water pump recall i got the error "drivetrain malfunction". i had just started the car in a grocery store parking lot to go home when it came up. i turned it off, waited a minute then restarted, everything ok.

for the last several months it has been occasionally hard to start, hesitant and jerking with taking off and horribly jerky in sport and sport+ mode. i have constantly voiced my concern with service dept and they say "according to bmw north america its normal".

so now with the drivetrain malfunction they finally listened. they have changed all 8 fuel injectors and it still drives rough. they are now changing the turbo o-rings. will these repairs fix the problem?

its a 2010 750Li with around 35000 miles, dont know exactly, but under the amount alloted for the lease agreement which is 45000. oh and it is a lease and they will be getting it back in january of 2013.
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 650ci
I have a 2010 750Li and have the same problems. It started several months ago. The car was jerky and would only drive around 50 mph when I started it cold. I turned it off/on again and the problem sometimes went away. The drivetrain malfunction light turned on. I took it in and they said it was a battery issue. They gave it back to me and said it was fixed. Since getting it back, the power on the car cuts in and out during normal driving, but it is intermittent. I took it in again today and told them do not give it back to me until it is fixed.

Separately, the car has been driving rough from the beginning. It idles like a diesel truck. They changed the fuel injectors about a year ago. It's still rough.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 AM

been in the shop 2 weeks as of today. they had to order parts from germany and those parts are finally in today. as has been the case, they change some things, the car still doesnt run right, they find something else wrong, and wait for parts. hoping the issues are fixed this week.

could it be something with the 2010 models? my mother in law had a 2008 and now has a 2011. no problems - but then again she's not on the road as much as i am with my lead foot and all hahaha
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 10' 750li, 11' X5 3.5D
Ours is doing this now and my wife is driving to the dealer as we speak. For $95K, this is ridiculous!!

Presently---
'12 650i, Metallic Sapphire Black,
'12 750XLI, Loaded Individual, Metallic dark blue
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'11 X5 3.5d, Metallic Sapphire Black,
'10 750 Li, Metallic Sapphire, Black, Loaded
'07 M6, Silverstone
'07 650i, Mineral Silver Metallic, Cream Beige Leather, Cold Weather pkg,, Sport Pkg, Steptronic, Comfort Access, HUD, Sirius, & L7 Sound
2007 Z4M Coupe Saphire Black Metallic
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM

update for me----still in shop. got it back one day and it drove great. next morning (a saturday) I go to start it and all kinds of lights and malfunction codes come on. it would not start. would crank, sputter and die. i forced it to start by revving the engine until it "caught" and idled fine. drove fine all the way to dealership. they had same problems monday when they tried to start it. finally diagnosed it as engine wiring harness issue. had to get part from germany of course. as of friday feb. 10 the part is in and the tech was going in over the weekend to work on it. if it still does not work i'm having it transported to another dealership and hour away. the local one here in town has a bad reputation and is proving true on that based on my experience.

on a plus note, they are reimbursing me for 2 months of lease payments. of which i wont see until the "ticket is closed" meaning the car fixed. my gut tells me it never will be.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
I had a similar issue where I was getting the engine malfunction warning and they ended up replacing both turbos and two fuel injectors.

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i - 03-14-13
09 750li - 05-23-12
06 750li - 10-21-09
03 745li - 10-18-08
00 540i - 12-14-05
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaboo View Post
update for me----still in shop. got it back one day and it drove great. next morning (a saturday) I go to start it and all kinds of lights and malfunction codes come on. it would not start. would crank, sputter and die. i forced it to start by revving the engine until it "caught" and idled fine. drove fine all the way to dealership. they had same problems monday when they tried to start it. finally diagnosed it as engine wiring harness issue. had to get part from germany of course. as of friday feb. 10 the part is in and the tech was going in over the weekend to work on it. if it still does not work i'm having it transported to another dealership and hour away. the local one here in town has a bad reputation and is proving true on that based on my experience.

on a plus note, they are reimbursing me for 2 months of lease payments. of which i wont see until the "ticket is closed" meaning the car fixed. my gut tells me it never will be.
Here in CA, a car becomes a lemon and the dealer has to buy it back after 4 weeks out of service. Look into it.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 AM

Update for our car... They called late Friday night and said the fuel injectors will all have to be replaced. second time for this and fuel pump has also been replaced which didn't fix the problem either. Our loaner is an old Chevy Malibu! I've had it and proceeding with the Texas lemon law. It ticks me off because I just put brand new rubber all around too because we finally thought we were out of the woods regarding repairs. Don't know what else to do. This car is unreliable and we've lost confidence in it. This will be our 9th BMW and we've never had problems like this.

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
'07 650i, Mineral Silver Metallic, Cream Beige Leather, Cold Weather pkg,, Sport Pkg, Steptronic, Comfort Access, HUD, Sirius, & L7 Sound
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black

Last edited by patrnflyr; 02-18-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM

changing the engine wiring harness did not fix the problem. the tech took it out to drive and it died on him. he had to get towed back. we thought about changing dealerships but decided it might be better for us to leave it in one place, but we did get a different tech to take over.

talked with a lawyer friend last night about lemon law and unfortunately, since its a lease we probably dont have much stroke. we could proceed but it would be a huge hassle. we'd be in a better position to go the lawyer route if we had bought it. at the mercy of bmw north america.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 AM
CABimmerNation

Quote:
changing the engine wiring harness did not fix the problem. the tech took it out to drive and it died on him. he had to get towed back. we thought about changing dealerships but decided it might be better for us to leave it in one place, but we did get a different tech to take over.

talked with a lawyer friend last night about lemon law and unfortunately, since its a lease we probably dont have much stroke. we could proceed but it would be a huge hassle. we'd be in a better position to go the lawyer route if we had bought it. at the mercy of bmw north america.
It makes no difference if its a lease or purchase, law is exactly the same.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM

getting the bad feeling we're going to have to get lawyers involved. really don't want to have to do that. monday they said they were going to put another mechanic on the car, today they say they can't just change mechanics. bull****. oh maybe its because we requested a certain mechanic - someone whom we were told is the only one who know wtf he's doing.

any thoughts on how to get BMWNA to terminate the lease? i have called them a couple times and all they offer to do is contact the dealer where it's being serviced. i've expressed to the dealership, since the beginning of this fiasco back in january, that i'd gladly order another one if they'd terminate this lease. there is a bmw regional representative involved so i'm praying that since this recent inability to fix or properly diagnose the car they will use their brains and terminate the lease. they have already had to spend just under $20K in parts/labor - and the damn thing still doesn't run. i cannot understand their line of thinking.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 AM
CABimmerNation

The lemon law would get you out of the lease. You should really look into it.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
I know a few guys who have made money off the lemon law. They received the value of the car plus what they had already paid including the interest.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i 2006 330ci
Quote:
2 days before my scheduled appointment to take care of the water pump recall i got the error "drivetrain malfunction". i had just started the car in a grocery store parking lot to go home when it came up. i turned it off, waited a minute then restarted, everything ok.

for the last several months it has been occasionally hard to start, hesitant and jerking with taking off and horribly jerky in sport and sport+ mode. i have constantly voiced my concern with service dept and they say "according to bmw north america its normal".

so now with the drivetrain malfunction they finally listened. they have changed all 8 fuel injectors and it still drives rough. they are now changing the turbo o-rings. will these repairs fix the problem?

its a 2010 750Li with around 35000 miles, dont know exactly, but under the amount alloted for the lease agreement which is 45000. oh and it is a lease and they will be getting it back in january of 2013.
My car was in the shop for 5 days (they gave a 5er loaner). Final diagnosis: low pressure fuel sensor found faulty, and replaced. Also replaced, high pressure fuel line, and air vents that broke during removal. I have a feeling the saga is not over. Will keep fellow owners posted.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Well, ours has another injector gone bad. My service manager wanted to replace all the injectors since this is the second time it's happened, but BMW NA said that they'll only cover the one injector replacement. We've lost confidence in the car now and won't take it out of town any more. May have to get my lawyer involved... It's sad that I've paid this much money for a car and we don't even have enough confidence in it to take a trip in it.

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Update:

I am happy to announce that after seeing this forum, BMWoNA has contacted our dealership. They are currently working with them in conjunction with us to find a reasonable solution in this matter. I want to thank them for stepping up to the plate and finally playing ball with us. We have enjoyed driving most all of our other BMWs. it will be nice to put this nightmare behind us and get to enjoy the car as it should be. Thank you again BMW.

John

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
Update:

I am happy to announce that after seeing this forum, BMWoNA has contacted our dealership. They are currently working with them in conjunction with us to find a reasonable solution in this matter. I want to thank them for stepping up to the plate and finally playing ball with us. We have enjoyed driving most all of our other BMWs. it will be nice to put this nightmare behind us and get to enjoy the car as it should be. Thank you again BMW.

John
2012 Ferrari California
Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM

After coming home from a long day in the OR, I started thinking this over and I knew BMW NA would step in and try to rectify this situation. They stand behind their cars like few others. Will have to see what the offer is but I'm sure it'll be reasonable. We'd really just like to stay in a 7 as we can find no viable alternative in that class of vehicle at the present time. We'll see. Will keep all of you updated...

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i 2006 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
After coming home from a long day in the OR, I started thinking this over and I knew BMW NA would step in and try to rectify this situation. They stand behind their cars like few others. Will have to see what the offer is but I'm sure it'll be reasonable. We'd really just like to stay in a 7 as we can find no viable alternative in that class of vehicle at the present time. We'll see. Will keep all of you updated...
I look forward to hearing about how they resolve this. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Quick update: After talking on the phone today to their customer relations liaison lady in corporate, I've got to make a tough decision. She was extremely professional and courteous. They've offered me a trade assist with a very reasonable offer and I'll have to sleep on it for a few nights. I will not go into details as I think that's inappropriate (and probably will not be allowed to) but i think BMWNA has gone way over and above what we'd expected and I appreciate that. We drove our 7 tonight and there's really nothing much else out there that we like except maybe an M5 but it'll probably be another 7. Will keep you updated and that's all for now...

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black

Last edited by patrnflyr; 03-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Final Update: We've settled on trading in our '10 for a'12 model with a few options we hadn't considered before. As stated previously, BMWNA went way above and beyond what I expected with a very good offer and we have accepted it. The car is being built and my wife will receive it towards the end of May. They have been nothing but stellar so far towards this transaction and I'm super impressed. I have bought 9 BMW's over the years and now I know why! Thanks again for you all listening to my dilemma and will update you when the car comes in...

John

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 09 750I
09 750i drive train malfuction

My 7 has been in the shop off and on since January, we took it in for an oil chnage and bmw recall on water pump, the next day we started the car and got the engine malfuction message. we had a turbo replaced to fix ther problem. then drove the car and engine malfunction reduced power, they put a new battery in it, and reprogrammed it and at this time during reprogramming the radio blew up, and who knows what else, because since then its basically been in the shop with all kinds of repairs, they fixed everything and was waiting on apart from germany which arrived, and that was going to be it to get me back on the road.. the bmw dealer reprogrammed it all day yesterday and was calibrating something today on it, they finally called today to say it was ready, I was sooooooo happy , however I was skeptical at fist because I noticed the oil chnage record was not reset as well as rear brakes, as it stated previosuly when engine malfucntion and engine two hot message appeared after I started the car one morning. I finally get in the car crank it everything fine, as i drive off I was thinking oh ow i love this bmw and love this car . and not even a half mile passes and as I begin to smile, BLUNG!! " drive train malfunction redeuced power" well back to the dealership for the 3 loaner. Bmw NA has been great trying to help get this resolved I just need them do whatever it takes to fix my 7. I just want my 7 fixed.. I just dont understand how the dealership could not test drive the car before giving it back to me for this error to occur, I dont understand how they cant repair it with the master technicians and puma cases , the dealer has had my car this time for over a month, and totla bout 3 months, while waiting on master techs, puma diagnoses, parts and reporgramming. its been so long I cant imagine why bmw just wont deliver a new 7 to replace this one. I feel like they have burned up all kinds of electronics with the car programming it. and it will never be back to the way it was, I will just take my chances with recalls in the future., I wish I would have never took it in. If anyone has had these problems with their 7 please post the resolution....to give me some hope... I am so down right now,
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM

Read the note just above yours. Ours has been traced to fuel injectors going bad one at a time. They replaced one and then another would do it. Finally, we gave up and were going to go to a different brand. BMWNA contacted my dealer and made a great trade deal for a new one. We are awaiting the new one which has been offloaded in the US. Won't say much more and will be signing a paper, I'm sure, when we take delivery to shut me up. All I can say is that BMWNA went way above anything we expected and when we were about to jump ship, they again made us firm believers in their company.

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Here's a pic of our new car which we've had for about a month. Trouble free and loaded up. Great car so far and I expect it to be so for quite awhile.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	332056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	332057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0046.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	332058  

Presently---
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'07 M6, Silverstone
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: VW touareg
I had been having hesitation and what I felt were rough shift issues for a while, but the dealer said those were normal. I had a drivetrain malfunction error and brought it in and the diagnosis was a faulty sensor.

The second drivetrain malfunction happened as the service advisor was bringing me my car, so they decided to keep it. They ended up replacing all of the fuel injectors and it seems to run fine now (2 days ago).