Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 525i automatic
1990 535i transmission help

my transmission isnt shiftig gears correctly or in time. it jumps from 1st to second faster than it should. i try to go nto higher gears but my it makes a sound of back firing and wont switch into the higher gears. its a used transmission from the part yard. i ran a couple diagnostics onthe transmission. the air sensors are fine. i try to put it into limp mode but i dont think that works anymore. im not mechanically inclined, this is what my best friend told me whatthe problems could be. he said i would probably have to take the whole transmission out again and find the problem or just get a whole new or used transmission from the part yard. im just curious, is there any other diagnostics i can run before i considered getting a new transmission or taking the whole thing apart and figure out the problem?
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
1. Search for and download the E34 bentley manual.
2. Search for and download the troubleshooting tables compilation from the same manual.
3. Check if your transmission is low on fluid, due most likely to leaks. The bentley manual has a very specific method of checking this. Many ordinary mechanics screw this up royally because they don't know our car. So please read that manual.
4. Check on your fluid's quality....whether its dirty or not. If you have a dipstick, use that. Red is good, dark red is good, reddish brown is ok but you're getting there, brown means monitor regularly and its best to change anyway, black means you'll have to change and flush the transmission or do a fast change interval, very expensive affair. If you don't have a dipstick, the mech will tell you about this when he checks levels for you.
5. Assuming that your tranny fluid is in good shape and sufficient, delete all the error codes on your car via the stomp test (check the maintenance sticky at the top of these forums for more info) or unclamp and reclamp your ecu with a pause of a few minutes in between to delete error codes. Then start the car, let it idle for around 5 minutes, then go for a drive and see if the symptoms have all been resolved.
6. If all of this does not work....then you probably do need to visit a transmission shop for expert advice.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM

code#-1232 or 1233

the tranny fluid is brnd new. i did the stomp test that cme up with the codes 1232-throttle wide open switch or 1233-throttle idle switch i couldnt really tell but im sure its one of those two. now tha i mig have identified the problem where do i go from there?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
The tranny fluid is brand new but did you ensure that fluid levels are correct? You need to check this with the tranny warmed up and not when cold. Failure here is a common problem. Please check Bentley for more details.

Sounds like the throttle position sensor. Yes, that has been known to mess with the tranny but your symptoms are the worst I've read about. Please download the troubleshooting tables and read through the auto tranny section. And please search these forums on throttle position sensor or tps cleaning. I've posted detailed instructions elsewhere as have others.

The tps is located to the immediate right of the throttle body. The bentley manual will have pictures of this if you don't know what it looks like.

After cleaning this up, delete the error codes, then start the car and leave it at idle for 5 minutes, then with brakes on and car stationary, shift through all the gears to notice if there is anything different (do this before you do the tps cleaning and code deletion so that you have a reference), then go for a test drive.

When you come back, pull the codes again, and pull the codes again after 1 day's worth of normal driving. If the tps code reappears, you'll have to purchase a dmm (digital multimeter) and test its resistances directly. Dmms cost like $5 shipped off ebay and you shouldn't pay more than $10 retail. If you already have this, then test the resistance of your tps both when the engine is cold and when it is hot, before doing the cleaning etc.

Good luck.

rgds,
Roberto
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM

I performed the dmms test on the sensor and it past everything. any other ideas on what the problem could be?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
I suspect a faulty gear selector switch. However, I don't know how to test it to confirm the probblem. Based on that, I did a little searching on the interwebz. Here is a link I found where someone was having the same problem as you:

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/987...witch-problems

What is the date of manufacture of your car? Here is a link to realoem.com for the gear selector switch. I did not know if you have the M50 or M20, but this page shows all. Just click on the blue link. It will give you the part number that you can then search online for the best deal. Here is the link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=&series=E34

You may be able to find a used one from a salvage yard for a reasonable price. I don't think that this is a common failure item, so a used one would probably be good.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 AM

its an m20.and my car is 1990 so im guesing in 1989? do you need a specific date of manufacture? ill look into that and imma look into this gear selector thing as well. i'll try and get back to you soon. thank you
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girmawi View Post
its an m20.and my car is 1990 so im guesing in 1989? do you need a specific date of manufacture? ill look into that and imma look into this gear selector thing as well. i'll try and get back to you soon. thank you
Go to realem.com, plug in your vin information and the go to the auto transmission section. You can now search for any part number and diagram on your car.

Here is the actual diagram for the year of your car (notice that this diagram is for manufacture date up to 9/92):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=25&fg=15&hl=8

It is item # 7 on the diagram (part #25161219149).

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM

I just talked to my friend that was working on my car before he left back home and he said its not the gear selector and he said hes pretty sure its an electrical component called the pontemeter or something like that. he said its located to the left of the throttle under the hood. can you clarify what the correct name and information about this meter?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM

or its called a potentiometer?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
I just talked to my friend that was working on my car before he left back home and he said its not the gear selector and he said hes pretty sure its an electrical component called the pontemeter or something like that. he said its located to the left of the throttle under the hood. can you clarify what the correct name and information about this meter?
Quote:
or its called a potentiometer?
Sounds like he is describing what is commonly referred to as a throttle position sensor. If faulty, it can cause the transmission problems you refer to. You can check the TPS with an ohm meter.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold