Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry on Facebook

Blackberry leads this week's top People Talking About This gainers with over 9.6 million stories published on user's pages. The brand has begun to use global pages, merging page Likes and PTAT with 27 different region pages.

1. BlackBerry _ 9,686,063

5. iPhone _ 269,169

Blackberry benefits from the merging of its pages, as it makes all pages appear healthy with customer engagement regardless of region. For example, from the screenshots below, the U.S. page helps to bolster the Australia/New Zealand page's PTAT by contributing to the total global PTAT. Global brands in the future could introduce a metric calculating the overall engagement ratio for all of their pages. For instance, Facebook could start to tell brands the percentage of region specific page contributions to the total PTAT.

http://www.insidefacebook.com/2013/0...service-pages/

https://www.facebook.com/BlackBerry

Last edited by MCSL; 01-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 PM

BlackBerry vs. Apple

“I reached out to an acquaintance who is a divisional sales executive for one of the big carriers in North America. He agreed to answer a few questions that I had on the condition that I don’t ask him anything that is confidential. So, here is what I got from him:

Question – What kind of phone are you currently using?
Executive – Apple iPhone 4S

Question – 4S? Why not iPhone 5?
Executive – There wasn’t a big enough change from the 4 to the 5, so there was no reason for me to upgrade.

Question – Do you like it?
Executive – Yes, it’s a great phone.

Question – What were you using prior to the iPhone 4S?
Executive – BlackBerry Bold 9900

Question – Did you like it?
Executive – Yes, that was a good phone as well. Great keyboard.

Question – Then why did you switch to an iPhone 4S?
Executive – I just needed a bigger screen, and the iPhone has it.

Question – What do you like about the iPhone 4S other then the screen size?
Executive – I love the GPS tracking. It’s something that I use ever day. It’s very precise.

Question – Is there anything that you don’t like about the iPhone 4S?
Executive – I’m a heavy user, so the battery doesn’t last me the day. I wish I was able to swap in a fresh battery mid day rather then having my phone hooked to the charger half the time.

Question – You had a chance to try the BlackBerry 10, what do you think of it?
(His voice turned to excitement and he was very quick to answer)
Executive – Hands down, it’s going be the best phone on the market.

Question – Really? What did you like about BB10?
Executive – Many things. It’s loaded with a lot of neat stuff that people will like, but for me, I really like the BB Balance. It’s like you will be able to play in 2 different sandboxes in the same park.

Question – Will you be switching from your iPhone 4S to the BlackBerry 10 when it arrives?
Executive – The first day I can, I will switch to BB10.

Question – Are you going to get the one with the physical keyboard?
(He thought for 2 or 3 seconds before he answered this one)
Executive- I was so impressed with the screen keyboard, that I will be getting that one. I like having a big screen.

Question – What else did you like about it?
Executive – The new added functions to BBM are amazing. This alone will sell phones.

Question – How much will they cost?
Executive- We haven’t been told about pricing, but a lot of it will be built into the contract price. We want to make it affordable to as many people as possible. I’m sure that a lot of other carriers will be doing that as well.”

Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Had a BB for over 4 years and loved it. My Android has pluses and minuses. So all the hype on BB10 made me go look at the new features:

Is this it?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/10-most-an...rry-10?slide=1

Flow Interface - do not see any need for this
Blackberry hub - no need
Active frames - no need
Touch screen keyboard - shrug, I use Swiftkey and it does the same thing
Timeshift camera - no interest as I do not take pictures with my phone
App world - shrug, haven't been to Android's Play thing in many months
New browser - don't care; rarely surf the web on a phone
Balance - this is interesting. On my old BB and my Android I run different email programs. Touchdown on my Android handles my work account and Gmail handles my personal account. My IT has no access to my phone (since our buyout I stopped submitting expense reports for my phone as corporate now wants my entire bill to give me $75 back...they can sit and spin)
Connected Calendar - have this already with Touchdown
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Had a BB for over 4 years and loved it. My Android has pluses and minuses. So all the hype on BB10 made me go look at the new features:

Is this it?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/10-most-an...rry-10?slide=1

Blackberry hub - no need
Active frames - no need
Balance - this is interesting. On my old BB and my Android I run different email programs. Touchdown on my Android handles my work account and Gmail handles my personal account. My IT has no access to my phone (since our buyout I stopped submitting expense reports for my phone as corporate now wants my entire bill to give me $75 back...they can sit and spin)
There really is no hype. It's just RIM trying to make themselves look relevant again. Honestly, the only cool thing about BB10, I've seen, is the "peeking ability" that is built into the multitasking of the UI. That's pretty slick.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
S-Note is an island of information. Last I checked it had no cloud sync to any other app. Lose your phone, lose your info.

Evernote does require a Premium account to store files locally (available when no internet connection) AKA "offline notebooks". But a HUGE advantage to Evernote is cloud synching notes across different machines or even cross platform. I do from my Win7 PC to my Two Macs, iPad and iPhone all day.

There really is no comparison
You can sync your S Note with your laptop or Desktop which should be enough for note taking on a smartphone. The average person out there just wants to sync their notes,notes with pictures or audio with their laptop or desktop. If you want to sync your info with more than one computer such as a desktop and laptop then you could sync to both. I see it as a HUGE disadvantage that they created the software/application without giving the end user the option to choose to just sync on their own devices without needing to go through their cloud server.

It would be like smartphones not giving you the option to just store your contacts in your smartphone where you could only store them with their cloud server so that in case you lose your phone you don't lose all your contacts as they would have a copy of everything on their server. No thank you but I would rather keep everything on my own device and they offer the option to sync/upload all personal contact info to their sever only or those that choose to do so on their own without being forced into doing so without any options. Too much freedom is slowly leading to practically no freedom,privacy or options these days.
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 01-06-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
There really is no hype. It's just RIM trying to make themselves look relevant again. Honestly, the only cool thing about BB10, I've seen, is the "peeking ability" that is built into the multitasking of the UI. That's pretty slick.
all mobile OS should have multiple profile capability especially for those who BYOD. totally ridiculous to have corporate lock down your personal phone completely.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
all mobile OS should have multiple profile capability especially for those who BYOD. totally ridiculous to have corporate lock down your personal phone completely.
There's apps that do that now, but I was reading somewhere that Android is supposed to get it soon. Android on tablet just got separate user profiles in the latest update.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 PM

As we look ahead to 2013, it's becoming increasingly clear that the new year provides an unprecedented opportunity for Research in Motion to make a huge comeback.

This is largely because the market is dominated by two platforms: Android, which is seen as an unsecure malware magnet, and iOS, which comes from a firm that has never learned to spell "IT." In fact, Apple's biggest failures were Lisa and the Apple Server, both created on Steve Jobs' watch (Lisa was even his product, initially) and both targeted at the IT market.

While phones and tablets are largely a consumer play, they are increasingly being used for business. Even in a BYOD world, IT still has a great deal of say about the hardware connected to its networks and services. As we start 2013, and as RIM brings out its next-generation products, the company will stand alone as the only mobile solutions provider focused on IT first and the needs of users later.
RIM will still need corporate and consumer users, but given the threats the company faces, this differentiator could drive the back into market. Let's look at a few other reasons why.

Apple's Flaws: Siri, iCloud Disappoint
Siri represents an Emperor's New Clothes issue that is cropping up around the iProducts. Siri, a voice command application that Apple has heavily marketed, really doesn't work well. During Steve Jobs' tenure, the company was able to create this image that, if a user had problems with the offering, then it was uniquely the user's issue, but Tim Cook hasn't been able to contain the customers talking among themselves and discovering that their problems are in fact common.

Apple's success is partially due to the fact that users have largely ignored the problems with their products, while Apple has been incredibly effective in making those products seem trivial. However, MobileMe was terrible and iCloud is only marginally better. Both were critical to strong integration with Microsoft Exchange—which is a typical user requirement when tied to phone use for work.

If Apple users start looking at the faults in their devices—particularly in areas such as mail integration, where RIM is strong—the stage is set for a strong backlash favoring RIM.

Android's Flaws: Security, Poor Mail Support
Google recently pulled Exchange support from its mail platform as a free offering. Android lives in the world of free, and even though Google Play is second only to the Apple App Store in terms of the number of apps, app developers have long complained that they can't make money from a customer base that will accept only free stuff. Into this tension Google now pushes Exchange support—for a fee.

On top of this, the device market is highly fragmented, which makes the operating system hard to secure and explains why Android is a malware magnet. A few months ago, for example, McAfee attacked an Android phone, causing it to cycle until it overheated and failed catastrophically. The mere idea that a phone might catch fire in a plane or office, should it be widely believed, would crater Android sales.

RIM, like Apple and Microsoft, operates in a way that promotes apps that people buy and focuses on making products secure. As a result, BlackBerry devices are likely to be favored by those abandoning Android.

Over Half of Android Devices have Unpatched Vulnerabilities

http://www.cio.com/article/716220/Ov...es_Report_Says

Enter BlackBerry 10 to Save the Day?
I've had some time to talk to RIM about its upcoming platform, and it appears to address each one of these shortcomings with a vengeance. BlackBerry 10 is based on an OS that is used to operate machinery. RIM started with a business oriented core and then addressed consumer needs—as opposed to the more common approach of putting a business façade over a device that was targeted first at consumers.

If the market spits up Apple and Android devices for their inability to meet business user needs, RIM stands alone—or will, on Jan. 30, 2013 and the days that follow the BlackBerry 10 launch—as the company ready to embrace them. This is an unprecedented opportunity. As a result, 2013 could be an amazing year for RIM.

http://www.cio.com/article/724827/Wh...lackBerry_Year

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
As we look ahead to 2013, it's becoming increasingly clear that the new year provides an unprecedented opportunity for Research in Motion to make a huge comeback.

This is largely because the market is dominated by two platforms: Android, which is seen as an unsecure malware magnet, and iOS, which comes from a firm that has never learned to spell "IT." In fact, Apple's biggest failures were Lisa and the Apple Server, both created on Steve Jobs' watch (Lisa was even his product, initially) and both targeted at the IT market.

While phones and tablets are largely a consumer play, they are increasingly being used for business. Even in a BYOD world, IT still has a great deal of say about the hardware connected to its networks and services. As we start 2013, and as RIM brings out its next-generation products, the company will stand alone as the only mobile solutions provider focused on IT first and the needs of users later.
RIM will still need corporate and consumer users, but given the threats the company faces, this differentiator could drive the back into market. Let's look at a few other reasons why.

Apple's Flaws: Siri, iCloud Disappoint
Siri represents an Emperor's New Clothes issue that is cropping up around the iProducts. Siri, a voice command application that Apple has heavily marketed, really doesn't work well. During Steve Jobs' tenure, the company was able to create this image that, if a user had problems with the offering, then it was uniquely the user's issue, but Tim Cook hasn't been able to contain the customers talking among themselves and discovering that their problems are in fact common.

Apple's success is partially due to the fact that users have largely ignored the problems with their products, while Apple has been incredibly effective in making those products seem trivial. However, MobileMe was terrible and iCloud is only marginally better. Both were critical to strong integration with Microsoft Exchange—which is a typical user requirement when tied to phone use for work.

If Apple users start looking at the faults in their devices—particularly in areas such as mail integration, where RIM is strong—the stage is set for a strong backlash favoring RIM.

Android's Flaws: Security, Poor Mail Support
Google recently pulled Exchange support from its mail platform as a free offering. Android lives in the world of free, and even though Google Play is second only to the Apple App Store in terms of the number of apps, app developers have long complained that they can't make money from a customer base that will accept only free stuff. Into this tension Google now pushes Exchange support—for a fee.

On top of this, the device market is highly fragmented, which makes the operating system hard to secure and explains why Android is a malware magnet. A few months ago, for example, McAfee attacked an Android phone, causing it to cycle until it overheated and failed catastrophically. The mere idea that a phone might catch fire in a plane or office, should it be widely believed, would crater Android sales.

RIM, like Apple and Microsoft, operates in a way that promotes apps that people buy and focuses on making products secure. As a result, BlackBerry devices are likely to be favored by those abandoning Android.

Over Half of Android Devices have Unpatched Vulnerabilities

http://www.cio.com/article/716220/Ov...es_Report_Says

Enter BlackBerry 10 to Save the Day?
I've had some time to talk to RIM about its upcoming platform, and it appears to address each one of these shortcomings with a vengeance. BlackBerry 10 is based on an OS that is used to operate machinery. RIM started with a business oriented core and then addressed consumer needs—as opposed to the more common approach of putting a business façade over a device that was targeted first at consumers.

If the market spits up Apple and Android devices for their inability to meet business user needs, RIM stands alone—or will, on Jan. 30, 2013 and the days that follow the BlackBerry 10 launch—as the company ready to embrace them. This is an unprecedented opportunity. As a result, 2013 could be an amazing year for RIM.

http://www.cio.com/article/724827/Wh...lackBerry_Year

I owned a Storm II. One of the worse devices I have ever used. I am not confident that RIM can get it right. The Playbook was flop - no native email, really?

Nonetheless, it would be good for the industry if RIM could produce a decent product. I will wait and see, but won't hold my breath. I've been a Storm owner and I have a PB for about 12 days before returning it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM

BlackBerry 10

"I had a great conversation today with a girl I went to university with, who incidentally was going to buy an iPhone5 using her Christmas money. So we had lunch and I asked her "Why are you buying an iPhone5?" and she proceeded to tell me that she wanted a fast browser, an awesome camera & Instagram - all of which her Torch couldn't provide. She also hated all the battery pulls with her BB.

So I told her about BB10, I told her about the time-shift camera, I showed her the browser scores from html5test.com comparing the iPhone5 & BB10, and told her BlackBerry 10 is going to have it's own photo-editing software, which means you don't need another social network to get cool pictures (it's going to get Instagram too, don't worry).

After 20 minutes, she agreed to just hang tight for a few more weeks because if she can get all that, plus still get BBM (which now has voice, video & money! She didn't know!) and all the integrated messaging of her BlackBerry which makes her life easier than she had no reason to switch, she gets the best of both worlds - work + play.

A good majority of iPhone & Android users are former BlackBerry users and only left because the multimedia experience wasn't up to the industry standards. I.E. if the multimedia experience was better they would not have left.

That's what BlackBerry10 brings, RIM improved on everything you loved, and not only fixed but will lead the industry in everything you left for: Browser, Camera, Apps, OS stability. People will come back to BlackBerry slowly but surely, because at the end of the day - it's still and always will be the best communication tool in the world, which is what you spend 90% of your time doing. The other 10%, well they've raised the bar on that too."

Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Is this it?
There’s more. All the BB10 features will be revealed on Jan 30.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Blackberry hub - no need
Active frames - no need
BlackBerry 7

For those who don't need a leading edge smartphone, take a look at a BlackBerry model that is similar to President Obama's phone. The President may upgrade to BB10 in the future.

BlackBerry Curve 9310 / 9315

RIM and T-Mobile have announced the most affordable BlackBerry® smartphone on T-Mobile's nationwide network - the BlackBerry® Curve 9315. Powered by the BlackBerry® 7.1 operating system with 3G connectivity, the sleek new smartphone is easy-to-use and provides tools that enable customers to stay connected to the people and information that matter most.

"At T-Mobile, our goal is to delight customers. The new BlackBerry Curve 9315 will delight customers with unprecedented value while also allowing them to combine their mobile business and personal use in one great device," said Brad Duea, senior vice president of product management at T-Mobile. "The Curve 9315 is the most affordable BlackBerry smartphone on our nationwide network and provides our customers with a wide variety of productivity and social features to keep them connected and make their mobile lives easier."

Combining an intuitive interface with a QWERTY keyboard, the BlackBerry Curve 9315 features built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity for voice and data, enabling customers to access the information they need when and where they need it, and Wi-Fi calling, allowing calls and messages over an available Wi-Fi network. With a dedicated BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM) key, preloaded apps for Facebook® and Twitter® and the Social Feeds 2.0 app, customers can easily interact with their friends, coworkers and social networks whether it's instant messaging, posting or tweeting.

The new BlackBerry Curve 9315 offers a 3.2-megapixel camera with LED flash and digital zoom as well as video recording capabilities. Customers also have the ability to geo-tag the location of their pictures by utilizing the smartphone's built-in GPS. In addition, the smartphone features a microSD card slot for up to 32GB of additional media storage and a built-in FM radio letting customers tune in to local FM stations. With the BlackBerry App World storefront, customers have exclusive access to a wide range of apps, allowing them to enhance their smartphone experience with entertainment, personalization and productivity apps of their choosing.

The BlackBerry Curve 9315 will be available in an exclusive pre-sale for T-Mobile business customers beginning January 16 and is expected to be available in T-Mobile retail stores, via www.T-Mobile.com, and with select dealers and national retailers beginning January 23, 2013. For well-qualified customers, the Curve 9315 will require a $49.99 out-of-pocket down payment and 20 equal monthly payments of $10 per month via T-Mobile's Equipment Installment Plan (EIP), with a two-year service agreement and qualifying T-Mobile Value voice and data plan. Customers may also purchase the Curve 9315 for $49.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate card, with a two-year service agreement and qualifying T-Mobile Classic voice and data plan.

"Great social communication with friends through BBM, cheap to operate, practically indestructible and not the best browser which will keep the data usage down."

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones...urve-9310.html

BBM Voice
Switch your BBM conversation from text to a call and speak to your BBM contacts, from virtually anywhere they are in the world for free over Wi-Fi®. You'll instantly know whenever BBM friends are available to call.

BBM Connected Apps
With BBM connected apps, you can chat with BBM friends within your apps and select BBM contacts right from the app to invite them to join in on the fun or download it.
Facebook®, Twitter®, BBM™ Music, BlackBerry® Travel™ app and BlackBerry App World™ are now BBM connected apps. So you can share your Facebook status update, Tweet, songs, travel itinerary or apps directly to contacts through BBM, without ever leaving the BBM connected apps.

http://us.blackberry.com/bbm.html?II...hero:bbm-voice

The BlackBerry® Travel™ app makes it easier than ever to plan, book, manage, and share your travel activities. Find a deal on hotel and car rental options, or arrange for limo service to and from the airport. Get quick notifications if your flight's delayed or cancelled, and find a new flight right away. No matter where you do your booking, the automatic trip scanning feature can pull your trip details into the app, so you don't have to. See all your travel updates in one place as they happen, and don't worry about double and triple checking your plans; if you've missed anything, BlackBerry Travel will notify you, covering all your bases.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...25652/?lang=en

http://www.T-Mobile.com/

http://www.boostmobile.com/blackberr...ger-unlimited/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5930

RIM will continue to support BB7 phones.

Last edited by MCSL; 01-09-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Obama’s BlackBerrys

President Obama is well known to be a fan of the BlackBerry. So much so, that he has two of them. Identified in this picture aboard Air Force One as two BlackBerry Curve 8300 handsets, he is rarely snapped by White House photographers without a BlackBerry either in shot or holstered to his belt. BlackBerrys are the only mobile devices approved by the U.S. government for low-level classification document sharing.

http://www.zdnet.com/presidential-ga...0008511/#photo

But when Obama is on the go to and from the White House to conduct his presidential duties, he takes his (multiple) BlackBerrys with him to keep him connected to what's going on at the 'office.'
In the past couple of years, he has upgraded his old BlackBerry Curve 8300 devices with newer BlackBerry Curve 8900 smartphones to keep ahead of the technological curve. And no, that's not yet another BlackBerry phone in his hand -- that one stays in the car.

http://www.zdnet.com/presidential-ga...0008511/#photo

Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
In a world, surrounded by two dominant forces, there stands but one man. All alone. Facing impossible odds, he stares down two goliaths who control the world, yet he is armed with but a limp fish. His mission, to singlehandedly turn the tides of the world. To bring back former glory to a giant that lays sleeping, in a coma. A giant that once ruled the industry, who seemed unstoppable. He seems amblivious to all know facts, consumer desires and weakening pulse. For he knows, that if he can ignore all facts and negativivity, he can post some of the oddest testimonials from imaginary people proclaiming the overwhelming evidence that the dominant goliaths are actually inferior sloths. That his former giant, in one fell swoop, will slay them down and man kind will notice. They will notice that everything they thought they wanted in a smart phone was wrong. They will notice that they don't like iThis or S3 that. They will wake up in a world where one player emerges as the champion. A champion, who may have not done anything right for the better part of a decade, but is ready to take the torch and move mankind forward to a new day. MCSL is that man, and his mission is ongoing. Taken one post at a time, never responding to a single person, to a single laugh, he is the man trying to save his former giant. One man, one mission, who will never admit defeat....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
In a world, surrounded by two dominant forces, there stands but one man. All alone. Facing impossible odds, he stares down two goliaths who control the world, yet he is armed with but a limp fish. His mission, to singlehandedly turn the tides of the world. To bring back former glory to a giant that lays sleeping, in a coma. A giant that once ruled the industry, who seemed unstoppable. He seems amblivious to all know facts, consumer desires and weakening pulse. For he knows, that if he can ignore all facts and negativivity, he can post some of the oddest testimonials from imaginary people proclaiming the overwhelming evidence that the dominant goliaths are actually inferior sloths. That his former giant, in one fell swoop, will slay them down and man kind will notice. They will notice that everything they thought they wanted in a smart phone was wrong. They will notice that they don't like iThis or S3 that. They will wake up in a world where one player emerges as the champion. A champion, who may have not done anything right for the better part of a decade, but is ready to take the torch and move mankind forward to a new day. MCSL is that man, and his mission is ongoing. Taken one post at a time, never responding to a single person, to a single laugh, he is the man trying to save his former giant. One man, one mission, who will never admit defeat....
He appears to be the same with Honda products too.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM

BlackBerry 10 App - Newsstand

BlackBerry Newssstand is a storefront application filled with a plethora of magazines from around the globe. Ranging from media and entertainment, to beauty, gossip and sports, there are more than enough magazine vendors for you to choose from. Digital content is downloaded and purchased using your BlackBerry ID so there are no issues if you switch devices or for tracking your account and subscriptions. An interesting option is how you have the option to not only access content in different languages but storefronts in other countries as well in this version.

Magazines can be purchased on a single issue basis and Newsstand currently offers two subscription plans for BlackBerry users. As demonstrated in BlackBerry World, Pixelmags will be offering an AnyTime reading feature which allows users to view content with a one-time seven day free period upon launch of the app or through a subscription plan to read as many titles as they want. I happen to love this concept because each month (or in this case during the trial), it grants you unlimited reading for a specified time. You can keep track of this by using the timer toggle switch at the top to access the countdown clock.

The application itself is native and as such demonstrates all of BB10's distinct features and flow including the dark theme appearance, easy to navigate interface, buttons, and pull down menus. I have to say the carousel magazine rack flows well and I haven't noticed any freezes or delays while scrolling through the selections. At the top is a handy sorter, which lets you navigate through the different topics and categories. While at the bottom is the store button and search feature to find your favorite.

Downloading and viewing magazines is a fairly simply process. It certainly helps that you can start reading as the content downloads to your device. Seeing the periodical itself is a completely different story. Due to the high resolution of the display the cover images look absolutely brilliant. Pages can be viewed in both portrait (single) and landscape (double) modes and it's just a matter of swiping to move back and forth or double tapping to zoom in.

http://crackberry.com/pixelmags-brin...-blackberry-10

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM

BlackBerry 10

"I'm ready to buy a BlackBerry again.

I just got back from a meeting with Research In Motion to check out the latest build of BlackBerry 10. And, even on a developer device without final hardware, I'm confident in saying I'm ready to move back to using a BlackBerry. Look, I don't know what the application selection is going to be like at launch, and applications are huge, but I'm incredibly, incredibly impressed where RIM is going.

The entire user interface is blazingly fast. The only place I saw a single stutter was inside BlackBerry World, the store where you can purchase songs, music, videos and applications. Speaking of BlackBerry World, RIM promises that carrier billing will work at launch with more than 50 carriers, and that in-app purchases can also be applied to your monthly phone bill.

I'd be remiss if I didn't discuss BBM (BlackBerry Messenger). The application supports animated images for each user now, and I can't help but imagine the funny .GIF images my friends are going to outfit their profiles with. If you meet someone and want to add them to BBM, you won't have to fumble trying to remember your PIN or theirs, simply tap your phone and NFC will take care of the rest. Bam.

The camera application is super cool, too. BlackBerry Time Shift allows you to take a picture of anything, and then move forward or backwards in time to pick the best shot available. It works by grabbing a burst of photos in just a second, and then you can save the one where everyone is smiling. Or where there isn't blur from movement. Sure, I knew the feature existed already, but this is the first time I've seen it first hand.

The lock screen is even compelling. There are notifications for messages and other clients, but the really cool part is that you can slide your finger up from the bottom at any time, using a feature called BlackBerry Flow, to unlock the phone. As you move your finger up, the lock screen begins to vanish and the home screen appears. It's a really clean UI, and you don't have to tap the power button just to get to the unlock screen. Nice work, RIM.

The weirdest part? I'm writing all of this based on my opinions on unfinished software and without even seeing the final hardware. I'd be pretty happy carrying the developer device, given the great software I'm already seeing.

RIM needs to impress a lot of people on Jan. 30 with its new devices and its final software. I can confidently say, however, I'm already drooling."

Last edited by MCSL; 01-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Facebook Event

Facebook doesn't host many events at its corporate headquarters in Menlo Park, CA — a hint that something big is likely in the works.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
Facebook Event

Facebook doesn't host many events at its corporate headquarters in Menlo Park, CA — a hint that something big is likely in the works.

Hopefully all contacts won't automatically be synced with Facebook. BB was known to be safe and secure and I liked them for that. There are plenty of smartphones running Google's OS which pretty much have all the permissions on earth to control your smartphone so we do not need more of these on new smartphones. Hopefully this new Facebook thing will just be an application option that users can choose to install or not install.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM

So while RIM is ****ing around and releasing 1 year old spec hardware, Sony just showed this monster off

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/s...nced-ces-2013/

Quote:
Sony's flagship smartphones may not have set the world on fire so far, but the company is making another concerted push in 2013, launching two top-end phones with near-identical internal specs. The Xperia Z is the main player here, with refined mirrored panelling across the sides and back and a machined power button being the only physical undulation from the 5-inch oblong. Sony's put in its latest tech from across the family, being the first device to house its Exmor RS sensor capable of HDR video, and a 1080p 5-inch TFT Reality Display (that's 443 dpi), packing the upgraded Bravia Mobile Engine 2 to augment colors and contrast on videos and stills. From its imaging arm, Sony's cleaned down its on-screen camera interface and is now more inline with its standalone point-and-shoots and NEX range.

Work has also been done on improving the algorithms behind its automatic settings -- now dubbed "auto i+" -- while the phone-maker has caught up to the competition with a 9-megapixel burst mode at 10 fps and the ability to capture stills during video. It's even upgraded the front-facing camera to a 2-megapixel Exmor R sensor, while the rear-facing 13-megapixel primary shooter will be able to capture HDR video -- offering up a new solution to dim filming conditions. Software additions to Jelly Bean Android, alongside those Sony entertainment services, include a battery stamina mode that will monitor and switch off apps when the screen is off, while you'll also be able to add necessary apps to Sony's white list. The phone will be LTE-capable, with a potent Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and (perhaps surprisingly, given how the phone looks) IP55 and IP57 certified water-resistance. It'll also be the first phone to communicate through NFC with Sony's family of new HDTVs, something we'll be hearing plenty more about later this week.
Goodbye RIM, I've found my next device.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
So while RIM is ****ing around and releasing 1 year old spec hardware, Sony just showed this monster off

looks to be quite the hardware. any pricing on this? is the hardware for the hardcore and top 1%'ers? and will apple even be able to compete against this spec sheet?

honestly, the best thing that they can do for themselves right now is to put out a super duper high end phone with all this fixin's that is only marketed to the 0.1% top income earners to drum up sales.

Last edited by HW; 01-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Sony was always behind here in Asia with Smartphone specs. This is the first time Sony got ahead actually. If the OS is right for RIMM it will always be easy for them to bump up the specs with a new device after. The specs from Blackberry on their new device are actually good for a smartphone. 2Gb. Of RAM should be plenty. Apple is still with 1GB on their current iPhone 5 so that is double the RAM but as the Apple guys say is that sometimes their 1GB out performs the 2 of others due to better memory management. Let's see how their new system runs before we judge them.

I still have a new Bold 9900 sitting in my drawer. Bought it new and played with it for a month or so. Then I got bored with it and threw it in my drawer as it felt outdated and could not open Google maps without and street view without crashing. Also no proper translate applications that worked properly with messenger applications like Whatsapp or Line.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I still have a new Bold 9900 ...
BlackBerry 7 - BBM Voice

BBM is a fast, convenient and inexpensive service for BlackBerry® customers that gives them the ability to instantly chat with a friend, family member or colleague, and know when their message has been delivered, and read. With the new version of BBM, customers have a new option - they can talk with their BBM contact across the globe for free over a Wi-Fi connection. In an instant, customers can switch between texting and talking, or talk and text at the same time. For consumers, especially in developing markets, the BBM Voice feature offers an attractive way to talk with friends and family near and far, and staying in contact will be easier than ever as the holiday season approaches. For business customers, BBM Voice allows for enriched collaboration.

BBM version 7 includes some great updated features including the new BBM Voice. BBM Voice lets you instantly initiate a voice call with BBM friends for free over a Wi-Fi connection.

In any BBM conversation, simply tap the call button and you'll start a voice call - it's that simple. BBM Voice will add some great depth to BBM, providing you the ability to escalate a chat to a voice call when the situation calls for it. This feature should be huge in emerging markets or for anyone calling long distance as there will be no long-distance charges.

Additionally, in BBM you'll be able to see each users status as well so you'll know who is available for a call and who isn't. When on a call you'll see a split-screen view and can still use any other apps on your device. So you can still use the chat function as well as send pictures within BBM or even check email or use the browser.

I've played around with it a bit today and I have to say it works without a hitch. I've made numerous calls to contacts all over the world and they've all worked flawlessly. BBM Voice is tightly integrated in BBM so there is really no learning curve at all. If your contact is available, just tap the status icon to start a BBM Voice call and that's that.

While you're on a call you still have the ability to use the standard BBM chat for text or sending files, and you can also jump out to other apps on your device, just like with the phone itself. Check your email, view you calendar or browse the web while on a call. The only thing you need to remember is that to answer the call you need to press the Send button.

BBM Voice is truly an amazing addition to BBM. If you travel often or talk to friends/family long distance, it can be huge help to your long-distance charges. Being able to "escalate" a BBM chat to a voice chat with just one button is a no-brainer. Gone are the days of sending voice notes back and forth -- BBM Voice is where it's at.

BBM 7 is currently available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone for registered users. Once you install the app, you can see the status icon for contacts that are also using BBM 7. If their status is green, tap the icon to start a call and you're off to the races. It's awesome.

BBM Voice includes a number of convenient features:
• Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
• The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
• BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
• BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone's speakerphone.
• If it's not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.

Another important feature of BBM version 7 is its integration with a customer's BlackBerry ID, which is designed to back up their BBM profile, groups and contacts so they can automatically be restored in the event they switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone, including to a BlackBerry® 10 device.

BBM Voice works solely over WiFi via BlackBerry ID. While you can turn your mobile coverage off regular BBM will still work, that's because of BIS working securely through your WiFi connection. I pulled out my SIM card and tried to call and truth be told it works! Two BlackBerrys without SIM cards can still talk crystal clear using BBM Voice with the BBs logged on to WiFi networks.

RIM will continue to support BB7 phones.

http://nerdberry.net/2012/12/26/brea...rry-data-plan/

http://crackberry.com/bbm-voice

http://crackberry.com/how-use-bbm-voice

Last edited by MCSL; 01-10-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
... messenger applications like Whatsapp
WhatsApp Messenger released a new beta update,v2.9.526, for your BlackBerry. WhatsApp Messenger is a multi-platform messaging app that allows you to use your smartphone data plan to contact friends, family and whomever you pick without the need for a minutes or texting plan.

Download this app to send videos, images and voice notes to all your contacts. If you so desire, you can even make group conversations with multiple friends. You can also block contacts, share your location, customize notifications, email chat history and even broadcast messages to all the contacts you select.

http://nerdberry.net/2013/01/10/what...d-to-v2-9-471/

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/bb

http://blog.whatsapp.com/

http://www.whatsapp.com/

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/2360/

Last edited by MCSL; 01-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM

I had mentioned before of how Evernote was bad and others that are similar and now I see this article out there about stuff like what I had said.

http://news.yahoo.com/computer-scien...045327563.html

“Today I have on my desk a smartphone, a tablet, and a Mac computer,” explains Lixia Zhang, a computer scientist at UCLA. “To move data between them, the request goes all the way to the cloud — God knows where that is — so it can come back here to another device that is two feet away… That is wrong, it is simply wrong.”
330 Coupe Sold
Closed Thread