Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0d
Blower fan not working x5 e53

Blower fan just stopped working. Have checked all the fuses and all or ok. Also checked the pollen filter also clear. Changed the FSU with one bought fron OEM supplier and still no joy. The control unit seems to function and shows fan speed and temperature but no blower fan working. Do you have any further ideas ??? Thanks Nev from the frozen North!
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
If you are sure the FSR is working (New ones have failed.) then it must be the blower motor. That involved dash removal. Do a search on xoutpost as I remember somebody did a DIY on the removal/replacement. Figure on taking at least one day for the whole job if not two.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks Zulu love the hat, hate the sound of the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu95 View Post
If you are sure the FSR is working (New ones have failed.) then it must be the blower motor. That involved dash removal. Do a search on xoutpost as I remember somebody did a DIY on the removal/replacement. Figure on taking at least one day for the whole job if not two.
Will probably see if I can get some power to the fan motor via the FSU connector just to see if it powers up, also probably buy a brand new FSU from the BMW dealership. Any chance it can be the Automatic Climate Controle unit ???

All suggestions greatly appreciated !
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM

There is a chance it is the head unit. Again, try a search over on xoutpost for the HVAC head unit as I think there are a few threads on troubleshooting and replacement. I like the power the blower via the FSR connector idea. The blower is a pain to get at directly.
GL.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Sorted !

Thanks for your help. I did put power back up the hedhog connections multi plug and the fan motor kicked in straight away. Finally pinpointed that there was no variable voltage reading from the head unit at the multyplug that connects to the hedhog. This is the very fine wire. Trimmed a little of the wire insulation to check the multipin connection and guess what ~ variable voltage output. Wha Hoo !
The problem was solved by tracing the bad connection. Glad I did not have to strip the fan out. The hedghog was also working fine.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Good news! It is nice to win one the odd time.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Just when I thought I had it fixed !

When my dear wife was driving out the gate last week she turned the fan speed down in the car and guess what ! the fan motor stopped completely again. Changed the hedghog and checked all the wiring. seems my last fox was just a bit of luck. The fan works if I supply power directly to it so that is a blessing. Sounds like the control unit. The unit lights up and shows all displays but no fan or change in fan speed. Any idea where one can get a good second hand or reconditioned control unit in the UK for the climate control ??
Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Until you can find/fix the head unit can you Heath Robinson a temporary repair? I see things are a little white in parts over there.

GL.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 AM

Temp repair

Yes just a bit chilly ~ have used the power supply cable to the fan and connected via a 5 amp toggle switch. so can turn the fan on for use in short bursts ~ just need to remember to switch it of when leaving the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0d
Hey Guys,
I run an '03 X5 and have had a similar issue. My mate is a BMW technician and advised that there is a 'resistor' that can fault in the air-conditioning control panel (apparently easily missed by the inexperienced technicians). According to him it is a simple fix costing $5 for the 'resistor', however, BMW practice is to change the entire control panel. It may be worth doing a dealership diagnostic to make sure you are not throwing good money after bad by changing what does not need to be changed.

In the icy UK and no fan? You have my pity. At least you can rug up to keep warm, try South Australia in 38 degree heat with no fan. Argggg!!!

Its a pity my bro' is in the NT or he would have a 'home job' to do.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 AM

Found the fault

Thanks for the reply. I finally tracked the fault down to dirty terminals in the hedhog connector multi pin socket. After checking all the other components I thought this was worth a try. I purchased some electrical terminal cleaner fro Halfords at a massive cost of 4.99 sprayed it on and let it dry. Plugged it onto the hedgehog and it worked. Magic !!!What a waste of time and effort checking hedhogs, control units and making up a tempory wiring harness to bypass the problem. Dirty terminals was all it was. Has been working fine now for 3 weeks thank goodnes as it is -8%c this morning. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 745 Li
Blower dead. Replaced FSU and still dead. Finally reached the blower wheel/blades with a stick and freed the seized wheel/blades and blower came back the life. The wheel is located inside the housing of the FSU.