Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740iL
Unhappy Check Engine Light Codes - HELP!

I have a 2001 BMW 740iL that has about 150,000 miles on it.

My check engine light keeps coming on so I went to the auto parts store for a free test. Here is what came back.

P0300 - Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5 misfire detected (Reported Fixes: Catalytic converter(s) replaced with P0306, P0308 - Ignition coil pack(s) replaced with P0306, P0308)

P1159 - Fuel Trim Adaptation Additive High (Bank 1)
P1161 - Fuel Trim Adaptation Additive High (Bank 2) (M52: Engine oil temperature sensor circuit)

Both of the cam shaft sensors have been replaced twice but we are still getting the check engine light. I was also told that it sounds like it might need the timing chain replaced. I about fell over when I was quoted $8,000 to fix that and they were not even sure if that was the issue.

Now we are also experiencing clicking when trying to start. I had noticed that the interior lights were coming on and off without touching the key or the car & the doors would lock & unlock on their own as well as when I would try to get into the trunk. We are getting a new battery since it will no longer hold a charge but am worried that there is a short somewhere in the alarm system that keeps draining the battery.

Any idea's or suggestions as to what needs to be done would be much appreciated!
Advertisement