Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
Purpose of wire connector

Can anybody tell me what is the purpose of this wire or what's it for? It's located on the inside window trim and attach to the trim itself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357495829.498414.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	356226  
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesJH82 View Post
Can anybody tell me what is the purpose of this wire or what's it for? It's located on the inside window trim and attach to the trim itself
Heh heh... that darn connector cost me an hour or more in search time.
I never did figure out what it was for.

I sure hope it's not something important!

See details here (see post #60):
- One user's experience with diagnosing the front left driver door window regulator (1)

And, see details here (see post #56):
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Was Loctite - Now it's: How NOT to fix a BMW E39 window regulator (mistakes galore)!)

See also the many photos in these threads:
- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Hmmm... when I labeled the wires, there were 10 connectors but only 9 places to connect them.
  1. door light (1 connector),
  2. memory module (1 connector),
  3. master switch (3 connectors),
  4. woofer & tweeter (3 connectors),
  5. air bag (1 connector).
  6. ? (1 connector)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-06-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Idk either whats it for but it does connect to the memory module on the door. I'm thinking could it be some kind of security sensor if someone tries to break in, than the alarm will sound? Not sure what its for. Will be nice to know tho
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
It's either for the heated or folding mirror option.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Don't think so has nothing to do with the mirror as it has its own separate harness
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
it does connect to the memory module on the door
Maybe we're talking about different two-wire connectors?
The one I am showing is clearly maroon, and has red/white striped and blue/white striped wires, and it definitely does NOT connect to my memory module.
Here's an old picture of the wire set going to my memory module.

Quote:
Don't think so has nothing to do with the mirror as it has its own separate harness
I'm still unsure of what the maroon two-wire (red/white + blue/white wires) connector is for - but there was a discussion of what it might be for over in this thread, starting at about post #64 to about #68.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
AFAIK, they're all heated when the ignition switch is in position 2. See the owner's manual p. 57.

Check Bentley's vol 2 p. ELE-667 connector X257. WS/RT and WS/BL wires connect the electochromic rearview mirror to the driver's side electorchromic side mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

If it's not for the chromatic mirrors, I wonder what the M5 folding mirror connector looks like?
- How to add M5 remote power folding mirrors to your E39 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

NOTE: I know nothing about the M5 folding mirror connector so I'm just asking if anyone knows the shape of 'that' connector?

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 01-18-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 PM

The question was asked again today ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelizondo_20 View Post
Installing new speakers on the driver side and noticed this little guy hanging by its lonesome. Can someone help me find his home?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:38 PM

For the record, the question came up again today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Driver's door airbag and purple connector
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I took off my door panel to fix an issue with the window. After successfully completing it and putting everything back together I noticed that there was a purple female connector that I could not find a place for. The connector has two wires coming out of it, one is white with a red stripe and the other is white with a blue stripe.

After searching for any unused male leads I decided to just close it up and see what happens. My airbag indicator light is now lit. When I opened up the door panel again, I followed the airbag wire and it goes straight into a cluster of cables that goes through the door into the vehicle.

I have searched this forum, Google and the repair manual. Has anyone come across this issue before or can shed some light on how I can solve this issue? I have included two pictures.

See also:
- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1) & what is the empty two-wire connector in the front driver side door used for anyway (1) (2)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Maybe I am tired... was the original question ever answered? The connector in the first photo is for the 'window is closing but obstruction detected' switch in the top trim.

I don't remember a purple connector from either the left or right front door. Maybe for the third speaker?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
Maybe I am tired... was the original question ever answered? The connector in the first photo is for the 'window is closing but obstruction detected' switch in the top trim.

I don't remember a purple connector from either the left or right front door. Maybe for the third speaker?
Looking back, I think you're right.

There are two connectors discussed in this thread.

The OP asks about what appears to be a BLACK connector, which, the OP initially said attaches to 'the trim itself' but then later said it went to the memory module.

My response was regarding the MAROON connector, which is usually unattached in many of the E39s, but which might go to a mirror option (I don't remember what we came up with for that connector).
Old 06-07-2014, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
I -think- the black one is for the sensor strip along the top of the window frame that senses when a foreign object (human appendage) is about to be crushed by the closing window edge and tells the window to back off a couple inches.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Same color!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP44compare.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	444774  
Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
I -think- the black one is for the sensor strip along the top of the window frame that senses when a foreign object (human appendage) is about to be crushed by the closing window edge and tells the window to back off a couple inches.
That makes sense.

I've never seen that connection, probably because it doesn't show up in a normal window regulator R&R.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
anti-pinch sensor

FYI regarding pinch sensor:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 PM

Looks like the E46 crowd has similar two-wire unused connectors in the driver's door ...
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Inside front drivers side door panel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmk23 View Post
Does anyone know where this connector go?