Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Transmission issues, Please help

I have a question about my 2003 BMW 745LI, with 90k miles on it. I recently got the mechatronics sleeve replaced along with the pan, bottom gasket and filter. I bought three quarts of tranny oil from BMW my self and brought it to the mechanic. I got a transmission fail safe mode error and noticed there was a leak this is what triggered the transmission service. The car had the transmission fail safe error however was shifting fine before the service.

I want to emphasize that before the car went into the shop it would shift a little hard into first every once and a while. All other gears shifted smooth and perfectly. I picked the car up yesterday from the transmission service and I noticed a distinct difference immediately. The car is shifting hard into every gear, as if it was a manual transmission. I have noticed that the RPM are also fluttering when coasting. It shift really hard coming to a stop from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to second. If stopping abruptly it slams into first gear from 3rd, it feels like as if I was getting rear ended. Right before I got home coming out of a complete stop it reved up and then slammed into first gear. I don't understand how the car drove for the most part perfectly before the service and now so terrible after the service. Please help
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Try resetting the transmission adaptation values in INPA. You need to find the source of the leak too. When my car RPM's fluttered at a coast BMW replaced my transmission under warranty.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM

Well the leak was coming from the mechatronics sleeve, that is what was replaced at the mechanic leading to these problems. The car drove fine, did the sleeve, pan, gasket, and filter now it is slipping and banging into almost every gear.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@tt View Post
Well the leak was coming from the mechatronics sleeve, that is what was replaced at the mechanic leading to these problems. The car drove fine, did the sleeve, pan, gasket, and filter now it is slipping and banging into almost every gear.
You forgot about mechatronik adapter which is more important than anything else in this tranny service
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM

You forgot about mechatronik adapter which is more important than anything else in this tranny service

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I haven't read anything that suggests that the adapter should be change because of a seal leak>
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@tt View Post

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I haven't read anything that suggests that the adapter should be change because of a seal leak>
Use search, check willson DIY
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Use search, check willson DIY
I do not understand this, do you mean search for 'willson diy" or what? I did and it brought me back to this thread.
"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. The banking powers are more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. They denounce as public enemies all who question their methods or throw light upon their crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe."
Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsa1 View Post
I do not understand this, do you mean search for 'willson diy" or what? I did and it brought me back to this thread.
You don't know how to use search probably:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5667934
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
You don't know how to use search probably:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5667934
Probably. That extra L in Wilson did not do the search any favors.
"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. The banking powers are more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. They denounce as public enemies all who question their methods or throw light upon their crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe."
Abraham Lincoln