Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
AGA Coolant Pipe Discount - Maybe

Hey Forum,

SFbay on another thread has done some great work in showing that these N62 engines will overheat even without the weep hole leaking. Signs point to the coolant pipe leaking inside the valley pan but not bad enough to come out the weep hole. I have contacted AGA to see if we can get a discount if we buy several. See response below. PM me or post here if you would legitimately be interested. Thanks.

Thanks for contacting me regarding the AGA cooling pipe, I am a big fan of Bimmerfest and will work with you guys no problem, as you know AGA special in BMW, we have many repairs that save BMW owners a lot of money on the N62 as well as others. Just in this last month we have developed a solid repair of the secondary air injection codes, caused by plugged air passages in the heads, the repair is simple and effective, we have designed a tool that can clean the passages with out removing the heads.
I think the best and fastest way to decide what we can/ should do is to talk on Monday, please call Monday when it is good for you, I get in at 8:00

Best Martin.

All German Auto
Your Dealership Alternative
______ Martin
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
A BMW, 7 Series of course

Mein Auto: LS460
Any estimates on the price?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM

The pipe is $606 and the other gaskets need are about another $200 on their website. I will find out tomorrow what the discount will be.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
Hey Forum,

SFbay on another thread has done some great work in showing that these N62 engines will overheat even without the weep hole leaking. Signs point to the coolant pipe leaking inside the valley pan but not bad enough to come out the weep hole. I have contacted AGA to see if we can get a discount if we buy several. See response below. PM me or post here if you would legitimately be interested. Thanks.

Thanks for contacting me regarding the AGA cooling pipe, I am a big fan of Bimmerfest and will work with you guys no problem, as you know AGA special in BMW, we have many repairs that save BMW owners a lot of money on the N62 as well as others. Just in this last month we have developed a solid repair of the secondary air injection codes, caused by plugged air passages in the heads, the repair is simple and effective, we have designed a tool that can clean the passages with out removing the heads.
I think the best and fastest way to decide what we can/ should do is to talk on Monday, please call Monday when it is good for you, I get in at 8:00

Best Martin.

All German Auto
Your Dealership Alternative
______ Martin
They usually don't sell to the public. Very interesting I can post up the prices I paid thru my Indy if you want a base line????

Also a fix for the carbon is HUGE

Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
They usually don't sell to the public. Very interesting I can post up the prices I paid thru my Indy if you want a base line????

Yes please post.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post

Website looks like they will sell to anyone. I clicked the buy it now button and it didn't ask anywhere if I was a business or certified mechanic.

Here is the pricing info from the website:

PARTS INCLUDED WITH THE KIT
QUANTITY PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
1 AGA-N62-6061 Cooling Pipe Exp $548.00
1 AGA-N62-V SEAL Eng. Block Front Seal $46.00
1 AGA-N62-35 Outer O-ring $4.00
2 AGA-N62-32 Inner O-ring ($4.00 each) $8.00
TOTAL $606.00
PARTS NEEDED TO REPLACE COOLING TUBE (NOT INCLUDED WITH THE KIT)
QUANTITY PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
1 11-53-1-710-048 Eng. Block Rear O-ring $2.85
1 11-51-7-507-717 Heat Pipe / WP O-ring $2.54
1 11-51-7-508-535 Water Pump Gasket $6.38
1 11-51-1-439-976 Pipe Pump / Valley Pan $17.03
1 11-14-7-507-278 Valley Pan W/ Gasket $80.35
2 11-61-7-521-181 Intake Man Gasket ($36.04 each) $76.08
2 07-11-9-903-596 Cam. Adjuster O-ring ($3.61 each) $7.22
1 12-31-1-439-988 Alternator Feed Pipe $14.90
TOTAL $207.30
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 760i
I do not know if I have a problem that warrants this investment but I did look at the AGA web site from the other threads related to leaking. Looks like the v12 requires a different pipe but AGA will sell that, too. I would be interested in knowing the full price for the pipe plus all components that are necessary to make the repair.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Here is my price sheet from two months ago from my indy. His prices included his mark up and the only pipe he would install is the AGA Pipe.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	356495  

Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Update

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Martin from AGA. He is the developer of the AGA pipe and the guy in the videos on YouTube. We talked a lot about the coolant pipe and the system in general. He explained that he would not be concerned seeing 105-108 on idle speed viewing the temp on the instrument cluster Hidden menu or in INPA. He said that the sensor that reads that temp is the hottest point of the cooling system and located on the thermostat housing. It reports +/- 5 degrees. He said if he saw 110 degrees then he would be concerned. He recommended replacing the sensors if you are concerned as he said it is a normal item to be replaced.

He explained that the temp drops when you turn your heat on high and the blower on high because the coolant enters the heater core which acts like a 2nd radiator cooling the fluid more. I was able to get to a 72 degree reading today with leaving my heat on high and the car at idle for 1 hour.

He believes that if you need the coolant pipe that you will indeed see coolant coming out of the weep hole. If not, enjoy your car, change oil every 7K and burn premium fuel.

His pipe is the original solution to the weep hole problem and he assures me that the materials that he uses are superior to those that have copied his design. For instance his seals are made out of Biton and not rubber. The pipe is the highest quality aircraft aluminum. He does not want to sling mud on the site about the competitors and in general said you get what you pay for. The vendor that carries the one with the stainless steel sleeve (name left out on purpose) has a gap in the sleeve that would not create even pressure on the seal. No sleeve should be needed. He was very knowledgeable and seemed like a good guy. Again he spoke to me for 45 minutes.

If you need a coolant pipe (leaking from the weep hole) PM me first.

Good News : He also has a solution for the carbon on the heads. He has developed a tool that will remove the carbon off the heads. It is in production and will be available for sale in about 30 days. He is going to send me a picture. He said it would cost around $250 and could be used multiple times. He was very knowledgeable on our cars and has developed 2 fixes for the common scare repair items 1) Weep Hole Leak and 2) Carbon on the heads.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
That's good news...! One question... why should we change the sensor on the thermostat housing if its not leaking? Does it provide incorrect readings over time? Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to call them.. Thank you.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM

He said the sensor can go bad and that he has seen it before. He said the DME works off that sensor. But again he said it reads =/- 5 degrees.

I also contacted Wahler Thermostat and they replied that they have no other lower temp thermostat for our cars. I e-mailed them back and asked them to have an engineer recommend a thermostat that we could retrofit into the housing. I have not received a reply back as of yet.

Last edited by wjjklj; 01-07-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
He siad the sensor can go bad and that he has seen it before. He said the DME works off that sensor. But again he said it reads =/- 5 degrees.

I also contacted Wahler Thermostat and they replied that they have no other lower temp thermostat for our cars. I e-mailed them back and asked them to have an engineer recommend a thermostat that we could retrofit into the housing. I have not received a reply back as of yet.
I just replaced mine with a Wahler from FCPEuro.com.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Based on my conversation today with AGA I wouldn't worry about it unless you see 110+ reading or coolant coming out the weep hole. Still yet a lower temp thermostat sounds good. If i find one I will gladly share....
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Based on my conversation today with AGA I wouldn't worry about it unless you see 110+ reading or coolant coming out the weep hole. Still yet a lower temp thermostat sounds good. If i find one I will gladly share....
I would say 95c.. I know 85c is cooler, and maybe fine, but just wondering how far off it will change things in DME if any.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM

If I haven't mentioned it already, I would like to be added to the list of the group buy for this pipe. Whether I need to do it now or down the road, it will have to be done at some point

Last edited by PAPER; 01-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
I would like to be on that list. How soon can you give us info
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayehog View Post
How can I get help with this issue?

2004 745i has been stalling & shutting down, I changed Air Filter, MAF and still shutting down. I also noticed or heard a sound as if a motor was running need the driver-side firewall near steering column. This running sound stops if I restart engine, the malfunctioning engine warning error pops up occasionally. Car idles rough after warming up as well... Thanks for any help.
I am sorry to be rude, but you have already posted this question in your own thread. This thread is here for a totally different reason. Your best bet is to wait for someone to reply to your thread, you will only anger people if you seem pushy and posting in other topics. I am sorry if I sound "too rough". I read your post, and if I had an answer for you I would have replied. I enjoy helping others, and wish I had an answer for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Understood, wasn't sure how this process worked! Thanks a lot.......
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Martin from AGA. He is the developer of the AGA pipe and the guy in the videos on YouTube. We talked a lot about the coolant pipe and the system in general. He explained that he would not be concerned seeing 105-108 on idle speed viewing the temp on the instrument cluster Hidden menu or in INPA. He said that the sensor that reads that temp is the hottest point of the cooling system and located on the thermostat housing. It reports +/- 5 degrees. He said if he saw 110 degrees then he would be concerned. He recommended replacing the sensors if you are concerned as he said it is a normal item to be replaced.

He explained that the temp drops when you turn your heat on high and the blower on high because the coolant enters the heater core which acts like a 2nd radiator cooling the fluid more. I was able to get to a 72 degree reading today with leaving my heat on high and the car at idle for 1 hour.

He believes that if you need the coolant pipe that you will indeed see coolant coming out of the weep hole. If not, enjoy your car, change oil every 7K and burn premium fuel.

His pipe is the original solution to the weep hole problem and he assures me that the materials that he uses are superior to those that have copied his design. For instance his seals are made out of Biton and not rubber. The pipe is the highest quality aircraft aluminum. He does not want to sling mud on the site about the competitors and in general said you get what you pay for. The vendor that carries the one with the stainless steel sleeve (name left out on purpose) has a gap in the sleeve that would not create even pressure on the seal. No sleeve should be needed. He was very knowledgeable and seemed like a good guy. Again he spoke to me for 45 minutes.

If you need a coolant pipe (leaking from the weep hole) PM me first.

Good News : He also has a solution for the carbon on the heads. He has developed a tool that will remove the carbon off the heads. It is in production and will be available for sale in about 30 days. He is going to send me a picture. He said it would cost around $250 and could be used multiple times. He was very knowledgeable on our cars and has developed 2 fixes for the common scare repair items 1) Weep Hole Leak and 2) Carbon on the heads.

Instead setup a group-buy thread where members can post up in a list if they are interested in a discounted group buy. You can use that number of members (say 7 or 12 that sign up) and negotiate a discount with AGA.Even a 10% discount would be welcome to members and who knows, more folks would sign up too!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:58 AM

Last edited by cmpcpro; 01-09-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 AM

Last edited by PAPER; 01-09-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Guys, just in case they do not go through, I can work something out. AGA usually does not allow discounting on the pipe from Authorized Dealers like us, but we can make a significant discount on the expansion kit so that the overall total cost will be cheaper.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 02 745I
Proud Customer of bimmerzone

Im Francisco and can honestly say Vincent at Bimmerzone help me out a lot with getting parts quickly to me and at great price's, 100 times better then dealers price and with putting my 02 745i on the road again got all new coolant hose and AGA coolant pipe + expanded kit and install it all my self. Car been running great, temp stays at 103c to 105c. Call him for prices and he could help fellow bimmerfest members out save some money .
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 02 745I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzone View Post
Guys, just in case they do not go through, I can work something out. AGA usually does not allow discounting on the pipe from Authorized Dealers like us, but we can make a significant discount on the expansion kit so that the overall total cost will be cheaper.
Keep up the great customer service and prices thanks for all the help and late night lol Ps Francisco
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745I
I would like to be on the list also....
Drilled/Slotted aftermarket rotors

2006 Nissan Armada
Basic Silver
Gianna Wheels
JL Audio System/ Headrest monitors